Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Early release DSL pricing....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Skimming through www.adsl.ie , I don't see any mention of a cap. The product that is most suited to myself is i-stream solo, spec'd as:

--

For a single user, on a single computer

The product has both a USB port or ethernet option
    Speeds are up to 512kbps downstream/128kbps upstream
    Connection fee is €125 (IR£98.45) - Monthly fee is €99 (IR£77.97).
    Additional equipment required: ADSL USB modem €145 (IR£114.20) or ADSL Ethernet modem €200 (IR£157.51)

--

As things stand THIS is actually a more economical option to me, as a relatively heavy Internet user, than the dialup solution I'm using at the moment - even taking into account that I use SNL some of the time.

... this, assuming that there are no connection/dial-up type costs... which I assume there aren't. Flate rate, right?

I'd go for it, myself- but that price HAS TO come down. Competition should do that, which is partly why Esat should get off THEIR AR$€S now and introduce their own product.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭spanner_head

Bard do a search for the following words on the that page and then you'll find it.

'A monthly download allowance........'

there is no mention of what the limit is. I was on hold for about 10mins so I hung up. I'll try again later....

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭infomat

I was waiting about 25 mins for a rep to answer.

(1) He said that no decision has yet been made regarding a cap. However, he did say that there was an internal rumour of 1G in the case of lower priced services.
    (2) It would be possible to provide static IP with the enhanced but he did not if this was included in the price.
    (3) On Thursday/Friday a phone number will be published so that you can phone to express interest.

One can only guess what the prices rejected by the Rugulator must have been like! possibly £179 for Solo?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Originally posted by glimmerman
    according to the guy on the other end of "that" phone number, the cap for SOLO is 1 gig....
    quote: "people don't seem to be happy about that" unquote.

Understatement of the year ;)

Maybe that should marked as Boards.ie's quote of the decade or something? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Dr99

Eircon, when you are finished stabing me in the back with that rusty bread knife maybe you would like to lay into my balls with your hob-nail boots. I don't mind, in fact over the years I've got kinda used to it!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

What are eircom playing at?? Anykind of cap would be ludicrous at that price price!!!!! :mad: Basicaly you'd be allowed download a cd 1/2 of information a month...It really goes to show the interest the goverment(ODTR) takes in this countries future as an "E-Hub" when they allow the price of high speed internet to be double no tripple that of our NEIGHBOURS!! and all of europe..... there is no excuse for this. Please Eicom do not be "Surprised" when there is not a huge takeup of ADSL for the home user. GOD this whole mess make's me sick:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Matfinn

Lo all

Just remember that these prices are unconfirmed, and therefore we shouldnt take them as 'the' price that Eircom are going to be charging for DSL. Id say in my own opinion that them prices are pretty close. Now as for what we are going to do if eircom do indeed charge this much for DSL, we should really think if an alternative. What about a non-ptofit based ISP that would cater for the need of the User? I know I've said this more than once even to the point you may be sick of it me saying this, but its the only alternative I can think of at the moment. We should disband all hopes of Eircom ever giving us a fair and decent service. They will not appease us because they dont give a ****. They will say 'oh there are 2000 or so unhappy users out there, well **** them we have 200000 more happy users'. You know what I mean. They will never negotiate a decent deal, because they realise that they dont have to, and they will get away with it. They need to be TOLD by the government what to do. They need to be forced in order to act. We should pressure the government more in order to get Eircom to act fairly and in a decent way, to consumers, and to its competitors.

Thank you for listening.
    Feel free to criticise this rant if you like. It may not be all there, but I have other things that are grabbing my attention as i write this < watch the news!! >.

Thanks and Good Luck

Matt

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Originally posted by Matfinn
    Lo all

Just remember that these prices are unconfirmed, and therefore we shouldnt take them as 'the' price that Eircom are going to be charging for DSL

Feel free to criticise this rant if you like.

Matt. The prices *are* confirmed. Please refer to http://www.adsl.ie

Lo all

Just remember that these prices are unconfirmed, and therefore we shouldnt take them as 'the' price that Eircom are going to be charging for DSL
    Matt

I don't fully understand ... the prices are quoted on Eircom's site so how can you say that they are not confirmed ... do you mean that the ODTR has not agreed or that we don't know if they include VAT?

