Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Boy Network

Options
  • 05-10-2005 4:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi,

I'm doing a bit of research into public/private schools in Ireland and I'm trying to find out to what extent, if any, the Old Boy Network continues to operate in this modern Ireland. Have any of you on these boards had first-hand experience of getting passed over for a job, heard of shady deals done or just witnessed the general fat-cattery associated with former public/private schoolboys? What about politicians?

As a former public/private schoolboy, it always amazed me the level of inter-connectedness of my classmates and their parents both socially and in business. Ross O'Carroll-Kelly is bang on about the public/private school system here!

D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

If it's research you're doing, explain what you mean by 'old boy networks'.

Also, I'm not so sure it's necessarily a public/private school thing. Apart from the value-judgement you seem to make about public versus private schools, why wouldn't you also look at sports clubs, political parties, college clubs and societies, pubs, various associations, family connections?

Unless it's specifically schools you want to look at but it seems to me you're looking at something general (old boys networks) and blaming it on something specific, one aspect. I dunno.

I mean, OBNs exist everywhere. And what about girls, huh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Your research proposal sounds very vague and you seem to have rather strong biases even though you're just starting out!

As Dadakopf said, OBN (and OGNs!) are to be found everywhere - people will tend to trust people they know more and favour them accordingly. I've only ever been to public schools but you do get inter-generational cliques in those too!

Yeah, the fashionable way to label "OBNs/OGNs" is to call them stocks of social capital".

While not necessarily a bad idea, the version Bertie subscribes to is, IMHO, dangerous.

Deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

How about a tangent
    How about a straight "no" from someone who can ban you if you will insist on heralding a thread hijack on a pet issue in someone else's unrelated thread just because it suits you. No need to respond.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

*sigh* Ross O'Carroll Kelly, The bible for people who choose to hate southside people, D4 in particular, and Private school leavers :rolleyes: ........ Unfortunatly, I happen to be both.

There is a serious case of "clasisim" in Dublin, and it all comes from "working class" people generally hating on "middle class" people, their accents, qusetioning their financial integrety, and It's the only double standard i've ever seen in our ultra PC society where the minority is the Victim!

I don't know if anybody heard this discussed on Adrian Kennedy recently, but I very good point was raised that it's perfectly acceptable for all these people to come on air and call southside people "posh" and put on the accent, and no one bats an eye lid...it's all poking fun, which is fine, and i can laugh at it, but what i find funnier is if someone comes on and sais all northsiders are kackers and takes the piss out of a dub accent, "working class" people ring-in in far greater numbers furious!!!! (at the cheek, and the nerve of him looking down his nose at us :rolleyes: was what one lady said)

I wouldn't have a problem with that, but when you have idiots coming on making statements like:
    "their parents both socially and in business. Ross O'Carroll-Kelly is bang on about the public/private school system here!"

You're obviously cluless! And it's about as true as If i came on here and started a thread saying...Has anyone read Roddy doyle? Haha, it's gas, all those knackers in north Dublin going around robbing cars, stabbing eachother and taking drugs!! All of their mams are slappers who don't know who their kids dads are, and all the dads make their money drug dealing! :D

The only difference is your comments will be facilitated alot happier than mine will. There are very wealthy areas and very poor areas all over this city, and neither are exclusive to the north side or south side.

If someone from D4 makes a lot of money in business, it's because they worked damn hard to get it, just like someone from a working class area works damn hard to make a lot of money in business, and it's nothing to do with "old boy network" connections! Although it's a very usefull excuse that can be used to begrudge someone sucsess in a way only us Irish can do.

But you want to do research? Research this. Someone comes from a working class area, works their ass off and makes a lot of money, they then move to D4 and send their kids to private school. At what point do idiots (perhaps like yourself) start to put all that down to "shady deals","The old boys network" or "General Fat Cattery"?

Ross O'Carroll Kelly is BS, This myth about D4 "Shadyness" is BS, Old boy network is BS, If you want to see snobery and classism, watch the majority of working class persons attitude towards someone with a D4 accent in pretty much any scenario. Hatrid is the only way i can describe it...But then...they're the ones with a problem...not me...

Calm down.

Advertisement