Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another new Ipod launch next week!

Options
  • 05-10-2005 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭

Invitations have been sent out for an Apple press conference for next wednesday October 12. Its expected to be the launch of the next ipod range with video playback and harddrive sizes up to 80Gb. sounds very interesting, if they throw in more music format compatibility, a radio and line-in then i think they might have me. Price rumours are

iPod v5
    20gb $299
    40gb $399 (single-platter HD.. should be as thin as the 20gb)
    80gb $499 (dual-platter HD)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

they are the most ease of use player out there but their functionality and extra features blow, can't wait to see what they give on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Hydromonkey

Here's an apparent leaked photo, dunno about the authenticity of it though
    ipodvid.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Didnt apple say they werent going to do video for the forseeable future?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭thetrickykid

Jaysus, that yoke looks massive. I'd imagine it'll be the unveilling of 5G ipod alright, but wouldn't be certain it'd have video capabilities.

“Whether people want to buy a device just to watch video is not clear - so far the answer’s been no. Devices that do video… have not been successful yet. No-one’s figured out the right formula.” - Steve Jobs (Paris Apple Expo)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

Steve Jobs previously said people weren't going to use Flash players then he goes and launches the nano so I would take that quote about video with a pinch of salt, if this doesn't turn out to be an ipod with video then its only a matter of time before they do launch one. I just hope they but a fecking radio in it, how hard is that???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

Think Secret usually know their stuff. But you can never be sure with apple. Linky http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0510oct12.html . I wouldn't have though we'd see a new iPod so soon, we'll have to wait and see I suppose. That article makes a lot of sense. I hope it is a new one by 3rd gen is pushing on but I dont want to buy a new one because there will be a new design shortly.

yeah makes sense alright, other articles i've read too seem to think video ipod is more likely now to be a 2006 release, we'll wait and see i suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

It does look big, unless it is just a big screen on a tiny unit, the wheel would be very small if so.
    5th version but I bet this computer wizards in apple still havent bothered to look at any internet forums and change the stuff people have been moaning about since day one. Expect another bag of faeces with a dire battery, poor sound, crap headphones, ahhh but doesnt it look nice..... 50% of its cost due to its marketing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

I wouldn't have though we'd see a new iPod so soon, we'll have to wait and see I suppose.

I think there are only about 80 shopping days left till Xmas........ I think it would stupid for them not to release another Xmas "must Have Item". I have a 3rd Gen 30GB Ipod and I love it. But I dont think I would upgrade for a while unless it has something amazing, If it supported Xvid/Divx and the screen was good enough Id be tempted

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

There's also the rumour that this launch is about films being able to be downloaded from iTunes.

sinecurea wrote:
    There's also the rumour that this launch is about films being able to be downloaded from iTunes.

That has been going around for a while. I like the idea, if the price was right. But in fairness if that was to happen -

a) It would be launched in the US first, we wouldn't see it until next year
    b) Eircom would clean up because everyone would be flying over their cap.

I must say I like owning the real thing when it comes to DVDs. Still if anyone can pull it off it would be Apple. Didn't the release some new codec or something last year at the Jobs note, I forget what its called. Anyway if the price was right, good compression, and you could burn the easily, a couple of times I think id go for it.

That has been going around for a while. I like the idea, if the price was right. But in fairness if that was to happen -

a) It would be launched in the US first, we wouldn't see it until next year
    b) Eircom would clean up because everyone would be flying over their cap.

A lot of people already get there films by downloading from bittorrent sites illegally and play them on other portable video players anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

I'm still amazed that no one cares that they are one of the worse sounding MP3 players around, unless you use the lineout.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

It's only a ipod :confused:
    I'm still amazed that no one cares that they are one of the worse sounding MP3 players around, unless you use the lineout.

My taughts to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Hey all,

Did anyone hear what the big announcement was?? I can't anything about it on the net!?

well the US is just waking up, its on at 10:00 a.m. on the west coast, so thats 7 hours behind (i think), that means won't be on until 5 this afternoon our time

Oops! they are actually 8 hours behind us so that announcement is at 18:00

comet wrote:
    Oops! they are actually 8 hours behind us so that announcement is at 18:00

The apple store is being updated at the minute. Looking forward to seeing what they have. and watching the Steve Jobs thingy later. Last I heard it is to be an ipod with video support but will not be called a video ipod, and video will not be the main focus. Sorry if that doesnt make sense but im in a rush! www.thinksecret.com have a read

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

From engadget.com

"Ok, so we’re still having issues, but here’s what we’ve got so far. Apparently there’s a Salling Clicker replacement for the Mac—a Mac remote, as it were. It’s called FrontRow. It’s a Bluetooth device, and apparently looks a lot like a shuffle.

We also have word of a new, flatter iMac with built-in iSight. This guy will have a larger drive, FrontRow, and will cost the same as the current 17-inch model—ships today.

The new iMac lineup prices are as follows: $1299 US for the 1.5GHz 17-incher, $1799 US for the 2.1GHz 20-incher.

New iPod announced! The new iPod, as speculated, features video capabilities and the wider display, but it’s still a music-first device.

The device will feature a 2.5-inch display, QVGA resolution (320 x 240), and will MPEG-4 h.264 (natch), and presumably Quicktime.

The new iPod will be 30% thinner than the current 20GB iPod (making it 0.44-inches thick—say wha?), and will feature a 60GB version (which should be thinner than the current 0.63-inch thick 20GB iPod), and editions of both in black.

The 20GB should go for $299, and the 60GB for $399. They’ll be shipping next week.

What’s the device named, you ask? The iPod. That’s it, just The iPod. Well spare you the Prince jokes. The iPod will have TV out.

Stevie has iTunes 6.0 up there—only about a month after introducing iTunes 5.0.

iTunes 6.0 will also feature video and the iTunes Music Store will feature Fairplay DRMed video downloads (big surprise, right?).

At launch over 2,000 music videos will be made available at a cost of $1.99 apiece. You can download iTunes 6.0 starting today.

Oh, and one more thing…

It’s not only music videos you can buy. No, Apple’s set up to allow you to purchase TV shows for $1.99 apiece. Get Desperate Housewives or four other ABC shows premiering on iTunes at two bucks an ep. Videos are native QVGA resolution."

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Apple.com is updated now...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Well here it is

_40903000_videopod-apple203.jpg

Taught they might have made it wide screen :confused:

30gb and 60gb versions available.

news.bbc.co.uk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

As usual they've only added enough to make it an upgrade, but left out enough so they still can upgrade it again, next year. No mention if they've fixed any of the issues with the sound quality. Of course that not a priority for most people. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

What issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Hmmmm, I think that talk was on in the BBC tonight. Lots of Apple posters up around the place, lots of hot ladies too. Must have been the same thing. It appears the BBC are hiring out TV studios as conference rooms now ;)

John

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Does it support Divx/Xvid? what kinda video's will it support?

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

bard gave the details of the video support in one of the other ipod threads

Advertisement