Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One Vote for sale

Options
  • 05-10-2005 10:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭

Who am i going to vote for in the next general election?

I am a floating voter. Voted FF last time and between the lies and just plain ignorance of some of the FFers and PDs i wont be voting for either party again.
    I cant think of anyone worth my vote though and i believe people died to give me the right to vote so i have to use it. But its disgaraceful that no party is providing me with an alternative.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭black_jack

Newshound wrote:
    Who am i going to vote for in the next general election?

I am a floating voter. Voted FF last time and between the lies and just plain ignorance of some of the FFers and PDs i wont be voting for either party again.
    I cant think of anyone worth my vote though and i believe people died to give me the right to vote so i have to use it. But its disgaraceful that no party is providing me with an alternative.

The suggestion that your vote is open to naked bribery (as you suggest it's for "sale") means that touting that people died to give you such a right means they died in vain.

What do you expect for your vote?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Start your own party?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Newshound

black_jack wrote:
    The suggestion that your vote is open to naked bribery (as you suggest it's for "sale") means that touting that people died to give you such a right means they died in vain.

What do you expect for your vote?

Oh Jesus.
    Whats crawled up your ass?

Read the post and don't take the title so literaly. I'm sure you have a brain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Im sure you do too, but i suggest you don't vote. People ignorant of the issues, and incapable of idependant thought like yourself are dangerous in a ballet box. Its the reason FF have been in government for so long, even your origional post shows you did what a lot of voters do by going through the motions,voting FF without actually having a clue, complain about them for a few years, and then vote for them again.

It's also the reason I wouldn't be suprised if George W. somehow got a third term!! Change the constitution or something.

You know I've never met an amercan who admits voting for him, and they all give out about him!!! Somebody must have voted for him...or are they not willing to admit they were star struck by the big smoke and lights in the lead up to an election, and then realised this person is making descions for the next four years, so they appose it, just for it to happen allll over again? :rolleyes:

If someone has a policy that there must be an exam to ensure you know the issues before you vote...that party will get my vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

DubGuy wrote:
    If someone has a policy that there must be an exam to ensure you know the issues before you vote...that party will get my vote.

Only if you pass the exam...:D

• Advertisement

DubGuy wrote:
    incapable of idependant thought like yourself are dangerous in a ballet box. Its the reason FF have been in government for so long, even your origional post shows you did what a lot of voters do by going through the motions,voting FF without actually having a clue, complain about them for a few years, and then vote for them again.

With respect, that whole argument is just a tad offensive - the stupid and ignorant vote FF, the intelligent like yourself vote otherwise. There is no real evidence beyond your own opinion to support that, and of course it is an argument that could be made about any party ie. people who vote Labour/FG/Sinn Fein are just going through the motions, they don't have a clue other then that for some reason they hate FF, and next time round they'll do the same again...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Newshound

I had my reasons for voting FF when i did. You could not know my reasons i voted FF because i havent told you, so relax. You have your opinions and i have mine. Do you vote anti FF all the time? Did your family vote FG so you will forever detest FF? I was shafted and am trying to do somthing about it. I'm not actually asking your advice - I'm just making a statement about the current state of affairs here. Thats the spirit the post was meant in. Try not to be blinded by your politics and dont critisise people for how they voted before. They had their reasons same as you did. What counts is how they learn from it. I believe anyone open to changeing their vote are a much better person for the good of the country than those whos vote is set in stone since birth.

DubGuy wrote:
    You know I've never met an amercan who admits voting for him, and they all give out about him!!! Somebody must have voted for him...or are they not willing to admit they were star struck by the big smoke and lights in the lead up to an election, and then realised this person is making descions for the next four years, so they appose it, just for it to happen allll over again?

Well thats a lie. There are plenty of Americans who say they voted for Bush. Some are still happy,others are not. Some realise it was the wrong choice and will try to get it right next time.

DubGuy wrote:
    It's also the reason I wouldn't be suprised if George W. somehow got a third term!! Change the constitution or something.

Err, use your head. Like this could happen. If this happens i'll jump off the empire state building in front of you.

You seem too wrapped up in your critisism of others to see the light of day.
    Why does politics bring out the black or white mentality in people? Sometimes i thing its like football. You're a supporter of one team or another and you never change and god help anyone who supports your opponent - ever.

If someone has a policy that there must be an exam to ensure you read whats in the original post before you post ... that party will get my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

People should be forced to vote; IMO the most important part of democracy is voting. If you don't want to vote for anyone, then simply don't give a vote on the ballot. If we had 90-100% electoral turnout, and 40% of voters voted no preference, it would be the biggest event in this country in years. There would be uproar. If I don't want to give my vote to any of the candidates, then I simply don't give a preference, but I am still excercising my right to vote, and making a statement saying that I will not give my vote to any of the candidates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Newshound wrote:
    But its disgaraceful that no party is providing me with an alternative.

Well what do you believe in?

I find it hard to believe that in Ireland, with is multi-party system with far more parties than say the USA or UK, u cannot find a party that matches in some way your political beliefs.

Are you saying that you believe in what FF is supposed to stand for but you don't like the FF TDs in your region, or the party in general, at the moment?

bruachain wrote:
    People should be forced to vote; IMO the most important part of democracy is voting.

