Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help, From Galway Need To Know Everything

Options
  • 06-10-2005 12:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

HI
    i am moving to cork in jan, but i have never even set foot in cork, ireally need to know more, what are giood areas to live in, what are the dodgy areas please name them i will be on my own a lot ,a young woman as my fella will work nights so i don't want to be anywhere scary, is douglas really ten mins from city, i checked daft evverything is described as ten mins from city, is it ten min drive orwalk? i dont drive, is the bus service good?where are the jobs?the main city centre or outskirts, im from galway, will i like cork, or is it big and scary l(and dirty)ike dublin?????are the people really cliqy?and racist?ive heard bad things, come on tell me the good stuff!!!
    thanks!!all comments apppreciated

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Douglas is nice, good pubs, nice people, good shopping etc. Its 10 minutes to city by car or bus.

Stay away from the northside unless your going to glanmire. It really really is not nice. I wont go into what some of the people are like but im sure you get the idea.

G'luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 HITHERE

thanks for that,
    what areas are in the northside, yes i am clueless!i am going down at the weekend and will scour the are, what are the names of the dodgy places,thanks!

also, what would ye all think about living in the city cenre, here in galway i live basically on the main strreet in town, is it better to go a little way out of the city?

I wouldnt call them dodgy... more socially challenged. There are mostly decent people living there but like anywhere the minority cause the problems.

Places such as Knocknaheeney, Holyhill, Gurranabraher, Churchfield, Blackpool, Shandon, Mc Curtain Street, Anywhere around the prison,

Parts of Mayfield and Ballyvolane are very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Would agree with Chief, Douglas/Frankfield/Blackrock or even bishopstown all have good transport links to the city centre and are nice places,...

• Advertisement

thanks
    see i didn't even knw there was a prison !ah the innocence of galway!is there much work in cork?i have degrees, blah blah, admin, public service , college work?here there is a lot of language work and burger flipping!

If you are looking for Cork Peoples opinions you could try www.peoplesrepublicofcork.com

Not mad about it or the people on it myself.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

If you try to live right in the city centre you'll be looking at a fairly hefty rent (although from my experience it wouldn't be much more than city centre in Galway). It's worth looking around though - daft is a good place to look for housing, but you need to know what bus routes etc will be nearby if you're not within walking distance to the city. Personally I find Galway and Cork similar enough - slightly less open space in cork, but on the other hand a bigger variety of things going on (at least, if you know where to look...).

What sort of jobs would you be looking for? If you've got languages there's a whole bunch of call-centres around the place among other things, but they tend to be fairly crappy jobs that aren't exactly brilliantly paid. A handy place to start if you can't get anything else at short notice, though.

Good luck with the move. :)

Ah thanks,
    i hane looke at daft quite a lot actually and to be honest i think the rent is cheaper in cork, well maybe not cheaper per se but you get a third bedroom and a patio, compared to a two bed apartment here for a grand!Well my fella will be working in the hospitals, i myself am adaptable!its been tough getting a decent job here, my ideal is to work in a library, now i work in a college doing admin work, maybe temping would be a good way to get to know the city too...so the social life, good?to be honest we are moving for a a few reasons
    1)work for me maybe there are more opportunities
    2)THE WEATHER!!We live under the illusion that you have better waether less rain, and more sunshine!!!!
    3)we are bored in galway, you know how dubs say, @i love galway, great place to drink' yeah its just big pub, nothing else to do, we are getting boring and settled we want plays, comedy clubs, go karting!!!!!
    4)the night classes in ucc look great

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Social life down here is good, but it can seem like all the pubs and clubs are the same - if you try and go to a few different places you'll get a feel for where suits you. Now that college is back on, there's people out most nights so there'll always be somewhere to go.

The weather down here...hmmm. Not too sure about the less rain, but probably - and it's definitely warmer in winter.

As for getting bored - I've never lived in Galway (just been regularly at weekends for a while) but it's possible to get bored of Cork if you don't look around for things to do. If you do look around a bit, there's always something to catch your interest though. That's how I find it, anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Chief--- wrote:
    If you are looking for Cork Peoples opinions you could try www.peoplesrepublicofcork.com
    There's Cork people on PROC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Hells_Belle

Hiya! We've just moved to Cork about five weeks ago from London, and we love it.

We made the decision to live city centre, as imho you don't really get a sense of what a city is like if you don't live in it, all suburbs being rather similar to one another. Also, as we don't drive, this is working well for us - you can get everywhere in Cork on foot and I've not taken any cabs (or buses) except to the airport since I got here.

We're paying e850 a month for a 2-bedroom that's absolutely enormous, if that's any help.

I've never felt unsafe here at night, and we're out on foot very late quite regularly. Washington Street can be a bit chock-a-block with drunken morons at 3 am, but I've not felt threatened, just annoyed.

There's loads to do and brilliant shopping, although it took us a good long while to find the biggest supermarket - there's a SuperValu buried in Dunnes I didn't find until last week.

And, if you get bored or want to get out for the day, you can hop on a train and go explore some other places quite easily. We just spent a lovely day in Cobh (though I expect it would be hell on earth in summer tourist season) and will try Fota in a few weeks.

As for work, we're self employed but I've seen a variety of jobs in temp agency windows that look easy enough to pick up if you have office-based skills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭arctic lemur

You could try going out to Clonakilty for a day to the beach/ model railway village. Its a really nice town. I used to live in Carna, Conemara and the only thing i did was irish dancing on Wednesday nights in the Westwood (i know how sad!!). So i escaped and moved to Dublin. Couldn;t get a job in Cork. There are some agencies on the Grand Parade that advertise jobs daily. Where food and other cool things are to be found- try The English Market on the Grand Parade, its great and theres a lovley restaurant called' The Farm Gate' i used to go there when i was in UCC.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭bungeecork

There's loads to do and brilliant shopping, although it took us a good long while to find the biggest supermarket - there's a SuperValu buried in Dunnes I didn't find until last week.
    QUOTE]

That one's fairly cramped and has a limited range. Bigger supermarkets in the suburbs.

I spent 4 months driving around Europe this summer and the traffic sucks in all Irish towns compared similarly sized towns on the continent and in the UK. Good luck getting anywhere in 10 minutes during peak hours.

If I were you, I'd pick a gym close to the city and look for accom. close to that.

Advertisement