Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was the music in the 80's Inter Cert Music?

Options
  • 06-10-2005 12:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Howdy!

I've been racking me brains for days over this one, but what was all the music on the Inter Cert music course in the early Eighties. I can remember the following...

Kodaly: Suite from Hary Janos
    Debussy: Some (2?) of the Nocturnes
    Bach: Fugue in G minor (is this also the 'little' fugue??)

After that I draw a blank, any ideas folks?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Ravel: Mother Goose Suite
    Bach: Suite in D Major
    Schubert - Piano Quintet (in Am I think) "The Trout".

There were two others but I cannot remember what they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭willows

bramhs academic overture ?

stravinsky fire bird or was the 84 leaving

Cheers
    Sean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 komputamuso

Nah, too late I'm afraid, I did my Inter Cert in 1980 (argh!)

Anyone any ideas?

Cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Karlpopper

I've got four of the pieces:
    Bach: Fugue in G Minor,
    Brahms: Academic Festival Overture,
    Debussy: Nocturnes (Nuages and Fetes),
    Kodaly: Hary Janos Suite.
    There was a fifth but it escapes me. Anyone know the fifth?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dlouth15

I don't know whether it was on the official curriculum but I remember Saint-Saëns' Carnival of the Animals, Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture and Bizets C major symphony being played. Oh yes, also Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exihibition.

• Advertisement

I think you have it, I'm 90% sure it's Bizet's Symphony in C, and in particular the first movement, the Allegro Vivo.
    He wrote the Symphony just after he turned 17 according to the Wilipedia entry for the work, some talent.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭picturehangup

Hi,

Yes, I remember the final piece in the Jigsaw, Karlpopper. I heard it on Lyric FM the other day! And recognised it instantly!
    It was George Bizet: Symphony in C major, first movement.
    We had a most wonderful music teacher. I particularly loved the Bach Little Fugue. That was my personal favorite.

picturehangup

Hi,

Yes, I remember the final piece in the Jigsaw, Karlpopper. I heard it on Lyric FM the other day! And recognised it instantly!
    It was George Bizet: Symphony in C major, first movement.
    We had a most wonderful music teacher. I particularly loved the Bach Little Fugue. That was my personal favorite.

picturehangup
    Thanks, picturehangup. I guess that wraps it up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 hydr

I can remember the Trout quintet and i think bach's suite no 3 in D major. There was mendelsson - was it hebrids?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

I did the inter in 1989 and Mendelssohn's Hebrides Overture was definitely on it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 patjackman

Ha! I posted the original post! Different username, different decade! Eight years to find the answer! :) Cheers, Karlpopper!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,299 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Gas. The 80's inter cert in more interesting, more challenging, more difficult, and more rewarding than the current leaving cert. you actually had to know the subject...

Same for all subjects, I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 maireadcurtin

Heard the Hary Janos Suite this morning - I think for the first time since Inter Cert music in 1979. I knew every twist and turn but had no idea of the composer or the name of the piece. Debussy, Bach, in the hall of the mountain king, carnival of the animals all transport me back to a basement classroom in Loreto Wexford with the Reverend Mother and a tiny tape machine...

Advertisement