Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Big Matches

• 05-10-2005 1:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭

Right so as the title states, we've two win or bust matches on the horizon.
    I personally think we will beat the Cypriots, and I'd take a 1-0 nail biter, as for the Swiss, I think we are at the same level, and I don't know if we will beat them...
    If we do though, all this talk of the next Ireland manager will be put to bed for a while. If we don't well, I think it will rear its ugly head and Kerr could have to say bye bye to his time as Ireland manager.
    In all fairness I think he should be given the same time in the job as McCarthy had to set the record straight.

Now back to the games, I think if we do get to the playoffs it will have been some trun around after the cock ups that were the Israel games.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I think Irleand will beta Cyprus and lose to the Swiss :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

What TV stations both these games on? do RTE have rights again?

2 wins and off to WC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

ye both are on RTE
    dont know what time the Swiss game is on at but the Cyprus game is on saturday at 5.30pm.
    I don't think we'll lose to Switzerland, just not too convinced we'll beat them.
    But heres hoping im wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Yea RTE has the competitive games afaik, as for 2 wins and off to the WC, there would be just the small matter of the play-offs first :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I'm gonna be extremely pessimistic and say that we don't have a hope in helll of winning either match. The reason being that any time I'm optimistic, which is alll the time, we always mess up! :rolleyes:

B.

• Advertisement

Heres how things stand incase people were wondering: http://members.boards.ie/tetsujin1979/Group4Permutations.html

irish1 wrote:
    Yea RTE has the competitive games afaik

RTE have the rights to all our competitive games and Sky have the rights to all our friendlies and TV3 following behind with delayed coverage of the friendlies.

B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

irish1 wrote:
    Yea RTE has the competitive games afaik, as for 2 wins and off to the WC, there would be just the small matter of the play-offs first :D

Be postive man!! this country is already too negative!! mind you I am in college next Wedn nite!! will have to record....close my ears and turn radio off so when I get home sit down to watch,......had to do that with Iran game!!! :D

Well I am trying to be positive, but its damn hard especially without Keane, the thoughts of Holland and Kilbane in the center make me sick. Personally I'd like to see this team:
                            Given
    Carr        Cunningham   Dunne        O'Shea

Finnan      Kavanagh    S Reid         Duff

Keane     Connolly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Right so all we need is France to draw with Cyprus, draw with Switzerland and us to win both our games.... automatic qualification. That would be delicious....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

Ireland have cocked up so many times in this campaign.Should have beaten france in paris, israel twice and the swiss also equalised against us.Its always a case of nearly never won the race with ireland and i think we are due a bit of luck so i am gonna be optimistic about qualifying for the WC, i think we'll comfortably beat cyprus on saturday and then narrowly do the Swiss at lansdowne rd.
    Then there comes the playoffs, hopefully somebody crap, Iran was a gift the last time, lets hope for someone similar cos there are a few decent sides in contention for play off positions. Is it an open draw for the playoffs or what?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Im not so sure about the next two games tbh and I feel that the Cyprus game will be very difficult. Granted Cyprus are a poor side who have so far only picked up 4 points in the group but Ireland are missing three players and we are notoriously bad against the smaller countries away from home. In saying this though I feel that we will beat the Cypriots as long as Kerr enters the game with a positive approach. Its well known by now I think Kerr is tactically inept and not up to the job. he is far too defensive minded in everything he does and plays the wrong tactics at the wrong times. I feel we will score first in the game but I hope Kerr keeps driving the team forward and not sit back like usually happens. This just invites trouble. If we continuosly push on we will win the game.

This will set it up nicely for the Switzerland game. I feel both teams are of roughly the same standard and its a tough one to call. The Swiss my enter this game only needing to draw and this could be an advantage for Ireland as the Swiss would sit back and allow us to push on. I can see us scoring with teh Landsdowne road crowd behind us but again the question is what will Kerr do when that happens. I think we will end up drawing the game and not going through but I hope im wrong.

If we dont win both games Kerr has to go simple as that. He is way out of his depth as it is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

We'll beat Cyprus and draw with the Swiss. I don't think Kerr has the tactical knowledge to beat them - we couldn't even beat Russia at home after all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,762 ✭✭✭Xterminator

I'd like to see Stephen Reid given his chance in the middle of the pitch alright!

