Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Viewing Boards with Opera

Options
  • 05-10-2005 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I use the Opera browser (fastest on Earth allegedly...) and have noticed a bit of a funny with the Boards site.

If I right-click and open another tab for a Forum, when I select the Sports menu up the top, the dropdown appears but the "Boards Paintball" Ad banner floats over it.....

Little bit of an annoyance, not too up on the auld web-programming so not sure what would be causing it, it's weird in that if I open a new page in Opera and type in Boards.ie it's fine - it's only when I right-click and "Open in new page".....
    Cheers,
    Neal

Edit:
    Just noticed, when I hover over a thread title in Opera, just the Address comes up instead of the first couple of lines of the message...... Dagnamit, probably have to use IE for Boards now completely......
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Opera has always (well seems like for ever) done that on boards its been posted on feedback serveral times before.

Its just one of many quirky site behaviors you get from Opera. I used to be a big opera fan but its lack of compatability and things like ad-blocking are pushing me more and more towards firefox.

If you dont want to use IE try firefox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

As an Opera fan I find the ads interference an annoyance but I've stopped waiting for any new coding from the admins to beat this problem.

Mike.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

browser_compliancy.gif

The purple part is Opera.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

I take it the 98.2 percent is all gecko, and that IE doesn't even get a slice of the pie?

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Baz_ wrote:
    I take it the 98.2 percent is all gecko, and that IE doesn't even get a slice of the pie?
    Actually the 98.2% is Googlebot <_<

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote:
    As an Opera fan I find the ads interference an annoyance but I've stopped waiting for any new coding from the admins to beat this problem.

Mike.
    To be fair to the admins why should they have to code around a problem that is limited to Opera? IE, Firefox - and I presume Safari dont have this problem.

What really annoyed me about Opera was over the 2-3 years I had it as my main browser they were quite happy to add loads of new features without fixing any of the existing problems. Its a brilliant browser but they let themselves down a bit on the details like compatability, lousy bookmark management and a few others. If they added ad blocking to it I would probably go back.

[/rant]

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Although a little sorcerous in their implementations, there are several functioning adblockers for Opera.
    The particular niggle from your first post seems to be some sort of clash between vbulletin and Opera, and signalling the problem to either party is a waste of time, as neither reckons it's their fault.
    I just got used to it eventually, but I don't like it! ;)

I've tried one or 2 of the Opera adblockers and to say they are arcane is an understatement. I never got any of them to work, best results I had were with my Hosts file.

Advertisement