Lo all

Just remember that these prices are unconfirmed, and therefore we shouldnt take them as 'the' price that Eircom are going to be charging for DSL. Id say in my own opinion that them prices are pretty close. Now as for what we are going to do if eircom do indeed charge this much for DSL, we should really think if an alternative. What about a non-ptofit based ISP that would cater for the need of the User? I know I've said this more than once even to the point you may be sick of it me saying this, but its the only alternative I can think of at the moment. We should disband all hopes of Eircom ever giving us a fair and decent service. They will not appease us because they dont give a ****. They will say 'oh there are 2000 or so unhappy users out there, well **** them we have 200000 more happy users'. You know what I mean. They will never negotiate a decent deal, because they realise that they dont have to, and they will get away with it. They need to be TOLD by the government what to do. They need to be forced in order to act. We should pressure the government more in order to get Eircom to act fairly and in a decent way, to consumers, and to its competitors.

Thank you for listening.
    Feel free to criticise this rant if you like. It may not be all there, but I have other things that are grabbing my attention as i write this < watch the news!! >.

Thanks and Good Luck

Matt

• Advertisement

I have other things that are grabbing my attention as i write this
    Matt

Obviously, Matt. No need to double post. :)

Lo all, before I said the prices were unconfirmed, now I know that they are confirmed.

I apologise for the mistake.

Now lets setup an ISP ourselves ;)

Gluck

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

I wish people would stop saying "For those prices there better be a damn big cap...!"

For God's sake wake up. £100 is too much for [residential] ADSL, capped or un-capped. End of story.

Btw, have these prices actually been APPROVED by the ODTR?

If so, I demand they kop themselves on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Pimp

Originally posted by PiE

Btw, have these prices actually been APPROVED by the ODTR?

If so, I demand they kop themselves on.

I think that she only approves wholesale prices.

I wonder how long wel'll have to wait for Esat's response...

Wouldn't it be just peachy if they took on board the requests here to under cut Eircom substantially? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Gladiator

Eircon dont want adsl esat do, esat dont get money from interconnection, esat dont get money from isdn, adsl are really their game plan. this is why i feel esat wont cap and why i feel neither will eircon as soon as esat launch, remember those 12 motnh contracts

btw lads, the retail price has no relation to the wholesale, the sholesale could be anything under 77 pounds, it could be as low as 30 pounds.

eircoms wholesale internations rates are about half what the charge other carriers. ntl charges 6p a minute on peak to the uk, eircon charge 12.5p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Originally posted by Gladiator
    eircoms wholesale internations rates are about half what the charge other carriers. ntl charges 6p a minute on peak to the uk, eircon charge 12.5p

As far as I know, this isn't quite the case -- NTL actually only has to pay for the part of a call which is local or national (depends on how they are set up), but actually carry the call to the UK themselves.

no thats not how its set up, in order to do that you would need to be on ntls network, and they would have to have lines into your local exchange

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭NORTH1

Spot the Difference.

http://www.eircom.ie/cgi-bin/bvsm/bveircom/bladerunner/showContentDropDownSubchannel.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0336304619.1000238077@@@@&BV_EngineID=fadcccdldighbedcfjgchgcghk.0&selectedChannel=Adsl+Services&fromChannel=In+Business&cid=Adsl

Whatever your monthly usage, there is an package to suit your needs.

Connection fee is 125 (IR£98.45) - Monthly fee is 99 (IR£77.97).
    Additional equipment required: ADSL USB modem 145 (IR£114.20) or
    ADSL Ethernet modem 200 (IR£157.51)

http://www.eircom.ie/cgi-bin/bvsm/bveircom/bladerunner/showContentDropDownSubchannel.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0336304619.1000238077@@@@&BV_EngineID=fadcccdldighbedcfjgchgcghk.0&selectedChannel=Adsl+Services&fromChannel=In+Business&cid=Adsl

There are a range of products. The recommended residential product is

Connection fee is 150 (IR£118.13) inc. VAT - Monthly fee is 118.80 (IR£93.56). inc. VAT
    Additional equipment required: ADSL USB modem 174 (IR£137.04) inc. VAT or ADSL Ethernet modem 240 (IR£189.02)

*A monthly download allowance, included in the monthly recurring charge, applies to some of the products. Once this allowance has been reached, a per Megabyte additional charge will be levied. See individual product descriptions for details.

