Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless router problem

• 06-10-2005 4:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭

Got NTL 3 Meg installed yesterday
    yesterday Wireless router working fine - could use it in bedroom etc
    today it picks up the network but cannot access internet wirelessly
    When i open IE it says cannot be displayed

Definitely not NTL fault as when I wire into the modem it works
    Also, when i wire into the router it works too. what the ****? Any ideas?
    Router is Netgear DG834GT
    Thanks, Val

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Do you have firewalls enabled by any chance..?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

could be firewall alright...we switched from mcafee to norton and it hasn't worked right since tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭valor

didnt help at all, cheers though

anybody else any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

check your proxy settings and ensure that you're not in Offline Mode.
    What OS and IE ver?
    What IP address & subnet mask does your computer and router (respectively) have?
    Have you changed any settings over the course of the two days (ex: Security..?)

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭foxtail

i'm a little confused, i thought that the DG834GT (i use DG834G) was an ADSL modem/router and couldn't be used with cable broadband (which is what ntl is?). how are you plugged in? ethernet ntl modem to one of the LAN ports on the DG834GT? didn't know this was possible (that DG834GT could accept WAN connection other than through RJ45 phone port).

am considering ntl so this quite interesting for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭lazylad

How many lights do you have on the modem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

have u changed any of the settings on the router/bedroom pc...disable your router security to see if that sorts it

Karoma wrote:
    check your proxy settings and ensure that you're not in Offline Mode.
    What OS and IE ver?
    What IP address & subnet mask does your computer and router (respectively) have?
    Have you changed any settings over the course of the two days (ex: Security..?)

What do you mean by proxy settings? For IE?

It was working perfecetly when I went to bed Wednesday night and not on Thursday morning. I have changed lots of settings since But not in the interim when it stopped working.

Windows XP pro, Newest IE
    Dont know about the IP addresses and subnet masks, how do I check these?

lazylad wrote:
    How many lights do you have on the modem?

Theres 7 differnet lights , do you mean what names of the different lights? Dont think its aproblem with the modem because when i plug direct into it it works fine

foxtail wrote:
    i'm a little confused, i thought that the DG834GT (i use DG834G) was an ADSL modem/router and couldn't be used with cable broadband (which is what ntl is?). how are you plugged in? ethernet ntl modem to one of the LAN ports on the DG834GT? didn't know this was possible (that DG834GT could accept WAN connection other than through RJ45 phone port).

am considering ntl so this quite interesting for me.

Maybe it shouldnt be used in this way but it worked for the first day perfectly and the NTL technician told me that its what we needed. Dude who sold it to me told me lot of NTL customers had bought if off them too so..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭foxtail

thanks for info.

you've probably done all this but i'd go about trouble shooting this way:

-1. make sure in internet options>connections set to 'never dial a connection'

1. check whether problem is connection pc to router or router to internet (http://192.168.0.1 in IE or ping 192.168.0.1. if responds then internet connection problem, if not then possibly pc-router issue)

2. if internet problem, check settings again - DNS, encapsulation, login, DHCP etc - then test using router on Basic Settings page or use ping www.google.com on router )

3. if pc-router problem first check with direct cable connection, if working then wireless problem, if not then possibly pc network settings issue

4. if wireless problem then first disable all security settings (WEP, WPA, access list etc) then try to connect to unsecured network. if this doesn't work then check wireless turned on (i know, basic)

can you pick up router thru wireless?

foxtail wrote:
    thanks for info.

you've probably done all this but i'd go about trouble shooting this way:

-1. make sure in internet options>connections set to 'never dial a connection'

1. check whether problem is connection pc to router or router to internet (http://192.168.0.1 in IE or ping 192.168.0.1. if responds then internet connection problem, if not then possibly pc-router issue)

2. if internet problem, check settings again - DNS, encapsulation, login, DHCP etc - then test using router on Basic Settings page or use ping www.google.com on router )

3. if pc-router problem first check with direct cable connection, if working then wireless problem, if not then possibly pc network settings issue

4. if wireless problem then first disable all security settings (WEP, WPA, access list etc) then try to connect to unsecured network. if this doesn't work then check wireless turned on (i know, basic)

can you pick up router thru wireless?

Its a router ==> internet problem, the router just cant pick up the net connection at all. The wireless network works fine, I pick it upconnected at 54mps but when i open IE using wireless it just doesnt work
    It must be some problem with the settings on the router but Im drawing a blank as to what to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

Did you power cycle the NTL modem?

I know it loves to keep the last MAC address connected in memory and won't let anything else be plugged in.

did i what? restart the modem?

spoke to netgear support and they said it cant work for more than 1 user because it a modem/router combo or something...indian dude in call centre, didnt really understand him but basically he said we have to buy another router..thanks for all help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

valor wrote:
    did i what? restart the modem?

the ntl modem. Plug the power out wait a few mins and plug it back in.

Advertisement