Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

Are we now talking about a reliable delivery service now?

Have we moved on from the business enterprise (ha) that is presently An Post?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

some photos were posted to me from england on the 29th of september, I received them yesterday.... almost a full month!!

I have to say , whenever I get anything posted from the UK like parcels,I now get them by recorded post.
    It costs about a fiver sterling but its worth it.

I've had a lot lately from there and if its posted on a monday,I have it on a wenesday.

I know ordinary post should be that way too but, in the circumstances, ones gotta do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

Earthman wrote:
    I have to say , whenever I get anything posted from the UK like parcels,I now get them by recorded post.
    It costs about a fiver sterling but its worth it.

I've had a lot lately from there and if its posted on a monday,I have it on a wenesday.

I know ordinary post should be that way too but, in the circumstances, ones gotta do this.

Doesn't that just sum it all up.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

So, It looks as if that post services will hit a further low next week. It is going to hit many and the government should now liberalise the postal market.

That is the only thing that will force change onto an organisation like An Post.

The Public Service Unions won't like it but they had a good innings.

Threats and strikes by An Post highlight that organisations committment to the consumer.

Not alone are you left waiting weeks for post but now they decide to strike.

Insult to Injury.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Cork wrote:
    So, It looks as if that post services will hit a further low next week. It is going to hit many and the government should now liberalise the postal market.

That is the only thing that will force change onto an organisation like An Post.

So you're saying that it should be privatised ? how will this benefit us ? GLS offer a crap service and they are private. DHL have a surcharge if you live outside of the main centres and assuming they can find you.

Privitisation will mean that the profitable services will be held onto but no-one will deal with sending of letters from Beara to the Glenties.

Thats great for all the decison makers living in centres of population but bad for the rest of the country....

Once a company goes out of state control the universal service obligation gets harder to enforce.

On a side note - IBEC last week complained that the ESB were adding to the cost of electricity. They neglected to explain why the private sector isnt rushing in to provide cheaper electricity to us all...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭radioman

Cork wrote:

Threats and strikes by An Post highlight that organisations committment to the consumer.

Insult to Injury.

You might try to explain this sometime... ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭cal29

Cork wrote:

Insult to Injury.

Actually it highlights the fact that relatively low paid workers have not recieved what they were entitled to under the National Wage Agreement

Open up the market and see the private comapnies rushing in for the lucrative urban end of the market if you live in a rural area sorry your F***ed

I will do without my post till it is sorted out good luck to the men and women at An Post I hope it goes well for you. You have my complete support I honestly dont know why you have put up with it for so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I got three important letters from the US about 2 weeks ago. I was expecting them in July.

Amazon have sent me an email to tell me that a parcel they tried to send to me they could not be delivered. I was expecting it in September. When checking up on it, an-post sent it back as undelivable, but they never actually even brought it out to my house to be delivered nor did I get any letter from An Post saying to come pick it up.

Just to add that to that. Got tickets for some flight in my door which were in fact for a house around the corner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭damo605

Lets be realistic. An post is not a business, it's a government service - Postmen generally get paid for their route irregardless of the hours they work.... I know a postman and he starts work at 5:30am and usually finishes at 5:30pm - he could probably finish at lunch time if it wasn't for the fact that he checks on old people, brings the newspaper and maybe shopping to those that are house bound and a lot of stuff like that...
    I've often ordered stuff using parcel force and it was always late - sometimes weeks, often months, late... Tracking those items always showed it was delivered the day after it arrived in Ireland!
    We're all going to be old sooner or later and maybe our generation will still be able to do our banking, etc. online then but lets not sh!t on our elders now just 'cause we don't need the service they are getting from a less than perfect businnes model.

• Advertisement

damo605 wrote:
    We're all going to be old sooner or later and maybe our generation will still be able to do our banking, etc. online then but lets not sh!t on our elders now just 'cause we don't need the service they are getting from a less than perfect businnes model.

Then I'd prefer if taxpayers money was directed to looking after the elderly rather then someone else slacking on thier job.

If they can finish at lunchtime why then is it taking so long to deliver the stuff?

Hobbes wrote:
    Then I'd prefer if taxpayers money was directed to looking after the elderly rather then someone else slacking on thier job.

If they can finish at lunchtime why then is it taking so long to deliver the stuff?

I don't think you can accuse someone of slacking on their job if they are not being paid by the hour :rolleyes:
    Maybe it's taking so long to deliver the stuff 'cause they are going the extra mile and taking time to talk to isolated or lonely people who may not see another sole from one end of the day to another....

damo605 wrote:
    Maybe it's taking so long to deliver the stuff 'cause they are going the extra mile and taking time to talk to isolated or lonely people who may not see another sole from one end of the day to another....

My heart bleeds. I really wish I could use that excuse in work.

Prehaps they should join CARE or meals on wheels instead then and leave the job for someone who can actually deliver mail ontime.

Well - I don't think it's the postmen/women that are to blame if something doesn't get delivered on time as they only deliver what they get on a morning. F.ck it, I'm not a postman - me don't care..... Time for leaba, zzzzz!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

cal29 wrote:
    Actually it highlights the fact that relatively low paid workers have not recieved what they were entitled to under the National Wage Agreement

Open up the market and see the private comapnies rushing in for the lucrative urban end of the market if you live in a rural area sorry your F***ed.

Relatively low paid to who? Dolald Trump?
    ONE postman will earn €86,500 this year, when his overtime pay is included. The top ten earning post workers will earn nearly €800,000 among them by the year’s end, according to figures obtained by The Irish Examiner.

This is not low pay.

As for competition - it was only with the arrival of Ryanair did we see Aer Lingus getting rid of wastage and inefficency.

The Irish postal system has been pretty poor for a while now.

The army should be brought in to deliver mail. A postman earning €86,500 - It is a pity our public service unions don't look at what post men are earning in countries that we are competing for FDI aganist.

€86,500 is far from low pay.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Why is it wrong that through working overtime a postman can earn 86K ? Is it because of some rule that says - gee an IT head can earn 86K but not a blue-collar worker ?

Did the examiner reveal how much other postmen are earning ? You know the ones with bangers of cars...did it reveal how much their basic wage is ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,629 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

parsi wrote:

Privitisation will mean that the profitable services will be held onto but no-one will deal with sending of letters from Beara to the Glenties.

Once a company goes out of state control the universal service obligation gets harder to enforce.

An age old argument but in a regulated market this shud not be the case. A regulator would need to be appointed with a code of practise drafted outlining what the minimum level of service should be in low profitable or loss areas.

Privatisation is the way forward in any industry. Except the gardai of course!!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,418 ✭✭✭✭Victor

faceman wrote:
    An age old argument but in a regulated market this shud not be the case. A regulator would need to be appointed with a code of practise drafted outlining what the minimum level of service should be in low profitable or loss areas.
    But there is a regulator (the same one that regulates Eircom....)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭cal29

faceman wrote:

Privatisation is the way forward in any industry. Except the gardai of course!!

And what if companies dont want to operate in Loss areas but just want to operate in urban areas what then

if An post are in trouble it seems unrealistic that private companies are going to set up offices and offer all the services An post does in rural towns and villages

And speaking of regulators we have one and it is the same one that regulates Eircon that is why people cannot switch to smart without changing their phone number and why people wanting to change broadband supplier have to move their account back to Eircom first which takes about a month

Yes regulation and privatisation are the way to go it has been such a success with eircom http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif
    :rolleyes:

Advertisement