Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Congrats to the Government...

Options
  • 06-10-2005 12:32pm

...I know it isn't as newsworthy as Eddie Hobbs complaints about sick budgies and dogwalking, but I believe Tax Revenue this week came in one billion euros ahead of what was projected.

I hope those who constantly carp about the Government, the budgie and dogwalking, are magnanimous enough to praise success, when its due...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Taxation as a success? WTF?
    So they managed to steal more money from everyone!Is that really to be praised?
    It is obviously the mega-rich that swelled the coffers to bursting point right?
    Not Joe Soap paying over the odds for stamp duty and all the other sly little taxes that one doesn't see at first.
    Hmm...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

Who did the bloody projections?

The same people that did the budget on the Health Service Computer Systems?

"You're having a laff " ...surely :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

Yeah, congrats for screwing me in up arse a little more than you intended to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Yes well done to the government for clearly over taxing to the extent they have an extra 1 billion!!! They have no idea what they're doing and can't keep track of how much the stealth tax will bring in, its so stealthy they cant even keep track of it.

Thanks for over charging us €1 billion bertie.

CJhaughey wrote:
    Not Joe Soap paying over the odds for stamp duty

In my experience it is commercial developers and investors who pay the vast bulk of stamp duty, as opposed to the Joe Soaps you mention.

Either way, I think I'm getting the reaction I expected.

I just wanted to check if people could dish out criticism and praise in an unbiased fashion, or really just hated anything that had the FF imprimateur...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

Conor74 can I direct your attention to the long article in the Irish Times saturday edition in the last 2 weeks that highlighted Tax evasion in the building industry.

Another headline the other day in said paper was about millionaires paying little or no income tax to our exchequer.

God Bless 'em all :rolleyes:

Tomohawk wrote:
    Tax evasion in the building industry.

And I presume, given the title to this thread, the point you are making is this only started with the current FF/PD Coalition being in power.

God Bless 'em is right, sure weren't they all tax compliant up to 1997...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭Ardent

In my experience it is commercial developers and investors who pay the vast bulk of stamp duty, as opposed to the Joe Soaps you mention.

Don't developers pass on stamp duties to consumers anyway at the end of the day? Can't believe you can call the amount of tax our sneaky government raked in this year a "success"...!

It's hardly success in my view when I see the difference between gross pay and net pay on my pay check every month. Or the way I get fleeced with VAT and over-charging in any shop with what's left after income tax. Not to mention house prices, stamp duty, roads tolls, VRT, road tax, ESB increases...

More like getting away with daylight robbery than success.

Ardent wrote:
    Don't developers pass on stamp duties to consumers anyway at the end of the day?

I think you'll find I referred to 'commercial' developers.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'd be happy if I didn't know that the €1 billion will just be squandered by greedy contractors and morons getting paid too much for doing too little because they think they require jobs for life.

I've no problem paying tax - it's the way they waste it that bothers me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

...I know it isn't as newsworthy as Eddie Hobbs complaints about sick budgies and dogwalking, but I believe Tax Revenue this week came in one billion euros ahead of what was projected.

I hope those who constantly carp about the Government, the budgie and dogwalking, are magnanimous enough to praise success, when its due...

Er ... don't you mean congrats to the people of this fine state who pay taxes ... the government still has a 2 billion euro deficit, so I hardly think they are save the state money ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Coming in so far over budget shows how poor their forecasting is - I'm surprised you fell for the little 'under-promise, over-deliver' trick.

I just wanted to check if people could dish out criticism and praise in an unbiased fashion, or really just hated anything that had the FF imprimateur...

They didn't do anything!!

As soon as you point out what FF should exactly be given credit for, I am sure you will get some ... at the moment you might as well be saying "Look the extra sunny summer really helped the farmers, we should really thank Fianna Fail for providing the sun" :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

The reasoning behind taxation is so the government can raise funds to spend (wisely) on our behalf on worthy projects that benefit us all yet no individual or other group could fund.

The fact is that spending is nearly €1bn behind including a €350m underspend in capex.

This suggests that the Government is only interested in raising money. The wise expenditure on worthy projects side of the bargain is not being well kept.

We want our money back in the form of good public services please!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

RainyDay wrote:
    Coming in so far over budget shows how poor their forecasting is - I'm surprised you fell for the little 'under-promise, over-deliver' trick.

Bingo !

If private business were as accurate we'd be in some fine mess.

Wicknight wrote:
    As soon as you point out what FF should exactly be given credit for, I am sure you will get some ... at the moment you might as well be saying "Look the extra sunny summer really helped the farmers, we should really thank Fianna Fail for providing the sun" :rolleyes:

I appreciate that the whole earth/sun thing is for Mother Nature. But do you really think she prepares the annual Budget too, and tweaks the tax regime every year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Conor74

They didn't do anything!!

