Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

st. james sti clinic walk in service?

• 06-10-2005 3:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

i'd appreciate if anyone could tell me is the monday - friday 9.30am - 12.30pm service in st james' clinic a non-appointment walk in and queue type scenario?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

As far as I know you have to make an appointment - and even if you do, on the day you'll be asked to take a ticket and queue.

My advice? - see your GP if you're comfortable doing so. Depending on what your problem is, s/he may be able to treat it without you having to go to the clinic. If not (or if you want a full screening) you should ring St James's and make an appointment - then on the day, get there as early as you can!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

I can't answer your initial query but I'd recommend against seeing your own GP. When you get life insurance\assurance your medical records will be checked and even though you may not have an STI, the fact you got checked could adversely affect your premium. I don't work in insurance but that's my understanding of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Why not ring the clinic and ask them ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭Tuesday_Girl

0utshined wrote:
    I can't answer your initial query but I'd recommend against seeing your own GP. When you get life insurance\assurance your medical records will be checked and even though you may not have an STI, the fact you got checked could adversely affect your premium. I don't work in insurance but that's my understanding of it.

I hope that's not the case, that having an STD is ok as long as you don't declare it, but having it treated isn't. I don't think people should be penalised for taking care of their sexual health.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

i'd appreciate if anyone could tell me is the monday - friday 9.30am - 12.30pm service in st james' clinic a non-appointment walk in and queue type scenario?

Yeah its appointment only in there. Hilarious. Full of guilty looking people. Worth going for peace of mind.

• Advertisement

I agree with you Razzle but I've had to fill in a few forms recently and one of the questions asked if I'd ever been tested. The cynic in me would think that the reason that was asked was because they consider teting to be indicative of being in a high risk group. Like I say I don't work in Insurance so I can't tell for sure but that was how I read it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭Tuesday_Girl

0utshined wrote:
    I agree with you Razzle but I've had to fill in a few forms recently and one of the questions asked if I'd ever been tested. The cynic in me would think that the reason that was asked was because they consider teting to be indicative of being in a high risk group. Like I say I don't work in Insurance so I can't tell for sure but that was how I read it.

Yeah, now that I think about it, I remember once going for a medical for a job and I was asked on the form if I had ever been tested for HIV. That was 10 years ago though, didn't know if it was still happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

For **** sake. Your health is more important than an insurance application.

When you apply for (life) insurance you *don't*give the insurance company carte blanche to access your files at your GP. You will be asked some questions and when I did this last week I was *not* asked if I had attended an STI clinic.

Go speak with your GP and/or go to the clinic. Now. Please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

It doesn't really matter if there's a queue. I mean everyones in the same boat so its not gonna be people like "ugh, what a whore"

shabbyroad wrote:
    For **** sake. Your health is more important than an insurance application.

When you apply for (life) insurance you *don't*give the insurance company carte blanche to access your files at your GP. You will be asked some questions and when I did this last week I was *not* asked if I had attended an STI clinic.

Go speak with your GP and/or go to the clinic. Now. Please.

When I was filling out my forms one of the questions was had I ever been tested for HIV. The cynic in me says that answering yes to that question = an increase in premium. They also had a bit at the end I had to sign saying I gave them permission to check my medical records. Check yours again, I'd be surprised if that wasn't there. If you re-read my post you'll see I said not to see your own GP about this. By all means see A doctor, just not the one that your insurance company will be checking with.

OP,
    There's a sticky at the top of the forum about this. It's a first come first served .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Yeah, you need to make an appointment. Tell them you have an STD otherwise you'll be waiting a month or so.

When you arrive you need to take a ticket. Prepare to spend the entire day waiting, so bring a good book.

After you get your tests, you need to wait two weeks and then come in, take a ticket, and spend another day waiting.

It's a pain in the ass.

I've been there twice, was tested for everything and was totally healthy, so don't feel like you're in a room full of diseased sex maniacs. Half the people there are just being paranoid.

It's an interesting experience though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Illegal Alien

dublindude wrote:
    I've been there twice, was tested for everything and was totally healthy, so don't feel like you're in a room full of diseased sex maniacs. Half the people there are just being paranoid.

It's an interesting experience though.

lol, I think everyones had that though "Hmm....there was that time..." run through their head once in a while. I for one have been meaning to get a "check up" for a while, but after hearing a story from one of my mates, I've been putting it off...but then they say the worst ones are the ones with no symntoms...so I should really sort it out.

But, (and I dont know how graffic we can be here) can you tell me what exactly a full test entails? what do they stick in where, and is it cold?

Advertisement