Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBB problems in Cork since Monday

• 06-10-2005 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

since Monday I am not able to access the Internet or if, I have a speed of approx 1.2kb.

I was on to IBB regarding that on Tuesday, received an E-Mail which requiered me to do some testing and send back the results. Did it immediately and was promised to get an update on that in 24 hrs. Of course it never happened so i had to call them again, spent 45 minutes on waiting to receive the same information again "we are working on it and we will call you back in the next hour. Needless to say the call never came, so back on to them 2day. First at 9am, same answer and same promise again "we will call you back in the next hour". Never happened either, so back at 12. This time I wasn't that pacient anymore and asked for a supervisor. The guy on the phone couldn't connect me, argued about 20 minutes with him, no outcome. He seriously wanted me to believe that i will receive a call in the next hour. was laughing at him and basically told him that I will cancel my DD in the next hour if i won't receive a call.

So, let's wait and see.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

There is a upgrade due tonight, There is a contention problem, a very big one in Cork as there is wayyyyy to many users/p2p downloaders so apparently the outtake tonight from 3.am to 5am is ment to fix it(for a while anyway) i am out of my contract with ibb still have there stuff though aerial etc, i wont give it to them untill i get my refund check :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Yeah them lads tell you anything to get you off the phone. I rang them this morning and got told it would be fixed this afternoon but I know that will be a load of bulls**T. I only hope im wrong. In not in cork btw the problem my end is different im sure, but still a problen. My main point, never believe anything they tell you on the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭mlink73

Yeah, I know they tell you anything to get rid of you. I had the luck of always dealing with the same guy on the phone, do they just have one guy working there? I mean what are the chances of calling 4 times on different days and always dealing with the same guy?

Well there is at least 4 guys there cause Ive kept a log of all my calls since about my 20th and ive delt with about 4 different lads for sure.

Well there is at least 4 guys there cause Ive kept a log of all my calls since about my 20th and ive delt with about 4 different lads for sure.

That would explain the average waiting time around 30 minutes until your call gets answered. I wonder how many people are working in their sales departement, i bet at least 15, you get through to them in no time.

• Advertisement

Was in a non national?Cos if so all i can get in contact with after 7pm is him and he knows nothing! I got the information off a email Ibb sent me about mantainence not off a phone call i no better than that...
    mlink73 wrote:
    Yeah, I know they tell you anything to get rid of you. I had the luck of always dealing with the same guy on the phone, do they just have one guy working there? I mean what are the chances of calling 4 times on different days and always dealing with the same guy?

Was in a non national?Cos if so all i can get in contact with after 7pm is him and he knows nothing! I got the information off a email Ibb sent me about mantainence not off a phone call i no better than that...

The guy I was dealing with was definately a national. But he was also absolutely clueless and very quiet. All he said was "i am sorry but there is nothing I can do" over and over and over again for nearly 10 minutes. It almost sounded like an automated response. I got him on the phone on Tuesday evening, Wednesday afternoon, evevning and Thursday morning.

There all well educated in feedin bshítt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

easy on the non-national lingo !! makes no difference !! they are all the same !!

to be fair to the guys on the phone I dont think its their fault. Id say they know the full story but IBB wont let them tell us. I know working tech support on phones can be frustrating job. I have friends that did this long enough. But imagine doing it when you know its the fault of youre employers and there is nothing you can to to help these people. Thoes guys must be really getting it in the ear and at this stage they are used to it and it just goes over their heads by now.

I think some should start a support group for troubled IBB tech support guys the stress must get to some of them, " Hi, my name is Barry and I work for IBB tech support....."

• Advertisement

I completing agree, but some just dont have any clue about computers, Always when i am in a pssed off mood with Ibb and want to blow the lid i always say i no its not yer fault(to the support guys) but you can clearly see how annoyed i am like...
    to be fair to the guys on the phone I dont think its their fault. Id say they know the full story but IBB wont let them tell us. I know working tech support on phones can be frustrating job. I have friends that did this long enough. But imagine doing it when you know its the fault of youre employers and there is nothing you can to to help these people. Thoes guys must be really getting it in the ear and at this stage they are used to it and it just goes over their heads by now.

