Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor vs 3

• 06-10-2005 12:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭

Possibly on odd question, but I may find that the novelty of videos and other 3G stuff would wear off quickly, and I would be back to scruitinisg the cost of voice/text calls.

Im on Vodafone Perfect Fit 100 atm, and I reckon I can get better value someplace else. A new phone is not really that important, so I was looking at Meteor. The Meteor "200" options (bill pay) looks a good deal, so I can keep my number with that.

Now that 3 is offering porting though, I could pick up the NEC phone + choose the Video&Text200 tariff for a total of €65. I hear good things from the 3 thread about their service etc.

So, when it comes down to voice & text calls, who offers the most bang per buck? Are Meteor still troublesome with reception, or is that just stigma of the past?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Meteor is piggybacking off the o2 network so coverage isnt a problem anymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I was in a similar situation. I was a Vodafone Perfect Fit 100 customer, with a text add-on giving me a minimum bill of E38 per month. (and I was regularly paying ~E45, mainly due to texts)

I checked out 3, as their equivalent package was a full E13 cheaper, but I would have had to buy a new 3G phone, and I just didn't like any of the models on offer.

So I checked out Meteor. I got the Nokia 6101 for E29, and am on their talk 60 package for E20. (I had a Motorola V525 on Vodafone, and after that I swore blind that I was never buying a phone other than a Nokia ever again). There aren't a lot of texts included, but their texts are 9c in comparison to Vodafone's 13c. I'm going to stick at this tariff for a month or two to see how it suits me. The phone is fantastic and reception with Meteor has been excellent. I'm also hopeful that since the takeover that they get more competitive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭6ix

I'm on the E40 Meteor package. Is a good deal with 200 minutes (plus I got in while you got free meteor-meteor texts until 2006).

You also can now purchase add-ons with Meteor (similar to O2) for 7.50 each. The add-ons available are:

- 150 texts for (5c texts) or

- 250 evening&weekend minutes to Meteor and landlines. (3c/minute).

Overall, I'm very happy so far!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

3 are better value.

If you look at Meteor's €40 Talk 200 option you get 200 minutes of calls and 60SMS for €40.

For someone on 3's VideoTalk 200 option to make 200 minutes worth of calls and send 60SMS it would cost them €30.40 because VideoTalk200 costs €25 per month while to send 60SMS on that tariff costs €5.40 based on the fact that it's 9cent per text, totalling €30.40. That's a saving of €9.60 over what Meteor Talk200 customers pay.

Yes, Meteor offer free calls to voicemail - but to be honest just how much of a saving can anyone make for calls to voicemail? €1 or 2 at most since no one calls their voicemail to actually have a conversation...

There is also a false economy on 3's VideoTalk 400 option (€45 per month) if you choose 200minutes and 200SMS. If you look at how much it would cost someone on VideoTalk200 to make 200 minutes worth of calls and send 200SMS the 200 minutes is included on the €25 rental charge while to send another 200SMS costs €18 on top of the €25 bringing it to €43 for 200 minutes and 200 text - effectively cheaper than a VideoTalk400 customer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

6ix wrote:
    I'm on the E40 Meteor package. Is a good deal with 200 minutes (plus I got in while you got free meteor-meteor texts until 2006).

You also can now purchase add-ons with Meteor (similar to O2) for 7.50 each. The add-ons available are:

- 150 texts for (5c texts) or

- 250 evening&weekend minutes to Meteor and landlines. (3c/minute).

Overall, I'm very happy so far!
    damn thats cheap all vodafone offers is a 100 for €8 (8c per text) and 200 for €12 (6c per text)

• Advertisement

Sarge wrote:
    Meteor is piggybacking off the o2 network so coverage isnt a problem anymore
    not everywhere.
    In fact only in a few places.
    So their coverage is bad in many places still.
    they wont tell you that though.

Try log onto O2 with a meteor sim on the Coast road from Gorey to wexford and you will get a pfo message for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I thought it was just the west coast of Ireland that they had the agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Baldie

Im on the €20 meteor package with the free meteor to meteor texts untill the end of the year as well. I have a free texts for life sim on stand by for when the package runs out.... :D My bill is in and around €45 to €50 a month so it's ok.

The reception can be dodgy at times but other then that it's grand.

Advertisement