Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whats you're handicap?

• 05-10-2005 11:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭

What is you're handicap? How long did it take you to get there?

I think this would be a good thing for existing posters and newcommers to see what the average hanidcap is for this forum, as well as a good discussion.

Probably best to add you're current handicap rather than previous.

I'll start by saying that I'm a 28 as I've just started but I'm starting to work on it now.... :o

What is your handicap? 65 votes

25+
    0% 0 votes
    16-24
    20% 13 votes
    10-15
    23% 15 votes
    10-14
    4% 3 votes
    5-9
    18% 12 votes
    Less than 5
    33% 22 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭mag

started playing around 20 yrs ago as a nipper, played pretty much non-stop through my teens when i got down to 2, then life got in the way so i didnt play a whole lot for 10 yrs but kept my membership & handicap going, its risen gradually with occasional cuts...trying to get back into playing very regularly now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

Not really sure, i think my dad works it all out and if i remember he said 17.
    Was thinking the other day, if there was enough interest some1 should try set up a boards golf day :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

This Poll is flawed.

Are we talking Official Handicaps, which are goverened by tight rules and regulations, or the more looser Society Handicaps which are not regulated at all and vary considerably from society to society?

Societies CANNOT issue official GUI handicaps!

S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭css

Am off 12 at the mo, but that'll drop ;)
    I wasn't playing seriously for about 10 years! Been a member of a club since 10 or so though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

slumped wrote:
    This Poll is flawed.

You never said a truer word. Have a look at the options.

10 to 14
    10 to 15

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭WillyWonka

Sorry guys it was late at night and my brain must have been asleep. My intentions were good.

Is there a MOD that can edit the options?? If not forget the poll, people can just reply.

Slumped you just answered your own question there, society hanidcaps are not official and vary greatly, so official GUI ones only. :)

WillyWonka wrote:
    Sorry guys it was late at night and my brain must have been asleep. My intentions were good.

Is there a MOD that can edit the options?? If not forget the poll, people can just reply.

Slumped you just answered your own question there, society hanidcaps are not official and vary greatly, so official GUI ones only. :)

Willy - you should delete the poll and start it again!
    S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I am 17 years old and started golf when i was 10. I was given a 35 handicapp. I was off 30 the next week then 28 the following.

Over the past 5 years my game has jsut hit a high, every year i get better and better.

This is how my handicapp fell

Of course there was times where i went abck out or whatever, but I think 17 years of age, much to learn thats an impressive read, I never get daunted by people saying how i should be lower or they are lower. I know for a fat i should be lwoer cause im a good player, but it shows golf progression that a 17yr old is not happy with 10 =D

And im jsut abck from injury so im not expecting much.

My way of playing is that I play my way, and thats aggresivly. And people need to realise that golf is your game, not others. You dont try imitate other swings, you use what works. When a manager or something says "dont try match him or dont try beat him" My reply is " ok then shall i forfeit now?" Always try beat your opponents. =D

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭WillyWonka

I am 17 years old and started golf when i was 10. I was given a 35 handicapp. I was off 30 the next week then 28 the following.

Over the past 5 years my game has jsut hit a high, every year i get better and better.

Of course there was times where i went abck out or whatever, but I think 17 years of age, much to learn thats an impressive read, I never get daunted by people saying how i should be lower or they are lower. I know for a fat i should be lwoer cause im a good player, but it shows golf progression that a 17yr old is not happy with 10 =D

My way of playing is that I play my way, and thats aggresivly. And people need to realise that golf is your game, not others. You dont try imitate other swings, you use what works. When a manager or something says "dont try match him or dont try beat him" My reply is " ok then shall i forfeit now?" Always try beat your opponents. =D
    I think that approach will only lead to disappointment, if you're attitude is always try to beat your opponent then how can you ever be happy unless you're world No. 1???

Play your best...you can't do any better than that!

Well point being is, as with soccer too, if I'm randomly selected to play someone of say scratch, im nt going out saying "**** im screwed" Point im making is you should always be positive and believe that you can beat someone regardless of handicapps. You play your best golf in matchply i feel. You do things you wouldnt normally do, play shots you normally wouldnt, take more risks. That why i think matchplay is gr8 =D

Well point being is, as with soccer too, if I'm randomly selected to play someone of say scratch, im nt going out saying "**** im screwed" Point im making is you should always be positive and believe that you can beat someone regardless of handicapps. You play your best golf in matchply i feel. You do things you wouldnt normally do, play shots you normally wouldnt, take more risks. That why i think matchplay is gr8 =D

There is nothing wrong with being competitive. When i go round on a saturday and sunday playing with strangers or people i know im a nice guy and very talkitive, but in my mind i know that first of all to win i must beat the guys im playin with, its simple logic =D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Halo

im 17 aswell! get cut 13 shots in 4 weeks, then come back to me:cool:

