Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Twin towers attacked!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Originally posted by Superman

DID YOU KNOW that George Bush seniour was director of the FBI?

Senior and he was director of the CIA. Not the FBI.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

It's only now gradually dawning on me just how bad this really is.

I mean watching these events unfold during the day it begars belief. I was on the phone from my home to some friends who can't get access to a TV at work and the conversations were just like "Christ a plane has just crashed into one of the twin towers!", "Oh my God another one has just hit the other tower", "Jesus, The Fu<king tower is collapsing" etc. etc. etc.

It just seemed to get worse and worse all day. :(

Think about how really serious this is. The Twin Towers have been obliterated with countless lives lost, the centre of the US financial sector not to mention much of the world.

Manhatten has been totally devestated. I don't even want to dwell on the human cost there. The island has been completly shut off.

In fact the US borders have been closed and for the first time in US history a general order to clear US airspace was issued. Basically in the last few hours *everything* not military that was flying was ordered to land immediatly at the nearest airport or risk being shot down!

The security of the Pentagon has been exposed and the workings of Washington crippled in the immediate term.

Sorry for spouting on here a bit since I'm sure I'm not the only one but as a few have touched on earlier the repercussions of this day are more likely than not going to be huge.

I don't especially hold any validity to Nostradamous but this could so easily turn into WW3 if cooler heads don't prevale and I for one don't trust Bush or his administration to cope with this. The pressure on them to react with force will be hard to resist.

If Palistine is hit (with the aid of Israel) then you can be reasonably confident that many of the other middle eastern countries will rally around Palistine and attack Israel. The US will be forced to step in to defend and all you need is Russia, China or some other to step in and next thing every country in the world is taking sides and buttons are being pressed (lets not forget Israel has nukes and lord knows what nasty stuff Iran and company have been saving for this kind of situation).

I'm not especially religious.. but I know I'll be praying tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

As bad as it must have been..
    I feel most pity for the people in the planes,although there werent as many of them,they were in a plane that was being hi-jacked,and imagine what it must have been like for them.
    WWIII will be likely IF its a government that issued the attack.if its fanatics they will be wiped out and hopefully that will be the end of it (after months of mourning and sufering)...hopefully
    Its unbelievable tho that the people that hi-jackefd the planes knew they were gonna die,and take 1000s of lives with them,its not natural,it shouldnt have happened. :(:(:(

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 729 ✭✭✭popinfresh

This is serious sh1t, I think a war in which America cannot win has been started. To think, all some1 has to do is go on a plane, wth a weapon, as small as a knife could do that.....and as far as we know, it wasn't done by a particular country so Georgie won't know who to kill. As I'v been saying for the last year, that hillbilly is going to seiously fUUk up the world before his term is out..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Originally posted by popinfresh
    I think a war in which America cannot win has been started.

EXPLAIN

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Just to say I am only now coming to terms that this awful event. I can only pray God comfort the survivors and their families.

More info from a tech community perspective is at www.slashdot.org

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

planebeforeimpact.jpg

My god.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I went up and down in the lifts in that building when I was there 8 weeks ago.

"I cant believe the news today, Oh I cant close my eyes and make it go away..."

I'm watching afghanistan burn and I'm probably one of the few who can remember the last time there was nearly a world war over that country. Its all ****ed. I just rang my parents and I dunno why, just to hear them I guess.

This isnt going to end here and I dont want to know where it will.

"I dont know what World War III will be fought with,
    but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭SABLE

GOD REST THEIR SOULS.........OUR PRAYERS AREWITH YOU ALL

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Originally posted by JustHalf
    planebeforeimpact.jpg

My god.

Jesus FÚCK! :eek: :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by DeVore

"I cant believe the news today, Oh I cant close my eyes and make it go away..."

Tuesday, Terror Tuesday.

--

A certain 'rotten' web site has seen fit to publish pictures of people plummetting down the side of one of the ill-fated towers.

Humankind never ceases to plough new depths of evil and self-destruction... never ceases to find new ways to disgust me... - how very right were those couple of lines in "Terminator 2: Judgment Day":

John: "We're not going to make it, ... are we? - Humans, I mean."
    Terminator: "It is in your nature to destroy yourselves."
    John: "Yeah... major drag."

--

The world's going to hell in a hand-cart... and the sad thing is that it knows it and it either can't stop it, or it can't be bothered...

--

no fate..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Alis

I've just deleted an email from my 'Drafts' folder that was intended for a passenger of Flight 175, the Boston to LAX that ended abruptly in NY. He wasn't someone I 'knew', just a person I'd communicated with via email once before. Nevertheless deleting an email intended for any person who is now dead is not nice.

I wish there was a way to turn back the clock but there is not. I do believe that the thousands of people who have died are in a better place. It is the people they have left behind we need to think about. The horrors of the last 24 hours have left hundreds of thousands of people with traumas that are going to be very difficult to live with.

Thanks to the Internet you can communicate directly with people in NY, DC and beyond. These people need your constructive support and they need it now.

