Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Early release DSL pricing....

Options
  • 11-09-2001 11:58am
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This dropped in my mail box from a source I'll reveal later (if he so wishes).

Take it for what it is, I have no way of verifying the info but also no reason to doubt it.

"I'm having huge problems registering but I thought you'd want to know that I'v got a connection price £95 plus vat and monthly rental £80 plus vat for dsl 3 gig limit."

<personal opinion>
    At least its DSL.... now at least others can offer it and competition might actually happen.
    3 Gigs is dumb and shows again how Eircom dont understand the internet properly (unless thats 3gig's of *external* data.... with data from the Eircom machines being ignored... I'll eat my hat if it is tho.... lazy greedy feckers.

DeV.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Thank you very much for the info.

IR£80 (almost 100 bucks including VAT) seems, to be frank, simply too high. The 3 GB limit will appeal to the casual Internet user, so it appears they're only targeting casual Internet users here. But then, how can they expect a casual Internet user to pay that much!? The price is 5x what it costs in Germany (and even here you aren't comparing like with like, because over there they don't have a bandwidth limit)... And EVEN with economies of scale and everything, it shouldn't cost more than say 2 or 3x of that in Ireland.

In other words: Eircom have an ADSL product which will appeal to NOBODY. I can hear it already: "due to the lack of interest, we have decided not to roll out ADSL further". In conclusion, the stuff Eircom is smoking must be mighty strong. It's all very sad. :(

PS: I expect Eircom will price the wholesale product such, that nobody will be able to undercut them without turning a loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

what's really depressing is the number of people (myself included) who would pay it.....

(or rather, WILL pay it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

that's some focking BULLSHIZE - Who needs a second mortgage on their house just to get a 2bit piece of crap dsl service capped more fkin times then steve staunton.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I'm on the ADSL trial at the moment, and the download speeds are great... but £80 a month with a 3gb limit? Eircom can smb.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭jaarius

eircom clearly have accountants making the decisions. the casual user wont use that much so they wont want it and its not worth it (due to the limit) for heavy users. man this sucks. i was (sadly) holding my breath on this one hoping that eircom would listen to their customers.

<rant>
    i hate this... so much of this country has benefited from IT and probably one of the groups we need to be leading the charge for a more advanced telecoms network are lagging behind.

and the govt dont get me started on those sacks of sh!t...
    </rant>

j

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Chaos-Engine

Basically it is a very sly tactic

3GB only will work for the casual users as previously mentioned. The £80 is crazy. I didn't think they woudl be that mad... I see it like this... They r trying to say to the ODTR that they offered it and no one took it... Why u ask?

lol
    Because who in there right mind would pay for such an over priced service.

Msg to Esat: DON'T BE AS THICK AS EIRCOM.... £40 a month w/ 5GB limit... or £70 a month w/ no cap

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

80+Vat a month for a 3GB d/l limit?? This is BullSh*t !!!

Once again I ask Eircom - "Are you stoned or just stupid??"

At that price I would expect either NO limit or a much higher limit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭ekehoe

Well, I guess I know what I'll be talking about tomorrow on the radio :-).

That is just wrong. I can't see how the ODTR approved those prices. I can see why Esat filed an injunction tho. There's no way that money is going to be made on this.

Just when you think that you're going somewhere, they throw up another wall. I guess it's time to bring out the big guns. <opinion>

E

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Maybe we should all make our comments DIRECTLY to Eircom ... maybe even to Alfie.

This is such a sickening response to what we (the customer) wants from a DSL service.

Maybe some emails ... ODTR, Eircom, and to the Govt might get some attention ?

I'm sick of being used like this, and being robbed by the greed of Eircom.

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Chaos-Engine

http://www.bizplus.ie/bp_online/news_desk/?ns=3491

thats the link to an article regarding pricing.

got to run

• Advertisement

Thanx for the link Chaos!!

<SNIP>targeted to suit heavy users of the internet for both business and personal use.
    <Lemming Snaps>
    AT £80(+VAT) on a 3GB limit?? I DON'T THINK SOOOOOOOO. WAKE THE F**K UP EIRCOM!!!!!