I think he's earned it, throgh his form too!

In fact its a pity he hasnt had more experience, at international level (partly due to his past injury problems) as he may be the future engine of irelands midfield if keano retires as expected at the end of the cuuent WC campaign, Holland is out of sorts, and Kavanagh is no spring chicken, (looking ahead to euro qualifiers etc).

X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Setanta are showing our game with Cyprus followed by Swiss-France both live.

Its not impossible that we could win the group. If the Swiss beat France, we have to beat Switzerland by more goals than they beat France and we win the group (as long as we beat Cyprus). Although, France haven't lost a competitive away match in 13 years.

I think it'll be 2 close games. The Cyprus match will be like a home match as we'll outnumber the opposition fans by 2 or 3 to 1 so thats a help.

While Hakan Yakin has been poor for the past few years, he has scored against us every time he plays us (and bloody Celtic) so its good news he's injured. Can't wait. Gary Breen is injured though... :(

Irish1, I like the cut of that team.
    But maybe Elliot over Connolly.
    Can't see Kerr picking Reid over Kilbane as much as I would like to see him inthere as he has been playing brilliantly for Blackburn this season..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

It's understandable when people are being pessamistic, the team hasn't always been inspiring throughout this campaign. But I really think we'll get the result in Cyprus, and that will set it all up for the grand finale in Dublin. I think we'd beat the Swiss if we had it all to play for.
    I think on current form Steven Reid deserves to get his place in the centre, as he's usually deployed out of position when he plays for Ireland. He's been bang on-form for Blackburn, and I'm sure his confidence is high given their recent form.
    Up front I'd like to see Elliott partner Keane. His work-rate in the Faroe Islands was first class, the guy would run a million miles for his team.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I agree that I would like to see Elliott get the nod up front ahead of Connolly. If things arent working out up front then we can always change it around. As for Stephen Reid I agree he has been playing well bt he hasnt been very good when he has played for us. Dont get me wrong he hasnt been bad but nothing special either. That said Kilbane was absolutely awful in French game and he has been poor with Everton so maybe Reid would offer something different against the Cypriots. I dont think Kerr will drop Kilbane though he seems to be a very loyal manager and sticks his faith around the same core set of players

Roddy23 wrote:
    Irish1, I like the cut of that team.
    But maybe Elliot over Connolly.
    Can't see Kerr picking Reid over Kilbane as much as I would like to see him inthere as he has been playing brilliantly for Blackburn this season..

Yea I was in two minds whether to go with Elliot or Connolly, but I went with Connolly on the basis of experience and also morale. Connolly has played on the big stage and after recently been signed by a premiership club he will be on a high as where Elliot hasn't really played that much on the big stage and his club have had a tough start to the premiership.

Just my thinking on it I'm sure a lot disagree. As for Reid I think he's a lot better than Kilbane or Holland, Kilbane was overacheiving for a while but he's simply not up to the role of center midfield.

I kinda expect Kerr to put Kilbane or Reid on the left and Duffer up front but I hope not as I don't think Duffer has half as much impact when played up top.

Just my 2 cents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Sadly for us and Duff if hes on the wing as soon as he gets the ball 2 men on him straight away. play him up front and he doesnt have enough of an impact.
    Steven Reid was/is a natural winger Hughes plays him CM and it worked same as it worked for Kerr and Moyes for a bit with Kilbane.

We need 3 goals in 2 games 1 vs Cyprus 2 vs Swiss then its

2 Czech Republic
    3 Romania

2 Turkey
    3 Greece

2 Slovakia
    3 Russia

2 Norway
    3 Slovenia
    4 Scotland <<<< PLEASE GOD!!!!!!!!!!!

2 England <<<<<< 2nd Choice

2 Spain <<< REVENGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    3 Bosnia-Herzegovina
    4 Belgium

2 Croatia

And to the PL fans...there are no easy games there. We are no better than any of them.

kdjac

• Advertisement

ah crap, so theres no chance of another bantamweight decider with Iran

Connolly v Elliott. I'd go with Elliott no question. Connolly has been as good as any other Irish striker when not partnering Keane but when he partners Keane he has been woeful. He's also not getting his game for Wigan while Elliott got man of the match for Sunderland on Saturday.

