Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

'Tis a bit quiet in here.

• 06-10-2005 2:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭

Just to spur on some activity, what is everybody been up to lately?

I'm working on a screenplay at the moment and preparing my ever belated shoot for my short. Also, I bought a circular-polarizer for my cam along with some bits and bobs.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

just finished making one short movie for uni...have 5 more before christmas...wasnt too happy with the one i just made...its a bit rough, but the guideline was to make the piece and edit it within 24 hours...so meh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

It's all experience :) Got any work online for me to disect, Blitz?

nope...nowhere to upload it...smallest file i have is about 60megs (i think) and thats my 16mm from last year. best part of which was the soundtrack my friend made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I've resigned from my position as TV manager at COMET.

COMET is also going to get an name change soon too.

I'll still be involved in it, and now I actually have more time to shoot my own stuff. I'll be meeting with some actors at some stage this week to go over a script I want to shoot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

I'm just finishing up my thesis @ the moment, the topic is Zombie Horror Films :)

Gonna be scheduling a couple of shorts for the next few w/e's too -- it's good to be keeping busy!

• Advertisement

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    nope...nowhere to upload it...smallest file i have is about 60megs (i think) and thats my 16mm from last year. best part of which was the soundtrack my friend made.

Upload it to yousendit.com :)

I've resigned from my position as TV manager at COMET.

COMET is also going to get an name change soon too.

I'll still be involved in it, and now I actually have more time to shoot my own stuff. I'll be meeting with some actors at some stage this week to go over a script I want to shoot.

Sounds great - Is it a short you are shooting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Yep... it's a short.

It should work out at about 8 minutes.

Very simple piece, but it might require some clever editing.

Yep... it's a short.

It should work out at about 8 minutes.

Very simple piece, but it might require some clever editing.

Great, good luck with it!

TCamen wrote:
    I'm just finishing up my thesis @ the moment, the topic is Zombie Horror Films :)

Gonna be scheduling a couple of shorts for the next few w/e's too -- it's good to be keeping busy!

Sounds good, are you shooting or writing the shorts?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

I've got a few editing jobs on the go at the moment. Not the most exciting pieces but at least it's money.

I have an editor coming in to start work on my first short on the 17th. Looking forward to that. Hopefully it'll be on Shortscreen in the New Year.

I'm also working on a short comedy script with another writer.

For once in my life I'm busy doing things I enjoy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Was working on a production up in Galway for a few days this week and last. So now back to my regular job. :( I much prefer my irregular ones though.

Larianne, if you're ever interested in doing some collab work, talk to me at the next beers :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

dlofnep wrote:
    Larianne, if you're ever interested in doing some collab work, talk to me at the next beers :)

I'm sure I'll see ya at the Waterford Beers. ;)

Indeed you shall :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

I'm still working away in London. Just bee on a two week training course in Evesham (Wood Norton) called "Post Production Consilidation" did some editing there, an atomic Kitten Interview, an insert for a Holiday programme and a scene from "Out of the Blue". Also we did a studio excercise on Thursday, where we had to run CBBC for an afternoon, each group rotating jobs, that was interesting.

Back to work tomorrow, probably go straight back to copying tapes :) Start on an attachment with the Childrens department, looking after their Avid Unity, Digitising, doing play-in's for Exchange etc. Things are going alright.

John

Sounds great Lump!

And I got a payrise last week :) Wooo! Who'd have thought going to college would pay off ;)

john

Sounds good, are you shooting or writing the shorts?

Heya, the next two we're doing I haven't written, but I've a short in mind that I just need to script and then hopefully we'll do that in late October/early November.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

TCamen wrote:
    I've a short in mind that I just need to script and then hopefully we'll do that in late October/early November.

You're writing it at the moment and are planning to shoot in late October/early November?

Is it just me or does that seem really quick to write, prep and shoot a short?

• Advertisement

Yes, it is. In my opinion of course

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

Lump wrote:
    Yes, it is. In my opinion of course

John

Well it depends on the number of sets, locations, actors, and the overall ambition of the production.

It all takes planning.... :) Yea, i get what you're saying. But writing the script, and re-writing should take a fairly large portion.

John

Lump wrote:
    It all takes planning.... :) Yea, i get what you're saying. But writing the script, and re-writing should take a fairly large portion.

John

Actually it's more if it's just some blokes with a mini dv camera, trying out what they know or think they know, then two months planning is just too long.

Thats not to be said everything shouldn't be planned.

I saw one of Connor Mc Mahon's student shorts eight years ago, complete trash but the coverage and story boarding was impecable, very creative very visual. If this is a learning project then fine, grab a camera and go nuts.

But writing the script, and re-writing should take a fairly large portion.

i just got slapped by this. a 12 minute peice i'm making this year has to be completly rewritten over the next few weeks (took me best part of summer to write original) new scenes added, old scenes cut. some characters cut, others change sex. *sigh*

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    . some characters cut, others change sex. *sigh*

I've a funny story involving pigeons getting turned into a cat due to script "limitations" (pigeons escaped, ever tried to find a place to buy pigeons on a bank holiday monday in Arklow?)

Apparently for a number of years it was told as introduction to film students in ballyfermot on their first day in a "when things go wrong, boy, they really go wrong" ancedote.

Is it just me or does that seem really quick to write, prep and shoot a short?

It's really a short short, like 2-3mins with no dialogue and only 2 actors. I've worked on it last summer during a film course, but it wasn't chosen to be made then, so I have the storyboard and photostills of each setup all done already (during the course last year) -- not much has changed. It's really just a shooting script that has to be put together. God, it sounds so artsy and irritating -- no dialogue and 2 actors :D

But yeah, since I've been so busy with other stuff, it's not looking like it'll happen as soon as I'd hoped. :)

Advertisement