Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Amstel Ad Genius

• 05-10-2005 6:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭

The new amstel ad with the irish lads and chris columbus is excellent , gets better every time I watch it , the statue of liberty (pint and pam tree is genius) and the dialogue brilliant "will them name it after us ? Ahh"

Must send them off any email to see who the marketing agency was?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Rotide

themessiah wrote:
    The new amstel ad with the irish lads and chris columbus is excellent , gets better every time I watch it , the statue of liberty (pint and pam tree is genius) and the dialogue brilliant "will them name it after us ? Ahh"

Must send them off any email to see who the marketing agency was?
    Yeah, its a good ad.
    Agency is DDFH&B, director was Steven St Ledger for H2 Films.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

i thought it was an interesting idea, but was too broken up and tried to fit in the same gags too much.

like when a group of friends has an insider joke that goes on for too long. well actually, i guess that describes the whole scene exactly, but....i dunno, it just seemed too fragmented for my liking

i did like the bit where the guys asks the rest do they wanna go for a scoop while chris is kissing the sand

good times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

rubbish tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Nuttzz wrote:
    rubbish tbh
    Ehhhhhhhh no. One of the funniest ads I've seen, ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭barrera

Nuttzz wrote:
    rubbish tbh

Have to agree - a really dumb, contrived ad. Made up by a bunch of agency types who really fancy themselves I'd say. Even worse in fact than the "Carlsberg don't do Mondays", which really was flogging the dead horse of that particular idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭blah

I hate it, don't like the "U S eh?" thing. It's supposed to be funny but I don't think it is. Bunch of Irish lads travelling to the new world with Columbus just seems so ridiculous, I don't understand what kind of image they're trying to create, I always imagined Amstel as having (and wanting) the image of the Stella Artois ads.
    What does the ad make you want to do?
    Drink amstel on the beach with your buddies?
    Travel on a boat?
    Go back in time to 1492 and discover America?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭leftofcentre

I like the ad. What I was wondering is that it must have been pretty pricey to produce. Is amstel not a niche brand?

I know this is where someone steps in and says thats the idea, to boost their market share, but even so Amstel never struck me as a great brand to begin with.

They are part of the heinekin empire so i suppose money is no object.

barrera wrote:
    Have to agree - a really dumb, contrived ad.
    Perfect for the target market tbh :D
    blah wrote:
    I hate it, don't like the "U S eh?" thing. It's supposed to be funny but I don't think it is. Bunch of Irish lads travelling to the new world with Columbus just seems so ridiculous.

It's almost "dumb clever" and appeals to the target audience perfectly.
    I've heard so many people in pubs talk about this ad already... and it already has its own thread here ;)
    blah wrote:
    What does the ad make you want to do?
    Go for a few "scoops" with your buddies.... ordering an Amstel preferably!

Heineken have replaced Amstel in their Champions League sponsor slot, and this ad campaign is doing a wonderful job to delve the Amstel brand into Ireland. I'd say we can expect more from ther "New World" campaign yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

This ad annoys me. Just not half as clever as it thinks it is. The 'US eh?' thing is just so lame.
    Still, Amstel is not he worst drink you can buy. and it's usually fairly cheap in the off-licence.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 ubiquity

I love the two ads for Imagine, the baby in the cot and the chips ad. Also the three FBD ads ...as seen in the Leopardstown Lions viewer

Peter Fry
    Director Europe VR66 LLC
    www.leopardstownlions.com

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭dubambman

Does anyone know where you'd get the new version of the amstel ad, based on the siege of troy.

Ye know the one with the big horse. :)

dubambman wrote:
    Does anyone know where you'd get the new version of the amstel ad, based on the siege of troy.

Ye know the one with the big horse. :)

Here you go:
    http://www.getareel.com/pby/h2films/getareel_viewclip.asp?CID=2940&ref=PTP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭d-arke

just curious if anyone thinks these ads were made solely for the irish market, with the knowledge that the irish are one of (if not the biggest) consumers of alcohol in europe. would these ads work in any other country? i can't for the life of me think that the ad was made soley for the irish. could the actors in those ads have been replaced with say spanish/german actors with a changed script.

personally, i like the ads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 wytse

Well, here in the netherlands these commercials aren't used. We've a serie of commercials about three friends. I don't know if you guys have the Heineken commercial (since it's the same company) with the Mars Lander. If so, the neon probably says: Heineken. Here it says: Biertje? This is the dutch slogan.

I think there are different ads for allmost every country.

Wytse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭radioman

I think the fact that this ad has brought so much discussion both here and elsewhere makes it a success in itself, does it not?

The Amstel ad was Irish made for the Irish market.
    Heineken and Bud continue to use global ads here.... perhaps they are taking their market dominance of the beer market here for granted.
    Carlsberg, are probably (excuse the pun) best known for their Irish ads... many of which have been adopted by other markets due to their success.
    (The "probably the best flatmates" ad was used in the UK).