On the playoffs, honestly not joking but I'd take England out of all them for the best chance of qualifying (after Slovakia actually). Just don't rate their current team with Sven in charge. My view may have changed by next Wednesday though.

eirebhoy wrote:
    On the playoffs, honestly not joking but I'd take England out of all them for the best chance of qualifying (after Slovakia actually). Just don't rate their current team with Sven in charge. My view may have changed by next Wednesday though.

I would agree with this. They are an absolute shambles under Sven who seems to pick players because of their names and not on Merit. I would quite fancy our chances against England but if we do make the play-offs no matter who we get its going to be very tough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

Connolly is $hite, please god not Connolly PLEASE GOD NO!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭meepmeep

KdjaC wrote:

4 Scotland <<<< PLEASE GOD!!!!!!!!!!!

kdjac

HEY! :o

I know we're not great but we're on the way up......a draw with Italy at home, and a win away to Norway. Better results than we would have been having the last time we played ye, when ye won 2-0. If we made the play offs then yeah, we would probably be one of the teams everybody wanted, but we're not that easy to beat at the moment.

Would love to see Ireland-England though.

come on Scotland!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

So, two games that we have to win against CY and CH, and no doubt about whats needed. The CY game has to be a 4-4-2 formation, and Duff must play out on the wing where he can torment and create openings. Even if he is doubly marked he should br able to release the ball and hence open up things for the other players.

The Irish team doesnt pick itself though and there are a number of positions up for grabs due to suspensions. Kerr might go for something like this:

Given
    Finnan Cunningham Dunne/O'Brien O'Shea

Kilbane Kavanagh S Reid Duff

Keane Connolly/Elliot

Given is a given, of course.

I think Kerr should give the nod to Finnan for RB, although certainly Carr can do a decent job in the same position. O'Brien has played well for Ireland in the past as CB, and both Dunne and O'Brien can do a reasonable job.

Cunningham is a mandatory selection

O'Shea, Mr Utility, can do a job at LB and is handy to have if things need to be changed around. He can play CB, not perfect though, and CM or anywhere in midfield.

Brian has to go with Kavanagh in midfield to replace Roy, but who alongside? Kilbane did well last year for Everton and has done a job for Ireland but I'm not comfortable with him there, and this year at Everton the fans are baying for his blood. S Reid, who started also as a right winger in his career is doing quite well for Blackburn in the centre, and did ok against Italy, so I would go with him for the 2nd CM berth. Keep Holland as a sub option.

With a lack of potential other contenders for RM, I would stick Kilbane out on the right. He is useful to have as an aerial threat in the box, especially with a 4-4-2 formation and Duffer on the left supplying balls into the box.

Duff, no question where he is best

Robbie Keane, our no.1 striker ... again no question.

Wth Morrison out, now is the time for another player to pick up the gauntlet for up front. Elliot has shown in recent outings that he is a tryer, but still very light, and looking at his displays in the league in England he is being easily marshalled out by any decent defending. Connollly who we know in the past has been woeful for Ireland. However, I have to say this. Did any of u see the goal he scored for Wigan and which is a contender for goal of the month on BBC MOTD? It was a very good goal, brilliantly executed, and hard to believe it was Connolly. He showed pace, skill and a great finish. So, is this the same Connolly of a few years ago, a disaster waiting to happen for Ireland? or is this a more mature and different Connolly, who can produce performances and get goals? If the latter, then he is worth a try. Perhaps Kerr will use both, but who will start, probably Elliot.

So, its all to play for. Forget the media hoo-ha about Kerr etc. Lets get on with the job as a nation, these are two games we must win. CY, like all the minnows these days, are no pushover. We should be able to huff and puff and create chances. Whether we can blow their house down we will have to wait and see .... the media wolves are waiting in the wings for any signs of weakness.

redspider

redspider wrote:
    Kilbane Kavanagh S Reid Duff

Why would you Kilbane on the right wing when he's a left sided midfielder/winger?

Would Stephen Reid not be a better option?

B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

Dear god is there anyone who can replace Kilbane in midfield,>> Holland?

I cant recall any game where he nearly scored, got a shot on target, made a cross into the box that was aimed at one of our players, or skinned anyone and split the defence and got thru on goal.?????