Whilst America must do all it can to protect its people from these awful acts of terrorism and war, 'revenge' is not the way forward. Anybody who has lived through a terrible ordeal, that was directly caused by a third party, should know that hating the third party responsible does not make it any easier to live with. If they don't know that, then they are misguided. Unfortunately people can become misguided very easily, especially when they are vulnerable.

Today the worlds biggest superpower is a nation that must be feeling very vulnerable. I don't personally trust that their leader, George W. Bush, has the integrity or strength to lead his nation through this difficult time.

I'm concerned that the American people have been led down the 'eye for an eye' revenge path for too many years. The fact that America is a nation that still has capital punishment worries me. IMHO Capital punishment can only be wrong. I don't believe the vast majority of Americans are 'bad' people, just because they allow this to go on in their country. When capital punishment was abolished in most European countries, the people of those countries were very often largely in favour of it. However twenty or thirty odd years later, the people of Europe now largely agree that capital punishment is wrong.

Right now we are living in a world that is not peace loving enough, but just maybe, if enough people start making the effort now, we will be able to look back in twenty or thirty odd years and say "look how we have changed for the better".

We all know that the weapons that existed in 1939, and the weapons that exist now, mean that any third world war would be very different to the first or second. But think about the incredible difference between the communication tools we had then and what we have now.

Communications are what we need here. I don't believe any nation in this world is populated with fundamentally 'bad' people. If we could just look deeply enough into all our enemies, we should be able to find enough understanding to disarm any amount of hostility.

I'm as scared as the next person of WW3 erupting, but I think we need to think about why wars happen and remember what Edmund Burke said: "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". I think everyone needs to think about what they can do to make a difference today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Twenty-four hours ago, this would have been best posted on the Humour board, today I would ironically see it more as a good insight into the infinite stupidity of Man:

http://www.doonesbury.ucomics.com/strip/dailydose/index20010824.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Chaos

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Originally posted by Alis

Communications are what we need here. I don't believe any nation in this world is populated with fundamentally 'bad' people. If we could just look deeply enough into all our enemies, we should be able to find enough understanding to disarm any amount of hostility.

I'm as stunned as all the postees seem to be.
    But I am sure of 1 thing. If the fanatics are crazy enought to kil themselves and 1000's of innocents as they did yesterday, then communicating with them WILL NOT WORK.

Perhaps addressiing the circumstances which has bred the hatred would be a long term solution, but these fanatics that exist will spend their lives killing their perceived enemies.

And the only way to combat it is to either imprison them or kill them.

Can I also say how disturbing it is too see the ordinary people of Palestine and Iraq dancing for joy when the news broke.

I always believed it was a few mad people at the top of these nations that were deranged, but that the ordinary people were like you or me.

X

XTerminator, with regards to Palestine, read up on what happened around 1947-48 with US help.

Iraq shouldn't be too hard to understand now, should it? Sanctions? Hello?

The US has been a bastard to these countries. They didn't deserve to be attacked in this way, but surely you can understand how some people cheer this?

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭ConUladh

It now looks likely that a Palestinian terrorist group was responsible for this act. (I say likely because Osama Bin Laden was warning that something like this would happen). If that is the case, it may give Israel US licence to pursue it's agression in Palestinian areas such as the Gaza strip.

Swiss, Usama Bin Laden is not Palestinian (Saudi, isn't he?), he's in Afganistan at the moment, I'm sure from time to time he works with/helps Palestinian terrorist groups but I think he has his fingers in a lot more pies

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Originally posted by JustHalf
    XTerminator, with regards to Palestine, read up on what happened around 1947-48 with US help.

Iraq shouldn't be too hard to understand now, should it? Sanctions? Hello?

The US has been a bastard to these countries. They didn't deserve to be attacked in this way, but surely you can understand how some people cheer this?

No way.

The average US citizen who lost their life has not been a bastard to anybody in Iran or Palestine. In fact they probably dont know anybody in Iraq or Palestine.

My point is how can these people dance and celebrate at the death of innocents? If these people were not so poisoned by the infectious hate that caused this to occur, they would realise this too.

I always assumed this hate, this sickness was limited to the heads of state in these country, and their cronies, but that the average Citizen was a decent joe public, just like you or me.

X

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

A minor point:

While Sky News was devoted to the unfolding tragedy in the US, last nights episode of "Star Trek: The Next Generation" involved a man "hi-jacking" the USS Enterprise in order to cause the deaths of thousands. I know it's probably a coincidence, but they could have chosen a better episode.

Originally posted by Xterminator
    No way.

The average US citizen who lost their life has not been a bastard to anybody in Iran or Palestine. In fact they probably dont know anybody in Iraq or Palestine.

My point is how can these people dance and celebrate at the death of innocents? If these people were not so poisoned by the infectious hate that caused this to occur, they would realise this too.

I always assumed this hate, this sickness was limited to the heads of state in these country, and their cronies, but that the average Citizen was a decent joe public, just like you or me.
    Xterminator, it's pretty simple. These people applaud the attack on the US. And, more than likely, these people attacked the US. Their choice of targets would suggest that.

