Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

a SERIOUS warning to IBB customers cancelling their account

• 05-10-2005 11:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Not satisfied with providing crap service AND NO customer support (to prove this ring the sales lines....you ALWAYS get through) IBB have now resorted to just taking my money for no service...ive just been billed for the ripwave service i cancelled 2 months ago...advice to everyone cancelling their DISGRACEFUL service....as soon as you cancel, write a letter to your bank instructing them to ENSURE NO MORE MONEY IS WITHDRAWN BY IBB....can't believe they robbed me, plus now i have to deal with the fact i can never speak to anyone in customer support to solve my problems and everytime i try to complain at sales line they just transfer me straight away to tech support????....if you listen very carefuly there are distinct differences in the ringtone between sales numbers and customer numbers....i can now always tell when im going to talk to someone and when im going to be put on the eternal hold machine...have contacted comreg hopefuly theyll sort it out...if not i'll be taking legal action...even though its a small amount of money its the same as if they stuck a knife at my troat in town and robbed me off my wallet...I bet in Ireland we never thought we'd find anyone worse than eircom!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Macker1

Got away from these jokers last month due to 3 months of ****e service. Was promised a refund of 2 months ( 98 euro ). I have yet to see this refund hit the bank. Even though I'm no longer a customer I'm still going to hassle the feckers until I get my money, its a matter of principal.

For any IBB customers having problems do yourselves a favour and dump them. I gave them the benefit of the doubt and they messed me around.

I pray for the day that IBB go out of business. There is no room in this day and age for such incompatence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

IM with them 10 months and have had about 4 mohths of decent service and paid for every Dam month of it. Thats why they operate by direct debit cause I wouldent be paying for the crap Ive been getting other wise. I have little other BB option as I have no phone line and dont want one but Ive heard that NTL ( and they are cheaper ) is now in my area so i`ll be giving them a call soon. I might just hang on till the end of my contract to make parting ways a little more simple.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

i got a bill for ripwave service i cancelled after one week. this is totally unacceptable and i threatened legal action about it. they also had the gall to charge intrest on the unpaid balance. eventually they backed down so i didn't have to resort to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭Adey2002

I cancelled a couple of months ago and immediately wrote to my bank to ensure that any direct debit s from IBB were refused. I'm still getting a bill from them every month. I just email it back to them.

If anyone is interested I'm now with icecomms (www.icecomms.net) they have actually rolled out a wireless service that works and I am more than happy with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Not satisfied with providing crap service AND NO customer support (to prove this ring the sales lines....you ALWAYS get through) IBB have now resorted to just taking my money for no service...ive just been billed for the ripwave service i cancelled 2 months ago...advice to everyone cancelling their DISGRACEFUL service....as soon as you cancel, write a letter to your bank instructing them to ENSURE NO MORE MONEY IS WITHDRAWN BY IBB....can't believe they robbed me, plus now i have to deal with the fact i can never speak to anyone in customer support to solve my problems and everytime i try to complain at sales line they just transfer me straight away to tech support????....if you listen very carefuly there are distinct differences in the ringtone between sales numbers and customer numbers....i can now always tell when im going to talk to someone and when im going to be put on the eternal hold machine...have contacted comreg hopefuly theyll sort it out...if not i'll be taking legal action...even though its a small amount of money its the same as if they stuck a knife at my troat in town and robbed me off my wallet...I bet in Ireland we never thought we'd find anyone worse than eircom!!!

Seriously, you seem surprised. Many have come and fallen before you have, me included.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Ring your bank and tell them that IBB took that money without your authorisation. Tell them you're having no luck in contacting them and ask the bank to retrieve the money for you. Then also tell them (in writing) to reject any further direct debit requests from IBB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭FakePlasticMan

With regard to the post mentioning Ice Comms, I work in the St.Margarets area at the back of the airport and we have been trying for the last year to get any kind of broadband. Tried IBB, Digiweb and several others and were about to give up and be resigned to dial up forever when I found Ice Communications on the goverment Broadband Info site. They were able to provide wireless broadband with little fuss. So anybody in the St.Margarets area or The Ward who hasn't been able to get broadband ...give them a try.

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

When I cancel my DD I wont even tell then its canceled and get a month or free BB cause they owe me as much at this stage. I will do it during my transition over to Metro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Altheus

I had to cancel mine too, 3 or 4 months ago, sent back the modem too, they still bill me, I just reply with the same cancellation email, dated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭Ardent

jor el wrote:
    Ring your bank and tell them that IBB took that money without your authorisation. Tell them you're having no luck in contacting them and ask the bank to retrieve the money for you. Then also tell them (in writing) to reject any further direct debit requests from IBB.

Does it have to be in writing? I rang my bank instucting them to cancel DDs from IBB, surely they cannot take money from my account now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Ardent wrote:
    Does it have to be in writing? I rang my bank instucting them to cancel DDs from IBB, surely they cannot take money from my account now?

You'de be surprised. A lot of companies have an agreement with the banks, in good faith, that they don't have to supply the banks with written proof. Not sure if IBB is one of them.

I'm still being billed, 2 or 3 months after I cancelled. But I stopped the DD's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭MicraBoy

Personally I think that you should always write to cancel the direct debit with the bank when stopping any service. It's the best way to ensure a mix up doesn't happen.

I'm suprised they didn't tell you to write to them to cancel. They usually like a paper trail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

MicraBoy wrote:
    Personally I think that you should always write to cancel the direct debit with the bank when stopping any service. It's the best way to ensure a mix up doesn't happen.
    Yes, always best to keep a paper trail for things like this. I just hope you're not with AIB as they recently told my sister that she has no right to cancel a DD on her own current account! She must contact the company in question and get them to cancel it. This is pure bollox, it's your account and your money. If you decide to cancel the DD, then the AIB or the other company have no right to stop you.

Perhaps it's something to do with that agreement that some companies have with the banks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

jor el wrote:
    I just hope you're not with AIB as they recently told my sister that she has no right to cancel a DD on her own current account! She must contact the company in question and get them to cancel it.

It matches the advice IFSRA (and BoI) were giving out a while ago as well, that the DD contract is between you and the supplier, and that the bank is merely a 3rd party/facilitator. I've asked for clarification on this, via email, but haven't heard back yet. The DD Agreement (which most DD paper forms are based on) clearly says you can cancel the agreement, anytime, in writing to the bank.

It defies (my) logic that you can't tell your bank who to deny access to your money.

.cg

Advertisement