Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

build or buy?

Options
  • 05-10-2005 6:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭

hey, as the title suggests, i'm thinking of building a bike. what i'd like to know from anyone whos ever done this is, does it work out cheaper or more expensive in the end?

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭happygoose

I built, litespeed vela frame, almost new ultegra groupset, selle italia saddle, itm finishing kit, better off buying from scratch. Giant OCR 2 '06, bike shops can't keep enough of them, nice looking bike too.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

Yeah, it's probably cheaper buying off the shelf, but building your own bike means it's personalised, plus, as you've built it, you know the ins and outs for maintenance.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

PunK05 wrote:
    hey, as the title suggests, i'm thinking of building a bike. what i'd like to know from anyone whos ever done this is, does it work out cheaper or more expensive in the end?

thanks.

I'd say it is cheaper to buy complete (especially at the entry level bikes) but if you want High End or customised parts that you don't get as standard and you know you will end up buying these bits aftermarket anyway then it will probably work out cheaper to build yourself (but more expensive initial outlay of course).

Building a bike is handy. The Bottom Bracket is the only dodgy part and you can leave that in somewhere to be done if needs be.

At this stage I am about a frame short of 2 mountainbikes thanks to aftermarket parts and upgrades and have a nice collection of wheels going...

L.

Advertisement