Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

appleseed

Options
  • 05-10-2005 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭

I seen appleseed for the first time last night and i was surprised by how bad it was, wont mind but i got it on an impulse buy. Its was way too much into the cgi effects and scenery and didnt seem to get into any of the characters
    at all.

The creators are the ones who did ghost in the shell, is it just me or was ghost in the shell a one hit wounder for them! :S

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

I rather enjoyed Appleseed (2004) but I didn't go into it with high expectations.

Production IG are one of the premier studios in Japan. Their back catalog includes the following:
    Blood the Last Vampire
    Dead Leaves
    Ghost in the Shell movies 1&2, SAC 1&2
    Jin-Roh
    Otogizoushi
    Patlabor movies
    Windy Tales

Lots of stuff announced too (Blood+ & IGPX) and theres a pile of other things they have done, or assisted on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

carbonkid wrote:
    I seen appleseed for the first time last night and i was surprised by how bad it was, wont mind but i got it on an impulse buy. Its was way too much into the cgi effects and scenery and didnt seem to get into any of the characters
    at all.

The creators are the ones who did ghost in the shell, is it just me or was ghost in the shell a one hit wounder for them! :S

I agree, I thought Appleseed was dreadful in comparison to Ghost In The Shell. Yeah, Appleseed & GITS are works of Masamune Shirow, I believe Shirow was involved in the creative process of the anime of GITS but didn't get involved with Appleseed, possibly explaining why it was so ****, either that or the fact that I.G studios spent the budget of the film on the graphics and the rest of the production (i.e. plot/narrative arc) were left out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭quon

I wasn't overly impressed with the story at all, but it was a ****e sight better than the old one.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭carbonkid

quon wrote:
    I wasn't overly impressed with the story at all, but it was a ****e sight better than the old one.

Appleseed is a remake? I was woundering why it was on release by both manga and optimum asia. Think it uses so much cgi for dynamic camera movements and beautiful scenery...just bored me tbh *yawn*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

The manga novels were pretty good though. Although it's been years since I've read them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 elfpoo

I rather enjoyed it! There's a sequal planned for 2006 and also a TV series. I don't know anything else at the moment but they're both things I'm looking forward to!

*barRy*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Raziel

carbonkid wrote:
    Appleseed is a remake? I was woundering why it was on release by both manga and optimum asia. Think it uses so much cgi for dynamic camera movements and beautiful scenery...just bored me tbh *yawn*

Surely it's not a remake of the other one? Was'nt that one made for Japanese TV, or an OVA?

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Appleseed OAV

Appleseed Movie

Don't guess, know!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

excuse my ignorance but what is an OAV?

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

evad_lhorg wrote:
    excuse my ignorance but what is an OAV?
    OVA/OAV = Original Video Animation or Original Animated Video; the two phrases are interchangable and basically amount to something with higher production value than an "epsisode of a series", but lower than a "movie".

Often used for a short straight to DVD series.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Raziel

Okay, so I did'nt know if it was made for Japanese TV or an OVA! :D In any case, I see looking at carbonkid's post again that there was a misunderstanding. It's not a remake of the OVA! :D

Advertisement