Halo wrote:
    im 17 aswell! get cut 13 shots in 4 weeks, then come back to me:cool:

LOL...........classic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 910 ✭✭✭rick_fantastic

im 22 and im only back playing 3months. official gui handicap is 18, but im playing to about 10 atm.

played a lot as a junior and played pitch and putt for last 4 yrs. driving consistency isnt great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Dman_15

7.4 to be exact
    I'm 21 and was off 5 when i was 16
    then beer and stuff and college got in the way and i've hovered from 6-7-8-7-8 etc for the past 5 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭X-Calibre

Im 19 and I play off 6. Tbh I should be lower though. I went back up from 4 last summer purely because I was lazy. Plans to get down to 3 next summer. A bit of dedication and I should get there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭celica140bhp

I'm currently off 7.3 (I think) but had it down to 6.7 and then I got married and had kids......and I've been picking up .1 every now and again since. Hopefully get it down to 5 or better and then I'll be happy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

this is how my handicap has fallen, started on 12,
    then 9 then 7 then 6 then 5.
    Havn't played in ages but was going round on pretty much scratch. Won loads of pretty clothes and bags :)
    My first round ever was 7 over but it took me a year to equal that again. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭cabla

im a 27 but i play to about a 20. weird!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I'm a six handicapper.
    I dont have the dedication to get down to a lower handicap.
    I live beside the course but to play off less than 6 you need to be playing regularly and practice your short game alot.
    My short game is the worst part of my game.
    If my short game was as good as the rest of my game I'd be a scratch golfer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Dman_15

I'm a six handicapper.
    I dont have the dedication to get down to a lower handicap.
    I live beside the course but to play off less than 6 you need to be playing regularly and practice your short game alot.
    My short game is the worst part of my game.
    If my short game was as good as the rest of my game I'd be a scratch golfer.

Agreed,
    I play once or twice a month and always find i struggle to get up and down. I still play to my HC but the short game is where to make shots when you get low

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭johnny_rambo

I'm 24 and playing off scratch. Was off +1 at the start of the year and fully intend on getting back to that handicap! Its tough though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Grad

20 and I'm improving :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭X-Calibre

I'm 24 and playing off scratch. Was off +1 at the start of the year and fully intend on getting back to that handicap! Its tough though!

Impressive Johnny! What club are you from? Do you play in any of the big scratch cups or in the West or East?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭johnny_rambo

X-Calibre wrote:
    Impressive Johnny! What club are you from? Do you play in any of the big scratch cups or in the West or East?

Hi X,
    Yeah I've played the big comps (west,east,south,close etc.) and scratch cups since I was about 18. The competition is always very good and its good craic playing in them!

Have you played in any of the big events or scratch cups?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

I'm taking a break from golf, playing crap.

Started, 24 within a couple of months, 18 end of first 6 months, then down to 14 a year later.

My game has totally left me. Took lessons to get sorted, worse than ever now, feel like crying !
    Lucky to go around playing to 24 now again, even though officially it's 15, which is terrible when your graph is going one direction, and then does an about turn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭mikeruurds

I played a lot with my dad when I was about 12... just social hacking about. I've just picked up a club for the first time in 16 years and I'm trying to get back into the game.

I polled 24+ as I have absolutely no idea what my handicap is (other than golf of course).

I look forward to unwrapping my new set that should be arriving any day now :)

Best of luck to you, my adive is its not how hard or fast you swing or hit the ball ,its the crisp contact you get. Start of swinging at different speeds, you fastest being a 10 and slowest being a 1 and see which gives you most consistancy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

5.6.... the worst 6 handicapper in Leinster.....make that Ireland

The bantams tip...

Let the clubhead do it for you... release it... past your hands... don't hang on and try to bull it.... swwwwish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭mikeruurds

Best of luck to you, my adive is its not how hard or fast you swing or hit the ball ,its the crisp contact you get. Start of swinging at different speeds, you fastest being a 10 and slowest being a 1 and see which gives you most consistancy.

Thanks DM & Bantam :) My Ram Wizard II's arrived today... not exactly Callaway's but great for a beginner!

Off to Peamount in the morning to find my optimal swing :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Niall09

im 14 years of age. i started at 50 handicap 5 years ago. i am off 7 now.

Niall09 wrote:
    im 14 years of age. i started at 50 handicap 5 years ago. i am off 7 now.

Well done, but 50 was not a real handicap.

What was your first official handicap??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭madds

Played off 7 when I was 20-ish but was away from the game for ~8 years or so due to football involvement. Back playing regular this year and have lost 2 shots .

If I can go more for accuracy off the tee than distance, I should come down another couple of shots next year as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

was cut to 15 back in the summer, from 18, problem now is i can't play 18 holes nevermind a handicap :)

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Niall09

slumped wrote:
    Well done, but 50 was not a real handicap.

What was your first official handicap??

well 50 was my first handicap as a junior. i got a gui card wen i got down to 18.

Advertisement