?This is another milestone for Eircom in our aim to deliver the very best services in fixed line telephony in Ireland,? said Eircom chief executive Alfie Kane.

?There has been much speculation and anticipation for ADSL technology and we are confident that the announcement today delivers customers the very best service at what we believe is a competitive price.

"ADSL, designed to meet the needs of the heaviest internet users, is a welcome addition to the suite of internet services we provide for our customers.?
    [/B/

MY F**KING FOOT Alfie!! Wake up and smell what you're shoveling in it!!! Stop treating us like little kids that don't know any better.

</Lemming Snaps>

Apologies for all that swearing, but I am REALLY angry!!

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭jaarius

pardon my ignorance but ODTR?

j:o

Originally posted by jaarius
    pardon my ignorance but ODTR?

j:o

Thats the Telecomms regulatory body, headed by "Etain Doyle". Basically the industry watchdog

The bizplus.ie article does not mention a CAP.

If there's not cap, then that price isn't too bad really.

Just my thoughts.

I now wonder what the other operators will do .. Esat and Colt. What prices can they offer after this ???

We can only wait and see.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

we are confident that the announcement today delivers customers the very best service at what we believe is a competitive price

competitive against what and who exactly?

Ah yes, £ircom have launched their Concorde of Internet Connections:

Faster than anything around, but it only works in certain areas and by God do you have to pay through the nose for it .

At that price i'll be sticking to the 747 ( 56k modem :( )

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

"...the announcement today delivers customers the very best service at what we believe is a competitive price..."
    ...spake Alfie in bizplus article.

Competitive with what you may ask?

[.....] that's right, no similar product.

Oh wait, it's "competitive" with the per-minute dial-up fees Eircom charges on modem calls..........the only other "competitor" in the consumer/SOHO access market.

Folks -

I just got off the phone with their sales dept. They say there is NO limit of data transfer.

So, it's a flat £77.97 a month charge.

Is it that bad ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭spanner_head

don't forgot you have to pay VAT on that too.

one question - is i-stream only available to eircon customers?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

£93.58 incl VAT plus line rental = over 100 a month. It's bad enough!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭spanner_head

ok maybe those prices are inclusive of VAT!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

yes it is that bad, and if you are willing to pay that price then you are undermining what Ireland Off-Line are trying to achieve.

All those people who are going to slink off and get it at this price, COP ON TO YOURSELVES !! We need to hold our ground and wait for a realistic price, not this bull that Eircom has come up with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

/me slinks off rather rapidly.

.logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭The Cigarette Smoking Man

The official ADSL prices are now on www.adsl.ie and there's no mention of a cap or whether the prices include VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

A monthly download allowance, included in the monthly recurring charge, applies to some of the products. Once this allowance has been reached, a per Megabyte additional charge will be levied. See individual product descriptions for details.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

DAMN YOU EIRCOM!!!!
    :mad: :( :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by Lemming
    80+Vat a month for a 3GB d/l limit?? This is BullSh*t !!!

Once again I ask Eircom - "Are you stoned or just stupid??"

At that price I would expect either NO limit or a much higher limit.

I know the price is steep, but Is there any PROOF that eircom will put a 3GB limit ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭NeilF

With eircom i-stream you pay a flat monthly fee*

*A monthly download allowance, included in the monthly recurring charge, applies to some of the products. Once this allowance has been reached, a per Megabyte additional charge will be levied. See individual product descriptions for details.

Think of the worst cap you can imagine and half it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭glimmerman

according to the guy on the other end of "that" phone number, the cap for SOLO is 1 gig....
    quote: "people don't seem to be happy about that" unquote.

See individual product descriptions for details.

I didn't spot any details?

I doubt they could have a 3GB limit on all four options, especially the 1MB multi user one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

will someone put up a link to this Eircon i-scream site so i can look at this muck for myself? i canno find it.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Scruff
    will someone put up a link to this Eircon i-scream site so i can look at this muck for myself? i canno find it.

www.adsl.ie

Advertisement