Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motherboards

• 13-10-1999 6:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭

Hey, I'm gittin a new pc and i want a board that can handle future chips !
    What should i go for ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

That's a tuffie...
    The future is a little uncertain about which processor interface will reign supreme. (SLOT-1, Socket-7 Zif, etc...)
    It's hard to tell realy.
    Just go for any upgrade that suits your pocket, I got a nice (upgrade kit) AMD-K6-II--450MHz, 64MBs RAM, and a funky mini-tower case for a penny under £360. (PEATS - Of Parnell St.)
    Since CPUs cost a small fortune, it won't break the bank to get a new motherboard when you want to upgrade to the next-gen system.
    Good hunting, and stay away from intel.

H0 H0 H0...etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭marauder

If you get a motherboard and CPU in PEATs make sure they give you a heatsink or they will charge you 10lids when you go back to get one wink.gif

Ah come on!
    What do you take me for?!
    Like...Eeem...
    "Yeah, please give me a 450MHz CPU, but emmm I won't need a heatsink or fan, I just want to see if I can fry a steak on it..."

But what if I did'nt know about PC's 'n stuff... you think they'd have sold me a CPU without telling me to get a HS&F?
    I shudder to think...

Copyright(c) Dildo Corp.(TM) 1999
    All trademarks are the property or their respective owners. If you believe this message is an illegal/pirate copy, please phone weather-dial on: 1550 123854

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭marauder

<embarrassed> Happened to me sad.gif </embarrassed> - I bought a motherboard and CPU (they fitted the CPU) and I thought the heatsink was in the box with the IDE cables, manuals etc. but when I got home ... no heatsink

To be fair to PEATs they will give you a heatsink for free if you still have the receipt for the board.

Lesson learned - assume nothing....

<ah-well>Ah well, it could happen to anyone...</ah-well>
    You just have to be a w@nker and keep grilling them about what is included.
    (do this for about 40mins, and you should then get everything you need out of them)
    You know, they once sold me a printer without a parallel cable! sad.gif
    ...The B@STARDS!!

Copyright(c) Dildo Corp.(TM) 1999
    All trademarks are the property or their respective owners. If you believe this message is an illegal/pirate copy, please phone weather-dial on: 1550 123854

• Advertisement
Advertisement