Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom announce ADSL & prices

Options
  • 11-09-2001 1:14pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.bizplus.ie/bp_online/news_desk/?ns=3491
    I-Stream Solo is for a single user on a single computer while Multi is for up to four users. For both, speeds are up to 512 kbps downstream and 128kpbs upstream.

The monthly fee for Solo is £77.97 and for Multi is £110.26.

The speeds for I-Stream Plus and Enhanced are 1Mbps downstream and 256kbps upstream. Plus is for up to four users with a £129.95 monthly fee while Enhanced is for a multi-user multi PC networked environment and costs £179.57 monthly.

... What a load of toss.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

... or almost EXACTLY €99 and €140

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I know that £80 a month is 4 times what we paid for Surf-no-limits, but this is at a greater speed, and it doesn't (yet) mention any limit of data transfer.

At that rate, I'll probably get it.

I just called their sales line and was told NO FURTHER charges - ie no cap.

So ... not as bad as we thought.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

No comment at the moment, just a question: Do those prices include VAT? It's not clear either in that article or on the Eircom DSL website (which has been updated btw).

adam

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

AFAIK those prices are excluding vat so you are actually talking just under £100 a month for the cheapest option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭NeilF

It's in the business section of the site, and business prices are usually ex vat. Other prices on the business site are ex vat. So, I would add another 20% on to the prices.

Over £250 for the basic connection and a USB modem. More for an ethernet connection.

Eircom never cease to amaze me.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

lol, taking an amusing comment from Quozl

Now rivalling the infamous "Esat No-Limits" Internet Service, Eircom are proud to introduce its very own "Cost No-Limits!" service. Hand over your bank accounts on our £1.50 a minute hotline - dial 1891 666 666.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Sputnik

Taken from the eircom ADSL page:
    A monthly download allowance, included in the monthly recurring charge, applies to some of the eircom i-stream products. Once this allowance has been reached, a per Megabyte additional charge will be levied. See individual product descriptions for details.
    So there will be a cap on some of the offerings, persumably the ones aimed at home users.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭infomat

The prices are a bit disappointing but more or less in line with the rumours. What could have those rejected by Regulator been like!

I phoned Eircom about an hour ago and I was waiting about 25 mins for a rep to answer.

(1) He said that no decision has yet been made regarding a cap. But there was a rumour of 1G in the case of lower priced offerings.
    (2) It would be possible to provide static IP with the enhanced but he did not if this was included in the price.
    (3) On Thursday/Friday a phone number will be published so that you can phone to express interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Dr99

Originally posted by infomat
    The prices are a bit disappointing but more or less in line with the rumours. What could have those rejected by Regulator been like!

I phoned Eircom about an hour ago and I was waiting about 25 mins for a rep to answer.

(1) He said that no decision has yet been made regarding a cap. But there was a rumour of 1G in the case of lower priced offerings.
    (2) It would be possible to provide static IP with the enhanced but he did not if this was included in the price.
    (3) On Thursday/Friday a phone number will be published so that you can phone to express interest.

(1) For ~£80 There should be NO cap, Eircon NO CAP, can you hear me or are you just deaf!
    (2) For ~£80 We should be alowed a static IP, Eircon ARE YOU LISTNING TO ME
    (3) For ~£80 The people maning the lines on Thursday or Friday will have to be VERY good at dealing with VERY angry customers!!

do I come accross as being a little pissed off? good because I am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Gladiator

The usual features associated with an ADSL Internet connection are:

Very high-speed access to the Internet.
    Always-on connection, no need to dial-up and connect.
    There is usually a flat fee charged for time online, regardless of duration.*
    Your telephone service works normally even when you are online.
    There can be almost real-time delivery of e-mail while you are online.
    Most ADSL suppliers apply a monthly download allowance, after which a per MB charge is levied.

i just warn to grab a eircom director and smash his brains, out, i have never been so insulted in my life. they seem to think i and you are total morons,

notice totaly outragest pricing is not up there.

Ps notice no mention of what the limit is but that there is one.

either which way, at those prices ill wait untill esat have an offer, which we should see a soon as eircon launch

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Gladiator

btw, it does not meantion weather or not this includes line rental i.e. the 25 every two months you pay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭K!LL!@N

Surely these prices are only for business users. They will more than likely release information about residential user plans in time. Obviously i'm not going to speculate on what the costs might or might not be because i have no idea. Hopefully they will be slightly less than business user prices.

Killian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

I would like to make the point that i'm also outraged at the prices for home internet users..ie myself!! It might be all well and good for businesses but for God sake I'd like to be able to eat every month please!! The fact that i'm a student doesn't exactly help. If I pay the ~£80 p/m I damn well sure better not have a cap!!
    Any chance of an i-stream student huh??

I hope to god that esat (or whoever) can offer a cheaper service. And if its only the £1 cheaper, I'm afraid Eircom you've just lost a customer!

Also are the modems subsidized at all?? Is there a minimum connection period?? Do I get a dancing technician to install the equipment at that price?? Did the regulator approve the prices???

