Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post

Options
  • 06-10-2005 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭

Given that the government owns this company lock, stock and barrell, I find it a bit stupid Bertie saying that the government isn't going to sort out there problems for them.

This company is the biggest joke in the country, I wish to God Michael O'Leary fancied a crack at this business.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Culchie wrote:
    This company is the biggest joke in the country, I wish to God Michael O'Leary fancied a crack at this business.

If he did the one post box for "Dublin" would be just out side Naas, and you would have to print your own stamps off the internet (with passport ID when ever you posted the letter of course) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭LizardKing

I thought An Post was Semi - State ... anyways I think the current problems and the staff being balloted for strike action is due to the fact they have not been given there promised wage increases for over a year (or more) and the company are trying to get away with backdating the payments .. Also An Post are bringing in lots of Casual Staff who work on much lower wages than the permamnent staff, I think they might be trying to do an "Irish Ferries" with the company ...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

LizardKing wrote:
    I thought An Post was Semi - State ... anyways I think the current problems and the staff being balloted for strike action is due to the fact they have not been given there promised wage increases for over a year (or more) and the company are trying to get away with backdating the payments .. Also An Post are bringing in lots of Casual Staff who work on much lower wages than the permamnent staff, I think they might be trying to do an "Irish Ferries" with the company ...

Would anyone notice if they went on strike?

Didn't the Labour court say that they didn't deserve their wage increase, as they hadn't implemented productivity changes?

Wicknight wrote:
    If he did the one post box for "Dublin" would be just out side Naas, and you would have to print your own stamps off the internet (with passport ID when ever you posted the letter of course) :D

Why shouldn't we print our own stamps off the internet? If we had an account like a mobile phone account and got billed that way, or have our own barcoded envelopes that get scanned at the sorting office and billed to our phone, invoiced to us or whatever?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Culchie wrote:
    Why shouldn't we print our own stamps off the internet? If we had an account like a mobile phone account and got billed that way, or have our own barcoded envelopes that get scanned at the sorting office and billed to our phone, invoiced to us or whatever?
    In Germany, you can! It's called "Stampit Web" and you can read all about it (in German, of course!) on www.deutschepost.de under the Online Services section.

• Advertisement

I think people would notice a strike yes ... not sure what the Labour court decided but I think if I was promised a certain amount as part of a wage review and over a year later I still did not get anything I would be a little peeved , it's hardly the actions of a company trying to improve staff morale / productivity ...

LizardKing wrote:
    I think people would notice a strike yes ... not sure what the Labour court decided but I think if I was promised a certain amount as part of a wage review and over a year later I still did not get anything I would be a little peeved , it's hardly the actions of a company trying to improve staff morale / productivity ...

Improve morale .... these fellahs are laughing all the way to the bank already !

As for productivity, without being flippant, which I'm tempted to be, having the 'pleasure' of dealing with An Post very regularily, I'll stick to the facts.

They are supposed to have next day delivery of 92% which is European Standard, they have 66%

Alun wrote:
    In Germany, you can! It's called "Stampit Web" and you can read all about it (in German, of course!) on www.deutschepost.de under the Online Services section.

Darn, there goes my patent :(

Just shows you how far behind An Post is.

The latest product brought out by An Post I think was the wet sponge you use to moisten your stamps.

Culchie you obviously have a chip on your shoulder with regard to An Post , As far as I know they have tried to bring in new technologies and keep up with other Postal services around europe ... It is harder for An Post as they are a minnow compared to the Bigger postal services like DeutschePost...

I agree the service could / should be improved but I think they need to sort out there staff issues etc.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Culchie wrote:
    Darn, there goes my patent :(

Just shows you how far behind An Post is.

This would serve a fraction of their user base - lets remember that not everybody has internet access or printing facilities. buying a book of stamps in the supermarket is just as easy. For An Post to divert resources away from their core business and into this sort of development would be wasteful. Let them get the delivery system up to scratch first.

• Advertisement

LizardKing wrote:
    Culchie you obviously have a chip on your shoulder with regard to An Post , As far as I know they have tried to bring in new technologies and keep up with other Postal services around europe ... It is harder for An Post as they are a minnow compared to the Bigger postal services like DeutschePost...

I agree the service could / should be improved but I think they need to sort out there staff issues etc.

'Chip on Shoulder' .... No.

Sick of paying through the nose for a delivery service that is terrible ... Yes

Now they want to raise delivery of a parcel from €0.80 to €2.00 each :mad: Slightly peed off there as well :rolleyes:

parsi wrote:
    This would serve a fraction of their user base - lets remember that not everybody has internet access or printing facilities. buying a book of stamps in the supermarket is just as easy. For An Post to divert resources away from their core business and into this sort of development would be wasteful. Let them get the delivery system up to scratch first.

wtf ?

A company like pigsback or similar internet marketing company with barcode/internet voucher/stamp facility could have something like this up and running in a week.

