Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help With Something Small?

• 05-10-2005 8:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm studying Japanese (just begun fifth year), and as you might expect I'm not too good... but I was reading a site where a Japanese man was writing in English about religion, and while he managed to name Buddhism, Islam and Christianity, he posted:

天光教

In kanji.

I used some translators, and it comes out as "Sky light teaches"...

Is it Shinto, or something else? I was just curious.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Flashraziel

What was the website?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭elvenscout742

My Japanese isn't that good, but a few things I do know are various words and characters relating to religion and mythology...

I don't recognise the compound, and it's not in "The Kanji Dictionary" of Mark Spahn and Wolfgang Hadamitzky, and it's not on Japanese Wikipedia, so I would assume it's some form of misprint. I did, however, think as soon as I saw it that it sort of resembled "Tenrikyo". The first character means "heaven", and the last means "teachings" (i.e., religion). Maybe it was meant to refer to Tenrikyo, although I can't find any link between 理 and 光 that could have caused such an error...:confused:

Advertisement