Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexstar 8i

Options
  • 06-10-2005 1:56pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all

Im thinking of getting a nexstar 8i in the near future (well thats what im leaning to at the moment) (XLT if the budget stretches). I was wondering does anyone out there have one and what are their thoughts on them.

I guess the thing that is drawing me to them is their weight and size. They appear to be much lighter then the famous C8 and somewhat less bulky. Also as an SCT it needs less maintanence then a newtonian for columation etc.

Does anyone know of any user groups or web links I could read or spy on!!!

What sort of views should I get through it in general. I understand there is an issue with backlash from the slewing which can be solved by some sort of work around. After I get to grips with things, what is the story about astro photography in the future. Derotaters, equitotial wedge or just get a copy of something like registack :)

Any advise appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭accensi0n

abusive post deleted, accension banned from astronomy

-simu

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

accensi0n wrote:
    abuse deleted - simu

Huh? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭accensi0n

abusive post deleted

-simu

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Hi, this site has some good reviews.... in fact it seems to have just what you are looking for. Should be plenty of registax / astrostack type stuff on the web if you search, will get the latest version. Post again if you can't find it.
    My opinion would be start with basic setup before worrying about wedge derotator etc.

Check the reviews on:
    http://www.cloudynights.com/category.php?category_id=19&pr=2x6

Best of luck with the new scope.
    Martin.

BTW I believe a lot of respected imagers go for the 9.25 XLT.... if you want to push the boat out a bit more. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭albertw

dbran wrote:
    Also as an SCT it needs less maintanence then a newtonian for columation etc.

Does anyone know of any user groups or web links I could read or spy on!!!

SCT's still need colimation though to get the image really sharp, or so some SCT owners tell me anyway.

Aside from cloudynights which was mentional aready you could drop into www.irishastronomy.org/boards, there are plenty of SCT owners there.

For groups on a specific scope, search in yahoogroups. There is usually a group for every range of popular telescope.

Cheers,
    ~Al

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

your right albert, not agreeing from my personal experience, but there must be a need for collimation at least occasionally, that's what keeps bob's knobs in business.:
    http://www.bobsknobs.com/

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭dbran

Hmmm the 9.25 would seem to be a quite large. Seen one close up and it takes good pics. What about the meade lx200. possible more expensive but.....

Advertisement