Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Firefly / Serenity ? the Big Movie who watched it ?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

loved it.....funny and moving and awesome

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Boxofficemojo are placing it at #9 in only its 2nd week out, suffering a massive 51% drop-off. I assume its because all the fans saw it the first week and it's not getting enough repeat business or convincing word-of-mouth. Its very poor total haul so far isn't a good sign for a sequel. Maybe it'll do better in the overseas market but only $1m overseas totall accounted for so far - not good either... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

dvd sales can still save it though? Might not get a sequel, but could encourage a new series?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Saw it today in Dundrum. Excellent film and would recommend it to anyone. However, the cinema in Dundrum is awful.
    The computer system was down when we arrived so they had trouble with our prebooking (in fairness to the staff they were very helpful with this)
    3 out of the 4 drinks machines i tried weren't working.
    The cinema that Serenity was on was tiny.
    The sound wasn't right at all. The vocals were coming from the front and from the side causing it to sound like sentences were being repeated a micro second after you have heard them. The music and sound effects just didnt sound right. Will have to check the dvd out for what it should be like.
    There was a big green exit sign directly beside the screen causing a big green glow on good portion of the screen.
    The projectionist kept turning on the light in his room!

I still enjoyed the film a lot but won't be heading back to Dundrum in a hurry anyhow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Daelus

Just brought another friend to see 'Serenity' - a guy who goes out of his way to bash sci-fi - and he loved it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

basquille wrote:
    Jayne / Mal's wisecracks were still on top form, some fantastic fight scenes between Mal / The Operative and River / everyone else (:D), how Zoe / Mal (Zoe especially) showed absolutely no emotion / sign of weakness at Wash's death in Mr. Universe's compound, the

Two points I was so emotionally invested at the
    jesus wept! is serenity going to survive this, the death of Wash, knocked me for six. I was just concerned about the 10th character, and how beat up it was, that when Wash died, I was just open jawed.

The second is they do deal with Wash's death, Kael's "hey where's Wash, and Zoe's grim faced determination, loading her shotgun, and later going nuts. She's a military chick, she's seen whole platoons of friends get slaughtered she dealt with it as she knew how. And that scene at the end between herself and Mal, talking about how the "ship" was holding up was classic Zoe, Mal and classic Weddon.
    Two small comments:
    did Reaver's remind anyone else of Orcs from LOTR? Also, didn't Mal do that ".. i want a pony etc." line (or something to that effect) when Innara was praying at some point in the series?

No sorry. He didn't.
    The one major problem i had about the film:
    Simon and Kaylee hooking up - it just seemed like the only reason they got together in the film was it was something Whedon probably regretted not doing in the lifespan of the show. It just felt too planned for the film.. didn't like it!

Well not really the will they won't they was a major issue in the story of the series, a lesser writer would have ditched those scenes, but to give two unrelated characters such intense dialogue really liven things up and made it stand out from the crowd, plus we'd have never have got the line
    i've had naught twix my nethers, thats not been powered by batteries, for nigh on a year!

I enjoyed it immensely my girlfriend caught a preview a month ago. And has been biting her lip. Again I'd have prefered a series. I'd have prefered another tv series, overall. But in the words of tycho from penny arcade, "any firefly is better than no firefly"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

Sarky wrote:
    I won't believe anyone who said they weren't surprised to learn the origin of the Reavers. And OMG, poor Wash...I nearly cried. :(
    I don't cry, but goddamn, I loved Wash, he was my fav charactor, and I just had to shed a tear.

On the topic of the Reavers when we saw the HUGE gap around Miranda and being told it's full of Reavers, I kind of guessed that the Reavers had come from that planet and had something to do with the alliance, but didn't grasp it all

oh and this is my fav movie this year for definatly. Was well worth watching the whole of the series again and then off to the movie afterwards. Now I just need to do it all again :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

In the comics you get to see her leave.