I think some should start a support group for troubled IBB tech support guys the stress must get to some of them,

And here we go:

I received an E-mail yesterday. It basically said that they did all the tests on their side and the problem seems to be caused by local interferrences.

So once they get the GIS report (where there also seems to have a huge backlog on), which will likely happen at some stage next week, they will send out a team to switch me to another high point.

Great, that means after 5 days without any progress I'll have to wait at least another week before they even take some action.

Now, that's what I call customer service. Well done IBB!! :mad:

Now word on a refund or anything like that for the time without connection yet. Have to ring customer care again.

I think I'll also touch base with Digiweb to get more infos on Metro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

mlink73 wrote:
    And here we go:
    So once they get the GIS report (where there also seems to have a huge backlog on), which will likely happen at some stage next week, they will send out a team to switch me to another high point.

thats an original fob for ! "poor equipement and installation!!"

I dont think my connection speed helps really with the fact i dont have full los there is a big f off tree in front of my view, but they figured my signal was perfect after a hour trying to find signal.... Since then there was a new highsite put in place (ChurchField) Which i have perfect Los can see it out of my windows and distance isent a prob because a buddy who is on it is 1.5km back from churchfield and he was getting perfect speeds, but the Gis report said i cant get it as i dont have Los, I argued and argued, saying i will pay a full installation fee if i am wrong, and all i got was the Gis software costs millions to put in place its not going to ly, So i got out of my contract but they wont give me my refund untill they deinstall which they wont come and do....But i dont want to give them the aerial etc untill i get my refund either........

BUt i am getting a solid 230k downloads now strange isent it after cancelling my contract....

Strange thing is, I checked from my roof, there is a clear LOS. So, dunno what the heck is going on . Guess I'll have to wait and see.

It's 8 days now and still the same problem. Was on to IBB yesterday and got the same answer: still waiting on the GIS report.

Great, so my bandwith is basically not existing (0.5kb) and I'll have to switch to a dial up connection for the time beeing.
    Still no word on an estimated date to get it fixed.

I am getting savage speeds for 7 days now 230k + sometimes as high at 300-400 this is the first time in 5 months and guess what i already cancelled my contract with them.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Theres no packetloss at the moment. Astounding i say! I definately noticed boards was actually loading up within 10 seconds per page. It was quite an experience to actually be able to click on a link and have it open near instantly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 66 ✭✭PlasmaFish

IBB are reported to having problems with there Base stations in Cork and Galway for the last two weeks so a software upgrade or something.

When pinging the Base station/Gateway you get about 20% dropped packets out of 100 pings

Regarding boards.ie site well it's slow anyhow even on a 30Mbit Leased line connection the site is slow generally and takes a few seconds to load up.
    I would not recommend it for testing your connection.
    ping your ISP's gateway or DNS servers.

PlasmaFish wrote:
    IBB are reported to having problems with there Base stations in Cork and Galway for the last two weeks so a software upgrade or something.

When pinging the Base station/Gateway you get about 20% dropped packets out of 100 pings

Regarding boards.ie site well it's slow anyhow even on a 30Mbit Leased line connection the site is slow generally and takes a few seconds to load up.
    I would not recommend it for testing your connection.
    ping your ISP's gateway or DNS servers.

I did all the tests on pings and ISP's in first place and sent them to the 2nd line support. They came back to me and suggested to move me to an alternative high site. So I was told yesterday that an engineer will call me today to make an appointment. But if you ring technical support there is a recorded message at the beginning which tells you that the problems with their high sites supposed to be fixed at some stage today. Coincidence? To be honest I believe that it is easier for them to blame local interferrences than their own high sites, so I wouldn't be surprised if the problem is suddenly resolved today.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Murrough

Ive had problems with IBB from the start which was over a year ago...
    Takes them weeks to actually do something. At the moment ive got horrible packetloss .. as much as 50% at times which makes games unplayable. Ive had it for nearly 3 weeks now and still going ! Rang up and moaned a few times till they eventually sent some1 out who just changed what highsite i connected to.. That didnt do anything though cos its pretty much just down to them overselling :/. Second i can im gonna drop them .. they suck so bad its not even funny.

Advertisement