Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which camera phone takes best pictures!? (just opinion, no photos please!)

• 06-10-2005 1:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭

I have a 7610 and I use the camera a lot, it takes very reasonible pictures but the upgrade bug has got me and I'm looking around for my next phone.

I saw a review saying the K750i took better pictures than the N90 even with the N90's fancy lens. Does this make it the best phone for photos?!

Please don't post sample photos otherwise the thread will be locked!

Cheers!

J

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Vorak

Im sure there are some amazing camera phones just released or being released in Japan atm, but when i bought my sony ericcson k750 it was the shizzle. Its got a 2.0 mega pixel camera and takes wicked videos or stills. I recommend. The only thing wrong with it is that if you receive a text message whilst taking a video, the video stops and the phone shows you the text,without saving the video..............as though the text wudnt be there when you finished taking the video.

Boo sony........boo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭whizzbang

Vorak wrote:
    Im sure there are some amazing camera phones just released or being released in Japan atm, but when i bought my sony ericcson k750 it was the shizzle. Its got a 2.0 mega pixel camera and takes wicked videos or stills. I recommend. The only thing wrong with it is that if you receive a text message whilst taking a video, the video stops and the phone shows you the text,without saving the video..............as though the text wudnt be there when you finished taking the video.

Boo sony........boo!

thats a bit of a bad design isn't it?!

besides that have you had any trouble with it? I thought I heard people mention they had had some problems with the k750?

J

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 j26

I have a K750i too and have had no problems with it. It's a class bit of gear.

My only (minor) gripes are that I can't look for a phone no, or send a text while the media player is going, and the clock is indistinct when on standby.

Picture quality is excellent, and although I haven't printed any yet, I have uploaded them to a computer and they do come out well. They're obviously nothing compared to my real camera (a D70), they do compare well to 2mp camera shots I have seen. It's ideal as a proper camera for those impromptu shots on the go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭liamskater

Well the best is the Sharp 903 without a doubt. 3.2mpxls-but its not out yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

at the mo id say the sony ericssson k750i, and with the new firmware the picture quality is better.
    id recommend it

• Advertisement

Sparky_S wrote:
    at the mo id say the sony ericssson k750i, and with the new firmware the picture quality is better.
    id recommend it

new firmware? do you have to upgrade it or will all new ones have it already?
    J

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

j26 wrote:
    My only (minor) gripes are that I can't look for a phone no, or send a text while the media player is going, and the clock is indistinct when on standby.

You can send a text with the media player going. Just minimise it (press more - minimise) and go to messaging and send your text.

To check the time with the phone in standby just hit the volume +/- key and that lights up the screen making the time more readable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

The new sharp with the 3mp lens or Nokia N90..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭liamskater

Why do you say K750i (2MPXL) it has a good camera but no match for the 903 (3.2MXL)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Methinks whizzbang is looking for opionions on currently available phone/cams .

There is no poing speaking future tech as 1 : its not available yet and
    2 : it will soon be superceeded by something you dont know about yet !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭johndanielmoore

Sorry for asking a stupid question. Who makes the 903?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

whizzbang wrote:
    new firmware? do you have to upgrade it or will all new ones have it already?
    J

Yeah i debranded my O2 k750i and used SEUS (Sony Ericsson Update Service) to update my previous version R1L002 (previous firmware) to the new R1N035 firmware.
    It just improves the picture quality slightly, less compression on video and a faster viewfinder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 j26

You can send a text with the media player going. Just minimise it (press more - minimise) and go to messaging and send your text.

To check the time with the phone in standby just hit the volume +/- key and that lights up the screen making the time more readable.

Thanks for that. A minor irritation is now solved :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Sorry for asking a stupid question. Who makes the 903?

Sharp, it was mentioned above already...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

as some of you seem wrapped up in the megapixel madness... there are bigger megapixel handsets out, only problem is you'll have to emigrate and know Korean to use 'em ;) this was Samsung's 5.2 Megapixel handset (they also had a 7 Megapixel one at the same event)... although as was discussed at the time is it a camera-phone or a phone-camera...

pressing the 'camera' button out shot the optical lens and the "phone" switched into camera mode...

samsung_5.4m_optics_cam_devices.ie.jpg

turn it around and it looks like a regular (largeish) phone

samsung_5.4m_optics_phone_devices.ie.jpg

anyhow as sharkman says - if the guy is looking for practical advice then probably best to stick to handsets one can actually here (here and now/very near future)... for everyone falling over themselves over the Sharp just because it's Megapixel value is higher than others... there's much more to a digital camera than the amount of pixels it can handle... optics, compression techniques etc all play a huge role...

Thanks Dubwireless, I was just about to point out that it isn't all megapixels! you could have a 5MP camera with a crap lens that takes worse pictures than a 3 Mp with a good lens and CCD! More megapixels just means bigger photos, not always better photos!

I think once you have 2 MP you can print out decent quality photos from it, anything more is ovrerkill, especially on a camera. That is why I'm interested in which phone takes the best quality photos, least grainyness, best while balance etc. That being said the 903 does seem to be getting very good reviews!

My Vodafone contract is up in December so I think I will wait until then to change so any suggestions for current or soon to be released phones would be appreciated!

keep the options coming!

cheers!

one mroe thing with reguards to the K750i, the mobileburn.com review says the audio quality isn't very good for the call recipient. Has anyone found this to be the case? it could have been a firmware problem in their review model.

Cheers

I've had a K750i since June and have not had any problems with sound , I've updated the S/W twice and printed many photos out . Must say for a Phone/Camera/MP3 combo its great , just the right size and decent battrey life .

The Sharp seens a bit on the big side .

sharkman wrote:
    I've had a K750i since June and have not had any problems with sound , I've updated the S/W twice and printed many photos out . Must say for a Phone/Camera/MP3 combo its great , just the right size and decent battrey life .

The Sharp seens a bit on the big side .

thanks sharkman

one thing, how easy is it to update the firmware? can you doo it yourself or do you have to take it to aa SonyEricsson dealer?

cheers

[edit] never mind! i can see you can do it yourself on the SE web site!

You do it yourself , with the cable provided . Takes about 20 minutes .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

But bear in mind that you might not be able to use the update service if you have an operator branded handset.

But bear in mind that you might not be able to use the update service if you have an operator branded handset.

Only Vodafone brand handsets in Ireland don't they? Getting it from O2 or Meteor should allow me to update it myself I guess...

whizzbang wrote:
    Only Vodafone brand handsets in Ireland don't they? Getting it from O2 or Meteor should allow me to update it myself I guess...

No O2 also brand their handsets,well K750 anyway . I cant update my wife's phone and so am getting Wolfman to de-brand it .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

I had a K750i from metoer... Was plauged with probs, just brought my second one back today n they gave me a W800i instead. U can't upgrade the meteor K750i's, well i couldn't.. Got mine @ the carphone wharehouse. Here's hoping the w800i is allot more stable... Apart from the probs i had, great phones... W800i is much better than the K750i, speaker on it is class n the MP3 player is a better. Apart from that same phone

unklerosco wrote:
    I had a K750i from metoer... Was plauged with probs, just brought my second one back today n they gave me a W800i instead. U can't upgrade the meteor K750i's, well i couldn't.. Got mine @ the carphone wharehouse. Here's hoping the w800i is allot more stable... Apart from the probs i had, great phones... W800i is much better than the K750i, speaker on it is class n the MP3 player is a better. Apart from that same phone

Cheers, it seems a fair bit more expensive though!

J

Advertisement