Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the Eircom game

Options
  • 11-09-2001 7:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭

Is Eircom over pricing DSL so the casual user wont want it and capping it so that "heavy" users just cant use it.

so is the plan to give DSL to the least amount of ppl possible?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Uh, yes. I thought everyone knew that already? :confused:

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

I think eircoms marketing strategy here is to constrict the terms of the service so much so that only business users that REALLY need cheap(er) high speed connections will signup. They will keep this going for as long as possible without offering the residential public any level of service.

The marketing 'gurus' must be thinking "What fool is going to pay us 80 quid a month to use this service and end up paying us about another 50 quid a month on top of that for the extra bandwidth they will use." Its like the Esat No Limits death - or '75 hour limit'.

No doubt some telco, Esat for example, will set themselves up nicely with DSL equipment and start offering residential packages that will far outshine what eircom will offer when they first offer residential service. Of course then all the custom will go to esat and eircom will be thinking "Hmm, its happening again".

Answers on a postcard now people - How long will it be before the future Esat xDSL services go the way of the No Limits due to Eircom pricing and users 'not keeping in the spirit of the service'

Excuse my pesimism, but its the way I see things playing out.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭infomat

I have always claimed that Eircom has no respect for or interest in domestic users. They do not want home users and they would be more than happy for them to migrate to any offering made by Esat then all they have to do is present Esat with a single large monthly bill for doing nothing other than allowing access to their equipment.

Advertisement