Not everyone has internet access, but most households do at this stage as we talk now, and increasing at a rapid rate.

I'm all for the Post Office offering it's social service as well.

Culchie wrote:
    wtf ?

A company like pigsback or similar internet marketing company with barcode/internet voucher/stamp facility could have something like this up and running in a week.

Not everyone has internet access, but most households do at this stage as we talk now, and increasing at a rapid rate.
    QUOTE]

http://www.cso.ie/statistics/pcnetaccessbyprovcountycity2002.htm

2002 Stats but they suggest that 435K households had internet access with 814K not having it.

But in the scheme of things being able to print off a stamp is not exactly at the top of the "things we want An Post to do". Such a facility isn't going to add greatly to the bottom line for AN Post so they may as well use their scarce resources elsewhere.

parsi wrote:
    Culchie wrote:
    wtf ?

QUOTE]

http://www.cso.ie/statistics/pcnetaccessbyprovcountycity2002.htm

2002 Stats but they suggest that 435K households had internet access with 814K not having it.

But in the scheme of things being able to print off a stamp is not exactly at the top of the "things we want An Post to do". Such a facility isn't going to add greatly to the bottom line for AN Post so they may as well use their scarce resources elsewhere.

2002 !

I'd bet my bottom dollar then that there is now more with internet access, than those without, if that is the case.

I can't believe what I'm hearing, why wouldn't a simple barcoding type scanning device or wahtever (you get my drift) not add to the bottom line of An Post?

They could cut hundreds of jobs ....... scarce resources ????

An Post needs taking on Head On, pay the people a fair and generous redundancy .... and get on with putting in place a credible service, otherwise open it up to competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

LizardKing wrote:
    As far as I know they have tried to bring in new technologies and keep up with other Postal services around europe ...

Yeah, like the new machine they installed in the sorting office which would imporve productivity. Oh, no wait, they went on strike over that. What was the reason? Oh yeah, 'cos it improved productivity.:rolleyes:

Why do we not have postcodes? That would imporve productivity. Is it true that the introduction of postcodes is being blocked by the unions?

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Culchie wrote:
    An Post needs taking on Head On, pay the people a fair and generous redundancy .... and get on with putting in place a credible service, otherwise open it up to competition.
    Look at the experience of Royal Mail. Opening it up to competition will result in little interest from UPS/DHL/FedEx etc. for the letter business. They might bite at parcels and letters between the larger towns, but you can forget about rural letterpost continuing under a privatised system....and I'm guessing by your username that that would be a problem for you! An Post's business wouldn't be attractive to most private businesses in reality. They know this and are focussing on other aspects of their business that can make money, like passport express and the deal they have with AIB. That's where the money lies for them, not in delivering letters unfortunately and the oul internet & email can take the blame/thanks for that.

MrPudding wrote:
    Why do we not have postcodes? That would imporve productivity. Is it true that the introduction of postcodes is being blocked by the unions?
    No, AnPost themselves have resisted post codes because they bought some very expensive machines that can use modern OCR to 'read' addresses in full and basically don't need postcodes. It's the likes of UPS etc. that really want them introduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

I think credit unions getting paypath will make post offices redundant to many social welfare recipiants.

In the UK - you can renew motor tax at your local post office. In Ireland - post offices were there to buy a couple of stamps, postal orders etc.

People are posting less today anyway. Phone costs and texting have simply reduced people writing letters.

You cannot turn back the tide. But Post Offices could be used as "One Stop Shops", Citizen Information Centres etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭moshpit77

I believe the unions at An Post actually support the introduction of post codes

The company doesn't want them because they say a) they don't need them because their system recognises addresses and b) they'll benefit the competition

The main cause of the deterioration in next day delivery is the fact that An Post have introduced this 'hub' system whereby, say, you post a letter in Kilrush, County Clare addressed to Kilkee, County Clare.. it gets put in the back of a van, sent to Cork Mail Centre, queued for sorting through a machine which at the moment can't handle the volumes going through it, and then sent all the way back up to Kilkee for delivery. Before, it would have been sorted at Kilrush and straight to the Kilkee postman next morning. Now it'd be lucky to get next week delivery because the mail is building up at these hubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

There are a number of things that cannot be privatised without a drop in service and social cost.
    I am not saying this from an ideological perspective, more from experience watching the exact same mistakes being made in this country as another country which lead the world in privatising.
    As far as I am concerned the main ones that need state support are: Mail, Hospitals/healthcare,and Power generation/energy.
    Without all of these functioning correctly and efficiently the country doesn't run properly.
    New Zealand tried to privatise the Postal System and a few companies picked the ball up and tried to run with it.
    No good, all of them found that it was a far more complex system than they had thought.
    All of them folded in a relatively short time.
    I would hate to see the same thing happen here, An post do an admirable job IMHO every time I get a letter to the PO before the van goes to the sort office, it is there the next day.
    I have no complaints, although the mail is slow now I am not surprised given the imminent strike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

CJhaughey wrote:
    As far as I am concerned the main ones that need state support are: Mail, Hospitals/healthcare,and Power generation/energy.
    Without all of these functioning correctly and efficiently the country doesn't run properly.

