Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what do you think of nui maynooth?

Options
  • 05-10-2005 11:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭

There is nothing 2 do.the only good thing is its only 2 euro back 2 dublin,but in saying that the people are nice enough and there's plenty of people from the country :) but hardly anyone from the north or is that just me

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭*marie*

Hmmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭ClareBear

Everyone's from Longford! donegal11 what did you expect? Some sort of metropolis? It's a little village.

Sometimes I like it, sometimes I don't. At the moment I'm liking it again. You'll meet the soundest people you're ever going to meet in Maynooth. Keep away from the locals and you'll be grand (only joking)

Oh and go to the LA, it rocks!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭dango

I bloody love the place. I'm as happy as a pig in the perverbial...
    I find the diversity makes it great. Hearing Monaghanians and Corkonians *try* to speak to each other is simply hilarious...
    "the only good thing is its only 2 euro back 2 dublin"-ouch, not true!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Nimrod's Son

Maynooth is fine as small towns go. The people are nice (generally) and there's a selection of decent pubs. The fact Dublin is in commuting distance is also a handy bonus. All anybody needs really!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

donegal11 wrote:
    There is nothing 2 do.the only good thing is its only 2 euro back 2 dublin,but in saying that the people are nice enough and there's plenty of people from the country :) but hardly anyone from the north or is that just me

What are you looking to do, without alcohol?

• Advertisement

I think with donegal11 we have a bit of a Moaning Michael on our hands ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭donegal11

Don't get me wrong maynooth is "grand" a nice college with nice people but in fairnesss most people in maynooth didn't have it down as first choice on the cao bar people who live in kildare/west dublin and by the way i was one of the few people who did put maynooth down first choice with plenty of points 2 spare :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭base2

There is nothing to do? How so.

Sports, societys, a nice locality, places to eat and drink, bit of shopping and the rest of Dublin if you're still bored. No worse than any other college.

Take a trip up to Athlone IT and then you'll see what a boring college is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Lilly81

then change college mr donegal!!! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭DingChavez

what base2 said. If you can't find anything to do it's your own fault. Not the college. (b^_^)b

I think he just felt like complaining about something ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭roxychix

hey
    i know loads of people from donegal who go here but sayin that i am a fourth year so have met alot of people over the years. i am from donegal and alot of people from home go here we had a s.d (south donegal)reuinion in the su last night saw loads of people from home. just go out and meet people you would be surprised how many people you actually know from a friend etc.
    roxychix
    (south donegal lass)

Speaking of societies, what ones did ye join?

Last year I joined Mikado, Music Soc, Drama Soc, Games Soc (cause they had the nicest sweets) and one other one I can't remember.

Didn't stick at any of them though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Teller

Games Society is good enough but full of nerds. Which is understandable. Music Society is full of people that don't wash. I joined the juggling Society but didn't last long, the novelty wore off fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Deadlocked

The one thing that I really hate is the ports blocked on the internet.:mad:

Otherwise its pretty class up here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

i hated it for 3 years,
    now i miss it.
    come back in 2006

• Registered Users Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

donegal11 wrote:
    most people in maynooth didn't have it down as first choice on the cao bar people who live in kildare/west dublin and by the way i was one of the few people who did put maynooth down first choice with plenty of points 2 spare :D
    The majority i've talked to did have it down as first choice, many of them not from kildare/east dublin(though in fairness there were a lot). It was my first choice, i'm not from the aformentioned region and there are actually a f*ckload of people from Donegal around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭dr zoidberg

It was most certainly not my first choice. And to my surprise only about 4 other people in my year ended up here :( . Although this year a fair few from my old school are in NUIM.
    Kinda funny how people keep calling it a "small town". It's an average sized town in Irish terms. I think it's handicapped by its proximity to Dublin in a way, people automatically go to the city centre or to the suburban shopping centres to spend their money meaning that local businesses are less succesful. Country towns tend to have almost everything because they have to really, even if they're smaller in population terms.

Some well-known towns Maynooth is bigger than:
    Ballina
    Skerries
    Midleton
    Thurles
    Nenagh
    Ashbourne
    Westport

Taken from 2002 census records (the original records were available on CSO.ie but do not appear to be working at the moment). Note that population figures used to compile the above list contain rural area popuations which can give inaccurate estimates of the town size itself. For example Maynooth town has 10,151 with a rural population of 686. Mullingar however has a town population of 8,824 with 6,797 in rural areas. Maynooth town therefore is actually significantly bigger than Mullingar town.

Damn, I must be really bored.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

It was most certainly not my first choice
    Many highly stationed people in the country are of the opinion that NUIM is the best university in the country. (incluiding a highly stationed member of the government, whom I'm friends with) Its close enough to dublin, but not so close that renting a house/room is mega expensive. Its a small enough town, but not so small that theres nothing to do. Its a large college, but not large enough(eg ucd) that people will feel lost and swamped in people.

Ive done some courses and programmes in DCU, AIT, UCD and TCD. I am doing my degree in NUIM.

I absolutely hated Trinity, as it was so full of annoying people.
    snobs, people who boast about their LC points (eg-"I *only* got 585 points, loike!"), people who look down on others because of their wealth and so on.

I thought UCD was ok, they had good enough facilities, but the administration and teachers didnt seem to care about anything. Not a very personal universoty, IMO.