I hope you see the irony in that statement :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

conor74 wrote:
    With respect, that whole argument is just a tad offensive - the stupid and ignorant vote FF, the intelligent like yourself vote otherwise. There is no real evidence beyond your own opinion to support that, and of course it is an argument that could be made about any party ie. people who vote Labour/FG/Sinn Fein are just going through the motions, they don't have a clue other then that for some reason they hate FF, and next time round they'll do the same again...

Well I never said it was exclusive to FF, but let's face it, a lot of ignorant votes are out there, and any party that gets into power will get in on the back of a portion of clueless people voting for reasons other than policys.

You're right, It's only my opinion, but I do believe that any public as a whole are idiots, it's only when you meet them in person, they are intelligent. It's the exact point I was making about Americans.

If FG/Labour were to get in next time, I'd be the first to admit a lot of it would be to do with media hype about an oppositon, and not about a slogan "a lot done....blah"

It's very easy to manipulate the public, FF are just better at it. But it's been a long time since any government anywhere got in on anymore than 3 core issues and a lot of showboating. Hence, going through the motions.

Although I do notice Conors faith of jumping to the defence of the FF party systmaticly, almost as soon as they're mentioned, with an aggressive paranoia that something offensive is being insinuated. :) Don't always take offence to peoples opinions that aren't in line with your own...it gets tiresome for you to dish it out a lot, but refuse to take any in return. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

If you can't decide who to vote for I recommend voting for whoever is not in power. If everyone does this at each election it keeps the current Government on their toes, they don't get cocky and arrogant like the current FF/PD one. Even if it is FF for 4 years, then FG for 4, then Labour or someone else for 4 at least it is not the same bunch of arrogant idiots who do fúck all because they think they are assured your vote next time around.

Another alternative is to vote for one of the local independent candidates who are standing for issues you agree with. True they will probably not get elected but if they are getting a significant number of votes and hurting the local FF/PD candidate they aregoing to notice and take a look at the issues they stand for and hopefully do something about them.

Wicknight wrote:
    ROFL :D Well spotted, Beat me to it!

Newshound, your origional post did seem to be asking for advice, appologies, if it wasn't, my constitution comment I think had a hint of sarcasim, and no, myvote is not set in stone, but I am very anti this Government, as are a lot of people (for now), but unlike them, I wont get caught up in the show boating that goes on around election time, and i'll remember the 101 things going wrong in this country when I vote FG#1 Labour #2.

That way, I'll be entitled to complain for the entire next term if they get back in :p

DubGuy wrote:
    Although I do notice Conors faith of jumping to the defence of the FF party systmaticly, almost as soon as they're mentioned, with an aggressive paranoia that something offensive is being insinuated. :) Don't always take offence to peoples opinions that aren't in line with your own...it gets tiresome for you to dish it out a lot, but refuse to take any in return. :rolleys:

It's only a political board. No need to get personal Dubguy, it detracts from the arguments we are all making and will simply turn the thread into a mess.

Wicknight wrote:

Alright, alright lads and lassies, it's early morning and I'm still hanging!! Well-spotted though...!

You get my point though, in my experience the first people to complain about the state of the nation etc. are usually those who haven't voted in years. I'm mid-20s, and when I hear my fellow "Celtic Tiger-cubs" moan and bitch about everything in this country, I ask them did they vote in the last election, and the usual response is "nah, sure why would I waste my time?". That's the real irony... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dimitri

I'm of the opinion that there is no one to trust to fulfill their promises this time around. The rainbow coalition has too many familar faces many of the candidates played a part in the last rainbow disaster and their methods havent changed. As for fianna fail, after so long in government, even if i did trust them, i do not think there is anything they can offer us they are tiered and reckless. Sure they spent more on health for example than any previous party but i reckon most of this is sitting on shelves in the department in the form of consultancy reports commisioned by mickey martin, and this kind of half assed methodology is found in every department in one form or the other. As for SF, i wont even go there..

bruachain wrote:
    I ask them did they vote in the last election, and the usual response is "nah, sure why would I waste my time?". That's the real irony... ;)

Well I am of the same belief that if you don't bother voting you have no right to complain about the current government (slightly different from forcing people to vote :D). The excuse "sure they are all just as bad" is nonsense. As I said in a previous post I find it hard that people cannot find an alternative they are happy with in the multi party system we have in this country.

Wicknight wrote:
    I find it hard that people cannot find an alternative they are happy with in the multi party system we have in this country.

Exactly - it could be a hell of a lot worse, like the US where its two choices, red or blue!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

What constituency are you in?

Newshound wrote:
    Oh Jesus.

You could do well to read the charter.

No more posts of that nature please or you will be banned.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭black_jack

Newshound wrote:
    Oh Jesus.

It's not my brain we should be worried about.

The fact that you're coming here, talking about how people died to give you the vote. A vote you can't even be bothered to develop a political philosophy or reason to decide which party or politican you should vote for, but come here and expect people to "sell" you another viewpoint.
    I had my reasons for voting FF when i did.

What were they and why did they change? What do you expect from a politican?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

VOTE MAURICE HICKEY

BRING BACK THE PLASTIC BAG!!!

Advertisement