And he seems to do is run about like a mad man looks great effort wise but achieves nothing?

imo kilbane doesnt have skill/touch/ball control to be playing 4 ireland.

am I expecting/asking for too much? or should the FAI be out trawling the premiership for promising 18yr old central midfielders with Irish Grannies?
    _

C'MON IRELAND!!!!

redspider wrote:

With a lack of potential other contenders for RM, I would stick Kilbane out on the right. He is useful to have as an aerial threat in the box, especially with a 4-4-2 formation and Duffer on the left supplying balls into the box.

I'd agree with most of what you said seen as your team is pretty much the same as the one I picked, but I'd have to disagree with Kilbane on the right. Steven Carr is one of the best attacking RB in the PL and Steve Finann has proved he is very capable on the right of Midefield for the pool, imo Finnan and Carr should play on the right.

• Advertisement

imo kilbane doesnt have skill/touch/ball control to be playing 4 ireland.

And do ye know what the mad thing is, if he plays over the enxt few days, he will have broken the record for most consecutive games played for Ireland, 35.
    In fairness to him he's a workhorse, but as said before I cant for the life of me understand how he is a Premiership player, as the chap has only one trick.

This is the team I think Kerr should pick

Given
    Carr---Cunningham---Dunne---Harte
    Finnan---Kavanagh--O' Shea---Duff
    Keane---Elliott

Lets be honest the Cypriots will not offer a great deal in attack so I think Harte will do a job at left back and will also offer us a good attacking option with his set pieces. O' Shea looks good in midfield and he is better in the tackle and has better ball control etc than Kilbane so he should get the nod in midfield. Kavanagh has to play and he will be the ball winner in the centre. Carr should start right back to allow Finnan, a natural right sided player, to play on the wing. He has done well there before and is an attacking full back so he will do a good job for us there. I pick Elliott over Connolly as it has been proven that Keane and Connolly cant pay together because they are both far too small. Elliott, although not scoring, has done well recently and he is full of enthusiasm where im not so sure about Connollys commitment to the team.

I think this is the best team we can play and the one that will get us the win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

- Why would you Kilbane on the right wing when he's a left sided midfielder/winger? Would Stephen Reid not be a better option?

- Dear god is there anyone who can replace Kilbane in midfield,>> Holland?

- ... but I'd have to disagree with Kilbane on the right. Steven Carr is one of the best attacking RB in the PL and Steve Finann has proved he is very capable on the right of Midefield for the pool

We have a weakness in midfield. I placed Kilbane out on the right as I think maybe Kerr will play him there. Kerr likes Kilbane. I personally think he is well past his best before date. He cant produce as a winger on the left side. He did play better in CM in recent years, but I think S Reid is better than him at the moment, as is Kavanagh, as is Roy Keane, as is Holland.

S Reid is not fantastic on the right. Thats his old position. I'd prefer him in the centre of the park. Maybe Holland would be better out on the right, not playing as a winger but more as a general midfielder.

Finnan is not a right midfielder. Finnan and Carr play in the same position, an age-old problem for Ireland where we have two good players that vie for selection. Playing them in a different position is not the best approach, in my opinion. Finnan could play RM, but that is not his best position and he doesnt like playing there so why compromise him.

Who knows, maybe Kerr is thinking of playing John O'Shea at RM, he could do a job there I'm sure as good as anyone mentioned so far, with Ian Harte at LB.

If Kilbane is RM, then when Duffer switched to Right wing, Kilbane can easily fit in on LM.

Like all of you I'd much prefer to be in a position where the team picks itself. I'm sure Brian Kerr would as well. As whatever he selects, someone will say, what about him, he's ****e, etc. But we just have too many players that are of the same standard, and when a few reasonable players go missing (as in A Reid, Roy K and Morrison) we dont have any depth in the squad to pick from.

redspider

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭robz150

The team I would pick:

Given
    Finnan---Cunningham---O'Brien---O' Shea
    ---Duff---Reid -Kavanagh--Kilbane

Keane---Elliott

The Team I think Kerr will pick

Given
    Carr---Cunningham---Dunne---O' Shea
    Finnan---Kavanagh--Kilbane---Duff
    Keane---Elliott

rte
    Republic of Ireland manager Brian Kerr has hinted that Graham Kavanagh is likely to start tomorrow's World Cup qualifier again Cyprus in Nicosia.