AIT: I went there about 7 years ago for some night classes and I thought it was ok. Just ok.

DCU : I liked DCU.(not as much as I like NUIM though :)) it was my #2 choice on CAO. They have nice facilities, good societies, and interesting courses.

However NUIM is brilliant. My course is interesting and useful, lecturers are sound. Social life is great, as everybody lives within 20 mins walk at most from each other, so house parties are really great. Most are within 2 minutes walk from my place. Theres 3 euro drinks on mondays, and ALDI and dunnes across the road for cheap food/booze.

Societies are great, Im in gamesoc, mikado(online forums society), Minds>(computers), and muck(kayaking society). Theres loads of stuff to do, even if you only join one club. I've just come back from a weekend of kayak surfing in co. clare with the club.

• Advertisement

FuzzyLogic wrote:
    Many highly stationed people in the country are of the opinion that NUIM is the best university in the country. (incluiding a highly stationed member of the government, whom I'm friends with) Its close enough to dublin, but not so close that renting a house/room is mega expensive. Its a small enough town, but not so small that theres nothing to do. Its a large college, but not large enough(eg ucd) that people will feel lost and swamped in people.

Ive done some courses and programmes in DCU, AIT, UCD and TCD. I am doing my degree in NUIM.

I absolutely hated Trinity, as it was so full of annoying people.
    snobs, people who boast about their LC points (eg-"I *only* got 585 points, loike!"), people who look down on others because of their wealth and so on.

I thought UCD was ok, they had good enough facilities, but the administration and teachers didnt seem to care about anything. Not a very personal universoty, IMO.

AIT: I went there about 7 years ago for some night classes and I thought it was ok. Just ok.

DCU : I liked DCU.(not as much as I like NUIM though :)) it was my #2 choice on CAO. They have nice facilities, good societies, and interesting courses.

However NUIM is brilliant. My course is interesting and useful, lecturers are sound. Social life is great, as everybody lives within 20 mins walk at most from each other, so house parties are really great. Most are within 2 minutes walk from my place. Theres 3 euro drinks on mondays, and ALDI and dunnes across the road for cheap food/booze.

Societies are great, Im in gamesoc, mikado(online forums society), Minds>(computers), and muck(kayaking society). Theres loads of stuff to do, even if you only join one club. I've just come back from a weekend of kayak surfing in co. clare with the club.

Gamesoc = joke
    Mikado = even bigger joke
    Muck = no comment.

Alot of clubs are kak and people are dull IMHO, trinity is in the heart of town, you cant compare to the social life there. Maynooths camped up at the bog of no where. Roost, Glen, wow. #
    It was my first choice though, its okay, cant compare to other colleges, they have an actually feel of third level ed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Joke, bigger joke and no comment; That reply was a joke. you cant reduce a good argument of valid and well presented points to a dogmatic pronounciation that a they are "a joke".

College is exactly what you make of it. Looks like youre expecting others to mould college to your liking.

Gamesoc have events on every night. Theyre on par and better than many similar events held around the country. I go to games nights twice a week, and have a laugh.

Mikado *is* a joke. Its a light hearted bunch of forums where people blow off steam and rant and joke about college life.

And since you didnt comment on muck, I wont tell you how great it is(yes I will). Regular kayaking trips to random parts of the country, events, drinkies, film nights, etc.

ah dont take it seriously. I joined gamesoc and nothing took off, alt music society didnt f*all except steal money, i do enjoy the slight bar ex now and then, maybe the buzz in CS is dull. As for mikado, "a joke" describes it pefectly. not really here to debate, giving my opinion is all.

I agree on Trinity being full of annoying people. It's a shame because I love going to college there and there's some very sound people in my class and it's a beautiful place to attend everyday but outside of lectures I spend very little time there. 90% of Trinity students need a good kicking! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭roxychix

yeah i agree that nuim is what you make it i have been here four years love it to bits and next year doing my postgrad here so attached i am from donegal loads of people from my school go here and i joined loads of clubs in 1st year too and its the best thing. the only thing i ahte this year is the knocking down of the bridge to beaufield and meadowbrook it used to take 10 mins to walk to college but now takes 20mins fast walking. again back to the craic last thurs went to roost as usual had a great time got a big bus load of us home the craic was great when we all got off massive so fights and we wnet to three house parties didnt get home till 8 the next mornin luckily i have no lecs on fri so jkust go out and have a good time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 timmyotoole

I was in maynooth for five years and theres one thing id advise /warn anyone comeing here is that "Dont do the really crap Computer science and software engineering degree" as its rubbish. Half the lectures dont know a bloody thing and the other half are some of the worst ***** you will ever meet.

Anyway, maynooth was fine to live in. The night life is non existant in maynooth in comparison to other areas but to be honest i got tired of places like dublin city centre long ago. If i wanted to do some drinking with friends or the like id go to the off-license and drink at home, instead of wasting so much money in a pub.

You have to go join some clubs and societys in maynooth or you will be bored as hell for the first year or two, and as well as that its the best way to meet new people.

In terms of facilities for students, maynooth is baren though. DCU for instance has some great facilities for students i think, but even theyve only gotten good in past year or two. I mean maynooth changed a hell of a lot since i had started, and there continueing to add on to the place. So it can only get better.

Oh and join MINDS and come to the lans. All you need do is bring a computer.

Advertisement