All in all I’m not impressed!
    And to top it off, it probably won't be available in my area for another year!

ambrose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Pimp

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭dragonkin

Ridiculous,

Is the average (residential) internet user supposed to pay €119 per month! to use the Internet? albiet at a faster speed. This will only be realistic to the elite few who are willing to pay for it and a good percentage will just not be able to and the thought of caps...
    They will definitley be getting (another) angry call from me about this at the very least.

It is worse then not having anything at all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

I just got onto to the boards for the 1st time today...
    Sept. 11th 2001

After a day that pratcially made a grown man cry given the horrific tradegies unfolding before us in the USA, I honestly didn;t think the day could get any worse.Then again when it involves €ircon you must expect the worst.

I currently am contemplating curling up into a little ball and sobbing for the rest of the night- I am totally serious about this

€ircon WTF are you thinking??
    This product will fail in its current form- TAKE My word for it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Also are the modems subsidized at all??

If "Hi Speed" is anything to go by, no. When I was getting ISDN I told Eircom where to stuff their ISDN modem and got an AVM Fritz! I imported it from Germany, and it was still a hell of a lot cheaper than the Eircom jobby.

But I really don't know - Gladiator, you spent a good deal of time farting about with this a few months ago, how about proving all those annoying posts were really worth it now?

Hudson?

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

It might be a good idea to wait a little longer to see what other telco's offer. I mean you've waited this long for adsl what’s another couple months??

For those of you who are lucky enough to be able to afford the service, you might want to think about pooling together and getting your modem(s) at wholesale prices! Might work out a lot cheaper?

On a lighter note I was talking to an Eircom service man the other day, and asked him to find out if my local exchange was being upgraded (its only down the road). He reckons that he was informed it would be upgraded by the end of this month. Hmmmmm!! I wonder!!

To be honest all I want is a flat rate service I can use (*abuse*) to my hearts content 24/7. Would it not have been wiser to offer this first Eircom??? Do you really expect ppl to pay such high prices??? I think you've lost the plot!! E-hub my a$$! Half the price (with no cap of course!) and @ £40 I'll even promote your service for free!!!

Esat fair play for the surf no-limits service! Do one more and offer DSL @ friendlier prices!!

I hope Eircom from ppl's reaction you'll bring down your prices! Give your customers what they want!! Isn't that what businesses do???

I'm all done

ambrose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭smokin' an'chewin' man

Originally posted by Paulw
    I know that £80 a month is 4 times what we paid for Surf-no-limits, but this is at a greater speed, and it doesn't (yet) mention any limit of data transfer.

If you think you're going to get that speed part or all of the time you're pretty naive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jaimieh

How dare they decide how many computers I can connect to the damn thing! Surely they are in the business of selling bandwidth not connections!

If I choose to connect three PCs to the system via a router then that is surely my responsibilty not theirs. If I have three phones connected to my phone line then they do not care, why should they care if I have multiple PCs.

Also, what constitutes DUblin City and what constitutes Greater Dublin? Does anyone know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭infomat

Originally posted by jaimieh
    How dare they decide how many computers I can connect to the damn thing! Surely they are in the business of selling bandwidth not connections!

If I choose to connect three PCs to the system via a router then that is surely my responsibilty not theirs. If I have three phones connected to my phone line then they do not care, why should they care if I have multiple PCs.

Also, what constitutes DUblin City and what constitutes Greater Dublin? Does anyone know?

I have been dealing with Telecom/Eircom for a very long time and have discovered that they have a mental model of the world in which the only good customer is a business customer. Coupled with this is that business customers will pay extra so they really hate dealing with domestic users.

In order to determine who is a business users they have introduced a number of packages or service levels with no real difference other than price. Business users will select the most expensive package because they want to ensure the quality of service (also they can reclaim 20% VAT) and this will justify Eircom's model of the world.

I assume that there are a number of ways of defining Greater Dublin :
    Those areas that do not have a Postal Code (eg Dun Laoghaire) Plus those that do
    Those areas not managed by Dublin Corporation Plus the other areas such as Fingal
    Areas included in the 01 area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Molotov

From Eircom Website :

With you pay a flat monthly fee* - so you never need to worry about how long you spend online. This covers everything, including ISP charges, in one bill - enabling you to keep control of costs and plan your budget for the year, on day one.

*A monthly download allowance, included in the monthly recurring charge, applies to some of the products. Once this allowance has been reached, a per Megabyte additional charge will be levied. See individual product descriptions for details.

:confused:

For a single user, on a single computer

The product has both a USB port or ethernet option
    Speeds are up to 512kbps downstream/128kbps upstream
    Connection fee is 125 (IR£98.45) - Monthly fee is 99 (IR£77.97).
    Additional equipment required: ADSL USB modem 145 (IR£114.20) or
    ADSL Ethernet modem 200 (IR£157.51)

:(

Obviously the modems aren't subsidised , and why is an ethernet one so much more fricken expensive ? - Also you can't get more than 512k if you are a residential user.

:eek:

Advertisement