He also admitted that Stephen Elliot may start up-front alongside Irish record goalscorer Robbie Keane.

Kavanagh has already won 11 international caps and helped Wigan Athletic to gain promotion to the Premiership last season.

Stephen Carr, Stephen Reid and Damien Duff are all carrying slight knocks but should be fit for selection.

The team will train in the match stadium in Nicosia tonight.
    Good news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Just curious as to what the best result for us tommorow in swi v Fra actually is?

If we take it as granted that France will beat Cyprus ... and we win both our games (cos we have to!) then we're only left with 3 scenarios based on the outcome of Swi v Fra.

Final standings :
    a) Fra 22; Ire 19; Isr 18; Swi 16; <- Swi v Fra = A

b) Fra 20; Ire 19; Isr 18; Swi 17; <- Swi v Fra = D

c) Ire 19; Fra 19; Swi 19; Isr 18; <- Swi v Fra = H

The only way I see Scenario c) working in our favour is if France only lose by 1 to the Swiss and we beat the Swiss by 2. Is that correct? I'm not sure. I'm working on the assumption that the 3teams on 19pts make up a mini-table based on our 6 games against each other to decide 1st, 2nd and 3rd. Ah this is confusing me! :confused:

So should we be hedging our bets on a 2nd place finsh and hope France win tommorow or should we hope Swi win and that our chance of 1st is still alive ... but at the same time our chance of finished 3rd will increase.

I guess it all depends on whether you think we can beat the Swiss by more than one or whether we can win a play-off over 2legs. I personally think our chances aren't great in either scenario. :(

• Advertisement

Kingp35 wrote:

Given
    Finnan---Kavanagh--O' Shea---Duff
    Keane---Elliott

I'd say that's about the closest to what team will line out. Apart from the fact that he will alomost definitely play Kilbane instead of O'Shea in the centre and then it's a toss up between O'Shea and Harte at left back.
    I agree with you about Harte getting the nod ahead of O'Shea because of his free kick taking abilities.

B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Whatever the pros and cons of our games v. Israel, that's all in the past for now, and really, everyone, including inept self-glorifying soccer writers should be 100% behind the team for the next week. At the start, we would have looked at second place as a target - its still there, as is the reality that we could top the group. I see wins on Saturday for Israel, Switzerland and ourselves, with us winning 2-1, as Cyprus have scored at home both against Israel and Switzerland, before losing to both. The reason I fancy the Swiss is the partisan home crown allied to no Henry, Trezeguet, Sagnol (who tied up Duff), and apparently now Zidane too. And we have problems !! If the Swiss win 1-0, then a 2-0 win for us will do for topping the group. They should be coming here looking for the draw which will suit us, its a terrible way to enter a game, and we will just have to go for it. I too am a fan, as others here are, of Steven Reid. he kicked the Italians up and down the pitch (in a good way mind) in the friendly, and I prefer him to the 'chunkier' Reid anyday. Well, its been a rollercoaster so far. Don't get off yet !!

Pigman II wrote:
    Just curious as to what the best result for us tommorow in swi v Fra actually is?

If we take it as granted that France will beat Cyprus ... and we win both our games (cos we have to!) then we're only left with 3 scenarios based on the outcome of Swi v Fra.

Final standings :
    a) Fra 22; Ire 19; Isr 18; Swi 16; <- Swi v Fra = A

b) Fra 20; Ire 19; Isr 18; Swi 17; <- Swi v Fra = D

c) Ire 19; Fra 19; Swi 19; Isr 18; <- Swi v Fra = H

The only way I see Scenario c) working in our favour is if France only lose by 1 to the Swiss and we beat the Swiss by 2. Is that correct? I'm not sure. I'm working on the assumption that the 3teams on 19pts make up a mini-table based on our 6 games against each other to decide 1st, 2nd and 3rd. Ah this is confusing me! :confused:
    Spot on. If the Swiss beat France we have to beat the Swiss by more goals than they beat France to win the group. If the Swiss fail to beat France we get 2nd with 2 wins. I'll be hoping for a France win tomorrow though, don't fancy our chances of winning by 2 goals on Wednesday. France also haven't lost a competitive away match in 13 years.

