Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Evening a floor to lay laminate

Options
  • 05-10-2005 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭

I would like to lay some of those fake tiles that are actually laminate in my kitchen. The ones I've seen are actually pretty convincing, and are quite cheap. Anyway, the problem I have is that the kitchen is on two levels and has a concrete floor.

The difference in level is about 1 inch. What do people suggest I do to raise the lower floor level. I was thinking of cutting a sheet of marine ply and bonding it to the floor (obviously making sure the resulting level was as close as possible to the higher floor) and then lay the laminate on top of that.

I think the laminate comes with a spongy underlay, which I'll put directly onto the concrete in the higher section, and onto the marine ply in the lower section.

Does this plan sound ok to people or am I missing something?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭dogg_r_69

chabsey wrote:
    I was thinking of cutting a sheet of marine ply and bonding it to the floor (obviously making sure the resulting level was as close as possible to the higher floor) and then lay the laminate on top of that.

I think the laminate comes with a spongy underlay, which I'll put directly onto the concrete in the higher section, and onto the marine ply in the lower section.

Ya use plywood It's cheap, Just make sure there isn't a differenence between the 2 floors and make sure the ply is secure to the floor so it won't feel like it loose under foot

Have laid laminate floor but never the actual tile ones Saw them being put down once Didn't seem any different to the normal maminate floors You can't go to far wrong.

Advertisement