I thought we only see Mal imagining her leave. Or maybe he is meant to be remembering her leave.

Have to read these again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

Earthhorse wrote:
    I thought we only see Mal imagining her leave. Or maybe he is meant to be remembering her leave.

Have to read these again.
    The way I interpreted it was that we see her actually leaving and then jump in to the future seeing Mal saying what he really should have but didn't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭TetsuoHashimoto

is it easy to get your hands on the original Tv show ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Yep, very easy. Any DVD store should have it in stock now that the movie is out. Other than that. Play or amazon always have it in stock

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

ok, went to see this last night and for the most part it was enjoyable but what in the name of all things sane is the story with people laughing uncontrollably at some wise cracks. Ok, I know Firefly has a big following and there is probably a lot of people going who will 'get' the wisecracks more than others but there were people last night nearly in tears from some very average dialog. e.g.
    When Mal says to River that she might as well shoot him and then she cocks the hammer on the gun and then he says that maybe they should talk first.
    It was a bit funny alright and I smiled at it but these 3 lads in front of us nearly had seizures from laughing so much. It got REALLY fcuking annoying after the 10th time they did it. Were they just a bunch of idiots trying to portray to everyone else in the cinema that they 'got' the movie more than everyone else? Anyway, I'd give it 7 out of 10. Watchable, funny in bits (although ruined by the laughing freaks), some good characters and a decent storyline, but in now way is this film amazing or out of this world or excellent or even the best film of the year. Only my opinion of course and I'm sure fans of the series would love it even more as they would know the characters better.

LFCFan wrote:
    It was a bit funny alright and I smiled at it but these 3 lads in front of us nearly had seizures from laughing so much. It got REALLY fcuking annoying after the 10th time they did it. Were they just a bunch of idiots trying to portray to everyone else in the cinema that they 'got' the movie more than everyone else?

Maybe they just thought it was funny? :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Daelus wrote:
    Maybe they just thought it was funny? :rolleyes:
    finding something funny and going way over the top with your laughter are 2 completely different things. We weren't the only ones pissed off with them. They were also talking the whole time, commenting on bits of the movie etc and then going into fits of laughter again over something not very funny. They were either retarded or just trying their best to be annoying!

LFCFan wrote:
    finding something funny and going way over the top with your laughter are 2 completely different things. We weren't the only ones pissed off with them. They were also talking the whole time, commenting on bits of the movie etc and then going into fits of laughter again over something not very funny. They were either retarded or just trying their best to be annoying!

Ah right, well that's very inconsiderate of them. You do get people like that sometimes. When I went to see it, there were a few kids sitting beside us who wouldn't stop talking. Why they were in a 15s film is beyond me.. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Have to say I didn't really enjoy this film as much as the TV show. It was badly written from start to end and felt more like a seasons-worth of episode ideas compressed down into 2hours rather than one coherent film.

The acting was worse than usual and only Chiwetel Ejiofor came out of it with any credit. From an acting pov it seemed to be typical StarTrek movie system with the Firefly ensemble cast just going thru the motions and the guest Ejiofor being the only thing to hold it all together.

The CGI was crap too. I have to laugh at people here praising Whedon for bringing this film in at $40m and slating GL for spending hundreds of millions on the SW prequels. Well if Serenity did even did cost $40m then it certainly looked it considering the stuff in this film was of a quality that was probably cutting edge around 1998. Seriously there was CGI in here that wouldn't have passed inspection for ThePhantomMenace 6 1/2 years ago.

Still all that said Serenity is undeniably a fun action movie and on the plus side it did have an enjoyable sense of humour from start to finish which had me chuckling throughout. However I doubt I'd be bothered watching it again tho. Imho about three-quarters of the FF eps are better than this film and all I can leave you with is if this film is your introduction to the FF universe and like me you weren't that impressed then you should still give the TV show a chance irregardless.

6.5 / 10

Advertisement