Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Companies that offer cheap international calls

• 05-10-2005 10:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭

I've seen these in the newspaper. The numbers usually start with 0818. They offer cheap calls to other countries. You phone the number advertised and then are prompted to put in the international number you wish to dial. Apparantly they are very good.

However the one i tried did not offer the option of callin UK mobile customers. I am calling from an Irish Vodafone phone. And havent the option of calling from a landline. Does any1 know a service that can provide wat i'm looking for?

Alternatively, does any1 know of any other way of making cheap international calls?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 faustian

Aha, these work on revenue shared numbers in that telcos can offset the carrier cost from the shared revenue they get from the numbers. Unfortunately the small kickback on an 0818 number does not come close to covering the carrier cost to a UK Mobile :eek:

Try and see if you can get a calling card from a shop? These sometimes offer good value and if you call the 1850 number, you get a once-off surcharge on the calling card (varies), then pay the rate per minute to the mobile. On Vodafone and the mobile tarriffs they only charge you 30c per call. Double check this, but that's what I use with mine for international calls when I've no access to a landline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

Have a look at the VOIP solutions Skype (www.skype.com) and Blueface (www.blueface.ie). I use Skype to call the US every now again and it is dirt cheap.

If you do not have broadband, have a look at Pure Telecom. We use these guys at work and they offer very good rates. We phone the UK and South Africa quite a bit but the phone bills are not as high as I would have thought.

Of these two solutions have a good look at the VOIP. Major savings to be made here.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Winning Hand

I use Vartech, extremely reasonable.

Advertisement