Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Networks and phones..

Options
  • 05-10-2005 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Is there anyone out there that might have the patience to help me out. I have just got permission to build me a house. I would like to have points in all rooms for T.V, phone and the NET.
    I have no idea where to start and what is required for this project i.e fittings, cabling, connectors, sockets etc. Can't find an idiots guide to the above ...
    Would like to be able to maybe work along side the spark and have a bit of input...
    What would my shopping list consist of ??
    Might there be a site out there that gives steps or even better pictures to follow !!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Salem wrote:
    Might there be a site out there that gives steps or even better pictures to follow !!
    Yes there are. Google IS your friend ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

Find some techie friend to give you a helping hand. If I had a chance like that I'd jump on it.

Alas most of the cabling in my parents house is ~30 years old. Some messy jobs done to get cable to the different rooms.

You can ignore the connectors and stuff like that, aslong as you can run the cable before the walls go up you'll be laughing.

You can choose either CAT5e (Has to be 'E' to be worth your while imo) or CAT6 (If you want the best and have a nice budget) and standard COAX for cable, and high quality telephone cable! Crappy cable inside can cause you to fail your line test!

Make up your mind now, where do you want all these cables to end up? I'd choose somewhere out of the way and with some room to spare, like under the stairs or in the utility room. Then for the geek chic you can have a rack go in there with some patch panels to plug into your networking gear etc.

Make sure the cables don't have huge/tight bends, not running beside electrical cables that kind of stuff.

I'm no professional but I've seen some cabling jobs done and I might have to organise one for a friends dads new office :eek: So that would be my basic advice on recabling your house.

Again google would be a good place to start and talk to the leccy see if he knows anything. Or hire a professional (not cheap)

But if you do it yourself be aware you mightn't get the same speed out of it, if done by professional or someone who is very handy with crimpers.

Poor crimping etc can all affect it. I stupidly ran some cable beside one of those halogen lights and it can occasionally make my pc think its disconnected for a second or two.... and my crimping skills didn't help either.

That will be €150 please. :D

Advertisement