All three in Switzerland are, as far as I'm aware, privatised.

Guess Switzerland doesn't run as well as Ireland then....although you'd never know by comparing how much better things are in these particular regards.

Oh - I should mention that the rail system is also somewhat privatised....and its clearly inferior and sysfunctional compared to the Irish system as well.

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Essential services should never be thrown into the lion's den that is capitalism, it's only cutthroat economics and it is you the consumer that will suffer. An Post should be given a major cash Injection and reopen several of the post offices that are now closed. The same thing can be said for our railways, the branch lines should be reopened and have proper commuter services to metropolitan areas. Private industry and Capitalism will never work and it only wrecking the environment and creating misery for millions worldwide. Then again i guess if the government gave An post millions wouldn't the EU/4th Reich, Fine Ireland for a breach of “free competition"

netwhizkid wrote:
    An Post should be given a major cash Injection and reopen several of the post offices that are now closed

Throwing money at An Post - would solve the mess of an inefficent public sector company.

An post expect the public to bail them out through higher postage charges.

If private companies can do this more efficently - then why not.

Postal Monopolies are abd news. The price increases imposed by the regulator recently were crazy.

What business can you do at a post office - buying a couple of stamps.

Could somebody drag this company out of the darkages?

Cork wrote:
    What business can you do at a post office - buying a couple of stamps.
    That's not entirely fair Cork. I use the banking services they provide on behalf of AIB because there are far more PO's in D15 than branches of AIB and the queues are always shorter at my local PO (60 secs walk) than at AIB Blanchardstown (25 mins walk). I'm not the only one I see using their banking services either.

They offer some good services, passport express being one that I've used myself. Their billpay service is also very handy for lots of people, when I had an MBNA credit card it was easy to be able to pay it at the PO.

I'm sure they could add value to their business and slim down a bit (isn't that what all the fuss was about at SDS?). I think, all in all the service provided by An Post isn't too bad. The experience over the water has seen Royal Mail go downhill a lot (second deliveries ceased) in recent years.

Room for improvement sure, but it could be a lot worse.

murphaph wrote:

Room for improvement sure, but it could be a lot worse.

I think credit unions now having pay path will reduce the amount of socail welfare payments that will go to post offices.

An Post have a good network of offices and AIB saw opportunity in this.

But An Post themselves seem to be hapless. What plans do they have?

I think it is fantastic that OAPs have nolonger to queue at post offices each week.

Why have post offices not become "One Stop Shops" - they cannot continue on their current path.

If they cannot become relevent then the will be redundant.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

If I was to suggest several things that should be done at PO's they would be:(in no particular order)
    Able to process payments for Motor Tax and issue Discs.
    Have a better range of Packaging available(ie fold up cardboard boxes in a range of prepaid sizes ie CD/DVD etc.
    Operate their own bank instead of AIB.
    Sell Phone books etc.
    provide a wider range of services instore.
    These are all revenue generating lines and would help An Post.
    I still think that the Post Service especially in Rural Areas is brilliant, for many elderly people it is very reassuring to see the green van turn up every day, and the driver ask how they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭moshpit77

An Post looked into operating their own bank before they took AIB on board, I think they weren't allowed to for some reason

I agree that it's ridiculous thye don't sell envelopes, packaging, boxes etc

moshpit77 wrote:
    I agree that it's ridiculous thye don't sell envelopes, packaging, boxes etc
    My local PO does.

CJhaughey wrote:
    I still think that the Post Service especially in Rural Areas is brilliant, for many elderly people it is very reassuring to see the green van turn up every day, and the driver ask how they are.

Modern Day Ireland ignores these unquantifiable social benefits in favour of the "why should I pay for what I don't want right now?" brigade. They would argue the job of An Post is not to look in on elderly people and that other people should do that (preferably for free). They ignore that there isn't any State agency which will perform such a task. But then again todays decision makers know they will never be old or sick or rural and therefore don't feel the need to pay for it.

At the end of the day as a country we seem to want dead low taxes and a high level of public service. We don't want anything that can benefit others unless its at no extra cost to ourselves. This is along the lines of "why subsidise rural buses because I have a car ?" .

• Advertisement

parsi wrote:
    Modern Day Ireland ignores these unquantifiable social benefits in favour of the "why should I pay for what I don't want right now?" brigade.

Ryanair don't get state subsidys for flying between Cork & Dublin.

Irish Rail do.

Many OAPs avoid collecting benefits from their local post offices since paypath was introduded at their local credit unions.

The post offices don't have much social benefit.

Advertisement