Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price Change After Confirmation?

Options
  • 05-10-2005 10:39pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I recently ordered a few items from thomann.de, a German music retailer. I've been waiting on one of the items to come into stock before everything gets shipped to me. I logged on this evening and noticed that one of the items has gone up €154 to €598. I have a confirmation from Thomann with a list of items at the original prices along with all my details which was sent out a few days ago. I don't think the credit card has been charged yet but can Thomann charge me the new price or is the confirmation legally binding, considering it's only an email?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

u can back out

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

I don't want to back out though. I want the items I bought for the price they were confirmed at.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

email them thats ridiculous...is the new price itemised(ie does it show the cost of each item)

I'm not sure you understood. I bought three items

Item a: €500
    Item b: €20
    Item c: €20

That was confirmed in the email I got which included shipping and all my delivery details etc. Now I was checking the website tonight to see if the items were in and I noticed item a was now €154 more. I just want to know can Thomann charge me the extra €154.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

sorry bud...i think the emailis a contract so to speak...has to be a typo or something they are usually okj...have u contacted them??

• Advertisement

If a confirmation email is legally binding, then happy days. They had one item at the lower price for at least a week then I checked it again tonight and it had gone back up to it's old price. They're also waiting for it to come into stock. I emailed Thomann on Monday to ask the status of my order but they didn't mention a price change.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

As you placed the order and received confirmation with the original prices, you should be fine.

Excellent stuff. We'll see how this all pans out so.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I'm just wondering if the "invitation to treat" thingy applies here? As when websites make a pricing mistake, ie computer for E50, everyone rushes in and buys, and then all orders are cancelled, as it was a genuine mistake on the retailers part.

Though in fairness, I think that won't apply here.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Check out this thread from the bargain alerts forum - something quite similar (Komplett had a 32" LCD telly on sale for 111).

Basically, they will probably say that the confirmation email is not a legal contract.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

most companies reserve the right on websites to change their prices at any time of a sale without notification.
    as for an e-mail being a legally binding contract, its not. you didnt sign your sig anywhere.

they cannot hold you to it.
    and also, if they did ship the goods, and u were charged on ur cc for it, then u dont sign for them. the goods will be returned to the vendor and you will be refunded.

also, it doesnt affect ur statatory rights to return the goods as they were not living up to ur expectations... i.e the price u payd for them.
    best e-mail them and see what they say.
    100 quid they will appologise and offer the gods to you, or decide to cancel the sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Ring your CC company and ask them what was charged. If its the higher amount you can send the stuff back and get the CC company to reverse the charges

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

you can't be charged more unless you agree to it - not do they have to give it to you at the lower price.

In case anyone is interested, my items were shipped for a total of €505 which was the initial price. The stuff is now worth about €660 :D Thanks everyone for your help.

Advertisement