The U21s drew 1-1 with Cyprus, Willo Flood with the goal. Bloody Don Givens playing 2 attacking players in central midfield. Only Sven's allowed to do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

Given
    S Ried---Kavanagh--Kilbane---Duff
    Keane---Elliott

I think thats the way it will pan out for us. S Reid might not be performing at his best on the Right wing but He is a much more natural right sided midfielder then Finnan.

We could always jig that team if it wasn't working without having to make a substitution.

Duff---Kavanagh--S Ried---Kilbane

Elliott up front it has to be. The Cypriot defence are a joke, and Elliott will be in and about them enough to get us some free kicks which hopefully Harte can put away.

We could also go with Andy Reid on the right.

Hopefully Doyle will make the bench ahead of the donkey Doherty.
    i know its a lot of pressure to put on the lad, but ANYTHING is better then Doherty.

We just need to win the two games the hell with the permutations, we can deal with the playoffs/Automatic qualification If and when they come about.

please please please win!!!!

• Advertisement

evilhomer wrote:
    We could also go with Andy Reid on the right.
    Suspended. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

I can't believe I forgot that. doh!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

what we need is a draw between france and swiss, otherwise we are under pressure. the swiss winning would be a bad result, pure and simple. assuming france beat cyprus in the last game then and we manage to win our 2 games, oursleves/france and swiss would be on the same points and our goal difference aint the best. we would need to beat the swiss by 2 or 3 clear goals im thinking. it all depends on sat though, a draw in the france game and a 3-0 win for us, would set things up nicely for wed night...the lads are under some pressure to get the 3 points on saturday though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

irish1 wrote:

I kinda expect Kerr to put Kilbane or Reid on the left and Duffer up front but I hope not as I don't think Duffer has half as much impact when played up top.

Just my 2 cents

im with you on this one, i hate when duff is put up front, worrying though i read in a paper today(sorry cant remember which one - im a student and read so many) that he admitted having changed as a player, where he used to just put his head down and run with the ball ( the duff we all grew to love i think) to now taking more time to think about what to do and maybe give the "simple pass" i think he said, blame chelsea for this.....

it is just my opinion that duff is a player with huge natural talent (obvious) but i think the better players are those that dont think, and just do what comes naturally( i.e. the old duff - particularily when he was at blackburn).

dont know what others think or even if that made sense, but sure let me know :D

what we need is a draw between france and swiss, otherwise we are under pressure. the swiss winning would be a bad result, pure and simple. assuming france beat cyprus in the last game then and we manage to win our 2 games, oursleves/france and swiss would be on the same points and our goal difference aint the best. we would need to beat the swiss by 2 or 3 clear goals im thinking. it all depends on sat though, a draw in the france game and a 3-0 win for us, would set things up nicely for wed night...the lads are under some pressure to get the 3 points on saturday though.
    Its all explained above.

What time/station is france swiss match? Setanta?

kdjac

im with you on this one, i hate when duff is put up front, worrying though i read in a paper today(sorry cant remember which one - im a student and read so many) that he admitted having changed as a player, where he used to just put his head down and run with the ball ( the duff we all grew to love i think) to now taking more time to think about what to do and maybe give the "simple pass" i think he said, blame chelsea for this.....

it is just my opinion that duff is a player with huge natural talent (obvious) but i think the better players are those that dont think, and just do what comes naturally( i.e. the old duff - particularily when he was at blackburn).

dont know what others think or even if that made sense, but sure let me know :D

Hard to be a great attacking player when other teams have 2 professionals on you every time you get the ball. ONly way to stop that in his position is come deep to collect the ball or keep switching wings. Coming deep nullifies your threat and switching wings works when the other winger is comfortable on the left. Or your left back keeps making you space with runs ahead of you.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭spinalsly

what would be the ideal score for us between france and swiss? a draw? :s

spinalsly wrote:
    what would be the ideal score for us between france and swiss? a draw? :s

Swiss to win 1 -0 and we beat them 2-0 and yay we top the group :D

kdjac

I can see the Swiss getting a draw at best tonight, even though the french are missing a few players, still can't see them getting beaten.
    As regards Us, I can only see an irish win tonight, Kavanagh hopefully will have a good game...

As regards our team, anybody any idea's when he is going to name it?

• Advertisement
Advertisement