In such a case, the people who died would probably not have mattered. The numbers, and their citizenship, would.

Of course, this is conjecture -- we STILL don't know who did it (though it would seem that Osama Bin Laden is involved) so we can't tell their motives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭ConUladh

Originally posted by Bard
    A minor point:

While Sky News was devoted to the unfolding tragedy in the US, last nights episode of "Star Trek: The Next Generation" involved a man "hi-jacking" the USS Enterprise in order to cause the deaths of thousands. I know it's probably a coincidence, but they could have chosen a better episode.

These weird co-incidences happen all the time

When there was a school shooting in that town outside Denver RTE just happend to be showing 'Things to Do In Denver When You're Dead' straight after the news

A woman rang into the Marian Finucane show on Radio 1 once distraught about her son who'd just had half his ear chopped off in a fight, after the conversation whoever the DJ was decided to play 'Stuck In The Middle' (Certain Pulp Fiction scene)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Originally posted by ConUladh

These weird co-incidences happen all the time

When there was a school shooting in that town outside Denver RTE just happend to be showing 'Things to Do In Denver When You're Dead' straight after the news

A woman rang into the Marian Finucane show on Radio 1 once distraught about her son who'd just had half his ear chopped off in a fight, after the conversation whoever the DJ was decided to play 'Stuck In The Middle' (Certain Pulp Fiction scene)

certain res dogs scene you mean.
    and i heard about that.
    i dont think the song was choosen by accident either.
    i remember there being an awful bollocking going on somewhere about it too.
    i thought it was funny.
    i had to laugh at the irony of the star trek episode as well.
    too wierd. feels nice to laugh at something even vaguely amusing.
    i am still stunned. i nearly lost my dinner last night at the pistures of people jumping from 70 floors up. thining about it still turns my stomach.
    if people can do that, imagine what the alternative was?
    poor unfortunate bas7ards. god help them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Originally posted by Xterminator

X

This was not the reaction of the majority of the Palestine people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Isegrim

This quote is taken from a German thread.
    It is planned to Mail this tread to as many governments as possible.
    So if you want to say something about this act of terror you are invited to say it there.

An appeal

At all governments of the countries of this world, we would like to pronounce our deep compassion and condolence to all victims, members and survivors of the terror attacks of the 11.09.01 hereby in the USA.
    Furthermore we sentence these cowardly, sneaky attacks on the sharpest. Nevertheless we appeal to you that you undertake everything standing in your power so that pointless vengeance hits, where countless innocent people will die again, don't occur.
    Because no matter from which direction the terror comes, whether left/right-extremely or religiously shaped, it is only stirred up by such vengeance actions more and more and can be finished only through a total obliteration of the respective groupings.
    This neither is in ours, however, so I hope, in your interest and cannot be of interest of the World Community either. Please fight for it with all political means that the responsible of this horrible act of terrorism are found and transfered to the American authorities.

[GSS]Insane alias Marc Schiel

(To all those id10ts out there: "post some crap and i will come for you and rip your balls off" )

Isegrim

http://www.clanintern.de/forum.php4?clan=15531&action=view&id=341073

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

wow, nobody even noticed terrorism before untill a major tragedy like the one we saw this tuesday happened. yes, its for real and im sorry to say but its happening all around the world on a daily basis.

president bush said, "America was targeted for attack because we're the brightest beacon for freedom and opportunity in the world." - they attacked america for different reasons then this which i wont go into because of my lack of knowledge.

im stunned at the size of the attack and sad for the great loss of human life that happened. but now, that it has happened, americans are not the only ones that have to deal with the issue. the rest of the world is in this toghether.

when was the last time you saw in court that the victim is the judge, jury and the executioner. i just hope they dont do something radical like major retaliation which can do nothing but cost more lives.

thats just my opinion and you can argue with it as much as you like.

adnans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Alis

Alis wrote:

Then Xterminator wrote:
    If the fanatics are crazy enought to kil themselves and 1000's of innocents as they did yesterday, then communicating with them WILL NOT WORK.

I was talking about enemies in the general sense, not the specific individuals who carried out these latest acts of terrorism and war.

e.g. The Palestinian children we saw 'celebrating' in the streets yesterday. Those people, we need to communicate with.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 729 ✭✭✭popinfresh

I think that this whole episode will go down in the history-books as the start of something horrible. No matter how powerful the American armies are, there is nothing they can do against an enemy that's willing to commit suicide. The frightning thing about all this is that tousands of people were killed, because of a few Arabs that had knives...George Bush is probably the most to blame here. He is the one who bombed Afganistan a few months ago.. He seems to have forgotton "For every action, there is a reaction". And given the hatred for USA among the middle-east, George Bush has WW3 in his hands..An unjust reaction could be the ultimate pisser for Iran and Iraq, therfore creating a new middle-eastern and asian worldpower....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

You know I would of said the same but now Iseral have moved forces into Jerico.

Some of the sh!t people are talking about just isn't funny anymore in regards to what they want with regards to retaliation.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement