Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Converting gas fireplace to open fireplace

Options
  • 06-10-2005 9:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

I have a gas-ready fireplace (no gas fire installed yet). Was hoping to just have an open fire. Any ideas what's involved in converting the fireplace?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Presumably the back of the chimney is just a large cavernous hole which you could nearly crawl into.
    For open fires, you have to have a fireback installed.

"Gas ready" simply means "we did nothing"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 colmoc

The fire has one of those heat-reflecting backs on it so I can't really see properly into and up the chimney. I'll have a closer look when I get home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭dools

Not too sure of the ins and outs of the actual fire/chimney, but I do know that if you are having an open fire, the hearth (stone slab at the front) has to be in at least 2 pieces. If you have one solid piece of say, marble or granite, this will crack/split with the heat of an open fire.

A friend of mine is having an open fire in his new home and was told the hearth has to be in 2 pieces. We also got a new fireplace about a month ago and intend to leave it as is - no gas fire nor open fire (we have the rads working off the gas). He put in one piece of slate for the hearth and told us that can't have an open fire (if we change our minds) unsless we change the hearth to one made up of 2 pieces.

Hope this makes sense - just something to be aware of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

Ditto on what "Dools" said, also make sure the fire place, flues and general construction was designed and built to suit for an open fire.

There is a big difference between hot heavy smoke and gas fumes, you might (just might) have to upgrade your flue to suit an open fire.

The existing fire back is only suited to gas so that will have to be replaced to begin with, also there is a gas supply to take into account.

You might be better advised to have the fireplace and chimney inspected before you start spending your hard earned cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭Uuuh Patsy

colmoc wrote:
    I have a gas-ready fireplace (no gas fire installed yet). Was hoping to just have an open fire. Any ideas what's involved in converting the fireplace?

Hi Colmoc. Did you get this finished in the end. I want to get identical job done and would love to know how you went about it. Did you DIY it or get someone in. How much did it cost?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Pocari Sweat

Uuuh Patsy wrote:
    Hi Colmoc. Did you get this finished in the end. I want to get identical job done and would love to know how you went about it. Did you DIY it or get someone in. How much did it cost?

The main thing to look for when going from gas to an open fire is take into account a mad range of factors before attempting it.

Firstly if the original set up was for gas, then you will probably have to do a lot of modifications to allow for the greater loss of heat from an open fire which will affect the structure of the chimney.

Gas is simple to install because it is efficient at providing heat into the room and only loses half of its heat via the flue.

An open coal fire will lose 80% of its heat up the chimney and this puts great thermal stresses on the structure if it was not built for it.

Firstly if there is no flue gatherer which is a large suspended concrete plinth built into the chimney breast above the open fire to support a series of round clay flue liners that protects the chimney breast structure immediately above the heat source for a metre or so above the fire, then this will be a bit of a construction job.

Then if a surveyor inspects your chimney stack higher up and there is signs of any cracks, then an addition twin skin flexible flue liner may be needed and if you factor in around 100 euros for every metre of this over say 6 metres, that is another big cost, plus fitting it, and pouring in the sand etc.

There are gas fires that have an open look effect with authentic looking coals and gas fires although sometimes dear in the showrooms at up to 2,000 or 3,000 fitted can be bought at a fraction of the cost for around 450 euros for a made to measure unit up to 22 inches wide direct from the factories, compared to the standard 16" ones that go for over a thousand in the showrooms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭Uuuh Patsy

My house is 3 years old and as far as I know the construction allows for either open or gas. The only modification I think is required would be the marble surround on the floor which is in one piece.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

as kadman said earlier ,make sure the firebrick is not ceramic.

Brian.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Vmaxer

I am also considering getting the gas (coal effect) fire removed and setting the fireplace up for a real coal fire, where do You start and does the gas pipe coming from the centre of the grate have to be removed completley or just disconnected. When i look up the chimney there seems to be a large square clay piece going into round clay tubing as far as i can see. The fireplace itself came with a heat reflector which I hope is suitable for an open fire, when I look above this heat reflector with a torch there seems to be a ledge which is heaped up with bird crap and dust is this normal? Just wondering if anybody has converted back to coal and if its an expensive process. Where do Ya start?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

Dont want to rain on anyones party here but in the context of enegy conservation etc and the forthcoming energy ratings of houses, open fire places will become less attractive due to the amount of heat they suck out of the house.

One proposal will be to fit virtually airtight dampers that can be opened and closed, so if u are getting any surgery done consider the damper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,426 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Gas is simple to install because it is efficient at providing heat into the room and only loses half of its heat via the flue.

I wasn't aware that 50% passed or efficient these days. I would of set the bar a little higher but, i guess i'm a perfectionist. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Ecotop

Check out www.woodpelletstoves.ie or www.ecosmartfire.com for a fantastic range of bioethanol fires.I bought one in November and my living room was never cosyer. Was thinking about one for the conservatory.Best thing is that all the heat stays in the room since there is no flue and no cleaning out.Great Job!!

Advertisement