I think the fact that this ad has brought so much discussion both here and elsewhere makes it a success in itself, does it not?

I'm sure they'll be analysing sales figures to see if they're really a success.
    It's also the first real assault by Amstel on the Irish market, so it may take a while for them. It'll have to be well backed up by promos and good marketing in pubs and clubs for the push to work.

Forgot to mention... Given the success of the Amstel ads here, they may well think about using them in other markets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

d-arke wrote:
    just curious if anyone thinks these ads were made solely for the irish market, with the knowledge that the irish are one of (if not the biggest) consumers of alcohol in europe. would these ads work in any other country? i can't for the life of me think that the ad was made soley for the irish. could the actors in those ads have been replaced with say spanish/german actors with a changed script.

personally, i like the ads.

I'm sure I heard it on some UK channel with English accents.

Gawd, I think it's one of the dumbest ads I've ever seen. Not in a funny way either... it's just sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

reminded me of the Holy Grail :D

IIII fart in your general direction! you stuupid knnnnnnnights

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

wytse wrote:
    I don't know if you guys have the Heineken commercial (since it's the same company) with the Mars Lander. If so, the neon probably says: Heineken. Here it says: Biertje? This is the dutch slogan.
    Yea we have, and yes it does (say 'Heineken' in the neon).

Amstel ad is pretty good alright. Not overly fussed about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 BouldFace

wow wow, wait a minute. Lets get a few things straight. Overall this ad is a complete pile of ****e. It does start promising with some really nice opening shots but after 10 seconds decends into a style of "comedy" Brendan O'Carroll would be proud of. It's poorly directed, badly written and has worse acting than Fair City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

whiskeyman wrote:
    Heineken and Bud continue to use global ads here..

Ill have you know that most of the Heineken ads on air here are irish, thank you very much :)

Bud are supposed to be doing irish ads, (ive done some in the past) but dont seem to get round to making them very often. Theres 2 pretty high profile irish market ones on at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

BouldFace wrote:
    It's poorly directed, badly written and has worse acting than Fair City.

....says the multi D+AD winner ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Tazz T

BouldFace wrote:
    t's poorly directed, badly written and has worse acting than Fair City.

There is a slapdash feel about. I think that's half the charm of the ad. It's like it was made by a few lads having a laught which means it's on the money for the target market.

Personally, I think it's great. And the mere fact it's being discussed here, proves that it works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Tazz T wrote:
    And the mere fact it's being discussed here, proves that it works.

No, if there were people here buying Amstel, that would prove that it works. Talk is cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭elurhs

IMHO, the ad is rubbish, but I suppose it's a subjective thing. The basic idea is good, but the execution, to me anyway, is crap. The "jokes" are not even funny the first time, and the three fellas annoy the hole off me. It would nearly turn me off buying Amstel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Drogman

From looking at this thread, I think some people are being a little too geeky over not liking the ad. I mean i'm no expert in the art of film making but when I look at both of the ads it makes me laugh.

I think its targeted at people who are witty and can see someone trying to have fun which is what I think the makers were trying to do here.

I think it will work cause once your in a boozer, or supermarket and see a can of Amstel you will quote a line from the ad, jesus even I've done it:D

And the thing is Amstel is easier to sell, cause its different from Bud or Carlsberg and I think people are getting bored of those drinks.

Anyone here the radio ad follow up to the first TV one, where one of the lads is back at home in the local and the barman starts talking to him, quite funny as well ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭d-arke

Drogman wrote:
    From looking at this thread, I think some people are being a little too geeky over not liking the ad. I mean i'm no expert in the art of film making but when I look at both of the ads it makes me laugh.

I think its targeted at people who are witty and can see someone trying to have fun which is what I think the makers were trying to do here.

I think it will work cause once your in a boozer, or supermarket and see a can of Amstel you will quote a line from the ad, jesus even I've done it:D

And the thing is Amstel is easier to sell, cause its different from Bud or Carlsberg and I think people are getting bored of those drinks.

Anyone here the radio ad follow up to the first TV one, where one of the lads is back at home in the local and the barman starts talking to him, quite funny as well ;)

Couldn't agree more with you, good shout!! Though not sure about the Amstel is easier to sell line. I would have thought Bud especially is still top dog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Drogman wrote:

If this were the television forum I might agree with you because we'd be rating the ad based purely on its entertainment value, which is of course subjective.

But this is the Advertising/Marketing forum so it's being discussed in terms of both its production values from the script-writing, film production point of view, and its business values in terms of its effect on sales.

Personally I think the ad is unfunny and lacks imagination. If you want something truly witty, and in a similar vein, check out the Weetabix ads from the early nineties - funny stuff.

• Advertisement
Advertisement