Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Language and Apache

Options
  • 06-10-2005 5:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭

Hi there

We have a number of files linked from one of our servers which have fadas in the names. The problem we have is that in IE 6 they will not load. We get a 404 error in the server logs. But it works perfectly in Firefox. We don't want to rename these files so what do we do to sort it?

The server is Debian 3.1 with Apache 1.3.33.

My techy sent me this...
    From the logs, it looks like user agents are handling the Latin1 characters in urls differently...
    * MSIE 6.0, Opera, and Googlebot look like they convert into UTF8 and then urlencode the UTF 8 (focl%C3%B3ir)... 404.
    * MSIE 6.1 is doing something that shows up as focl\xef\xbf\xb3ir in the logs, and 404
    * Firefox (and MSIE 4.0, funny enough, none of this UTF cleverness) convert it into urlencoded form(focl%F3ir) as above and get the file OK

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

urlencoding the links to the files should solve this, is it possible to do that or are they linking to each other?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

The files are standalone links so it's not a big problem in that respect. The concern I have is that when the site users add their own files they won't work and we'll have keep fixing the links. We can write a script that changes the links but I was hoping for some way to do this without having to change the file links at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I don't think you should do this on the (far) server-side tbh, because it's a client-side problem and even if you fix it for one browser - with RewriteRules for example, and pretty awkward ones at that - you may miss others. I'd seriously consider rewriting the file names on upload (if you have control over that process), or urlencoding links on posting, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

meglome wrote:
    The files are standalone links so it's not a big problem in that respect. The concern I have is that when the site users add their own files they won't work and we'll have keep fixing the links. We can write a script that changes the links but I was hoping for some way to do this without having to change the file links at all.

Is it really that important that files should retain the same name when uploaded? I think writing the script would save you a lot more hassle in the long run, especially if you are already finding yourself renaming uploaded content.

Advertisement