As soon as you point out what FF should exactly be given credit for, I am sure you will get some ... at the moment you might as well be saying "Look the extra sunny summer really helped the farmers, we should really thank Fianna Fail for providing the sun"

Well Said!
    For many young people the ruling government since 1997 is all they have known. For these cetlic tiger cubs their political and historical knowledge of the earlier 90s and beyond can be scant. I've been voting since 1986 in Irish politics and have always taken an interest in the way this country is run. In my own experience the periods of FF dominance in any of our governments have been the worst on grounds of bad management (and corruption). This last one we can now add definetively post tribunals.

For FF to take the lions share of the credit for the economic and thus social developments in the last 10 years is a joke. What happened before 1997 indeed Conor74... granted that we had Irish other governments.

I personally put the celtic tiger boom down to an worldwide economic upswing in the economies of the developed nations at the the time. This and the rise of the PC! It was gonna happen anyway regardless of who was in power at the time in Kildare street. But who gets the credit, alas FF mostly. Rather who claims the credit, FF mostly.

I appreciate that the whole earth/sun thing is for Mother Nature. But do you really think she prepares the annual Budget too, and tweaks the tax regime every year?

Nope she doesn't so, to avoid confusion, I will change my statement to neither Fianna Fail or Mother nature deserve credit for the money

Not that anyone in particular deserves credit, this money is a product of under estimation, it is not as if anyone actually produced extra money. The government continues to waste bucket loads of money every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭Ray777

Personally, I'll be quite happy to praise success when I see it. I don't think the current government has done an awful lot to merit praise though. Perhaps, when people are nolonger reduced to experiencing third world conditions in this 'booming' country's hospitals, I shall consider the government worthy of praise. In the mean time, I will consider them to be the most incompetent government of my lifetime, squandering money left, right and centre and living off the back of the economic success, of which the foundations were implemented long before they entered power.

Well, I bought a big cake for the Government and only fans get a slice... :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

I think that country is in good financial position. The government deserves credit for this.

Many countries across the globe would love to be in such a position.

Slice of cake heading to Cork...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Sarsfield wrote:
    The reasoning behind taxation is so the government can raise funds to spend (wisely) on our behalf on worthy projects that benefit us all yet no individual or other group could fund.
    Like, for example, P-PARS.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Cork wrote:
    I think that country is in good financial position.
    Just a wild guess, but you haven't suffered from any illness requiring a hospital stay recently and you don't have kids.

There is now a phenomenon in this country called 'the working poor'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

There is now a phenomenon in this country called 'the working poor'.

We had the "new poor" in the early 90's.

The working poor? Can I join?

I am doing part time study. I am using all my free time with a part time course. I will be using up all my holidays up over the next couple of months for study. I don't care very much for my current job. I would love to claim victimhood. I would love a good holiday.

I see students going around in cars. Irish people taking numerous foriegn holidays and even owning property abroad.

I was talking to some forign workers today who were working in Cork and they were so impressed with this country.

Sure health needs improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Cork wrote:
    I see students going around in cars.
    Heavens to Betsy. No, I can't believe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Well, I bought a big cake for the Government and only fans get a slice... :p

Our government is doing a great job of running the country Conor74!

/WW mode

NOT!
    You can keep your slice of cake. If its a FF cake I'm sure its a very small slice anyway. And it might be poison!

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭pitstop

I don't care HOW much it is - what they do with it is the problem - talk to that lady in Dublin with the teenage autistic child who could not get care and eventually got treatment thru public donation - but yet we can spend 11MILLION!!!! on consulting services and health care payroll systems and electronic voting - I can't even waste my time listing them!!

I would LOVE to be completing annual appraisals on these guys - they would owe money instead of getting increases!! Shower of !!!

EVEN WORSE - we don't have an opposition!!

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭pitstop

Just listening to some fool from IPA saying that the outcome of the PPARS incident will be a period of...................

REFLECTION...............

aaaahhhh.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭SoBe

just on reading this thread i know im not alone in thinking that the ff/pd partnership has squandered more money than i will ever see in a life time on pointless things.i just hope that come election day they see how the people of this country have had enough of them.

i for one have had more than enough of them,i have got to the point that i have sold my house and will be emigrating as soon as i get my visa (just a matter of waiting now)

there are many reasons why im emigrating but top of the list is our pathetic excuse for a goverment and the way they treat the normal working man

oh and by the way i dont want any cake either

Advertisement