Too different prices?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭smokin' an'chewin' man

Well. Now we know where we stand. We know what Eircom has been planning.

Eircom clearly are intentionally pricing themselves out of the domestic market and are effectively sticking two fingers up to the ODTR, IrelandOffLine and internet users across the country.

IrelandOffLine needs to release a strong statement in response and roll out a phase two action plan.

Originally posted by ekehoe
    Well, I guess I know what I'll be talking about tomorrow on the radio :-).

That is just wrong. I can't see how the ODTR approved those prices. I can see why Esat filed an injunction tho. There's no way that money is going to be made on this.

Just when you think that you're going somewhere, they throw up another wall. I guess it's time to bring out the big guns. <opinion>

E

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭NeilF

Too different prices?

Business prices are quoted without VAT. The residential prices are inclusive of VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

A few things seem uncertain here....
    We don't know if there's definately going to be a cap, and if there is, how much it will be.

There was a mention earlier of the wholesale price, and how this was also unknown.....
    I seriously doubt that eircom would be foolish enough to sell the wholesale service much cheaper then their client based service. This would simply hand most users over to Esat.

Although, it's quite apparanant that just don't care. "This is another milestone for Eircom in our aim to deliver the very best services in fixed line telephony in Ireland" - "There has been much speculation and anticipation for ADSL technology and we are confident that the announcement today delivers customers the very best service at what we believe is a competitive price. "
    Excuse the stars, but what a ****ing asshole. If they believe that to be competitive, who are they competing against? Ntl are cheaper.....

Does anyone know if any telco in EU has a higher price for ADSL?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

80 quid a month and a 3gb cap.. hmmm... seems to me like the boys at Eircom have been licking the magic toads again.

Honestly though, that package is the worst kind of robbery. now I wouldnt mind paying 70 a month for an uncapped line mind you. 80 is just excessive for a home user and then to throw a cap onto that is just adding insult to injury.

If this is the residential offering (?) I cannot wait to see what they cook up for business users.

So much for the £50-70 a month quoted to me by a sales rep.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Originally posted by rymus
    Honestly though, that package is the worst kind of robbery. now I wouldnt mind paying 70 a month for an uncapped line mind you.

Jesus Christ, YOU SHOULD!

Anything over £40 is just taking the p!ss if you ask me.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

This may seem like the stupidist question ever but why are eircom capping when the rest of europe are not?? Surely they use the same pipes to connest to US servers that we do, People in europe download all sorts off things warz,mp3, view flash happy websites just like Irishpeople(Try to do).. This country is going to turn belly up as regards to internet usage if Eircon aren't responible about pricing.
    It seems to me the ODTR have about as much bite as a three legged, balding, no teeth jack russel when confronting eircon about there pricing.
    It's all very well offering expensive ADSL to companies in ireland so they can provise nice flashy websites etc.. But what about the irish people that have to access them but can't because of crappy access?? I think Irelandoffline is doing a good job but maybe a few pickets outside the Dail would help things along and highlight thr problems with internet access in this country. it's worked in the past so why not for this.

Originally posted by kamobe
    A few things seem uncertain here....
    We don't know if there's definately going to be a cap, and if there is, how much it will be.

There was a mention earlier of the wholesale price, and how this was also unknown.....
    I seriously doubt that eircom would be foolish enough to sell the wholesale service much cheaper then their client based service. This would simply hand most users over to Esat.

According the the Irish Times the ODTR has not approved the wholesale price which is Euro 75.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

75 quid? The cynic in me thinks Eircom know that if they set the wholesale price high, they'll still make more money than anyone who avails of the wholesale price due to them owning eircom.net. Or is that the realist in me?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by sceptre
    75 quid? The cynic in me thinks Eircom know that if they set the wholesale price high, they'll still make more money than anyone who avails of the wholesale price due to them owning eircom.net. Or is that the realist in me?

75 Euros not £75

Advertisement