Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this proper English?

Options
  • 06-10-2005 4:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭

Sorry if this is wrong here, but I don't know where else I should post it...
    I have to do a presentation about my favourite book, in English. But I can't speak English fluently so I need a text which I can learn by heart, but this text should be in proper English.
    So...could someone correct it?
    I often didn't know how I should express it, so if you know better expressions...would be great.

Here's the text. You needn't care about it's content...

Felidae is a crime novel by Akif Pirinçci, who was born in Istanbul 1959, but lives in Germany since he was nine years old and lives in Bonn now. 1989 he wrote his first bestseller Felidae, which is the the first book of the Felidae-series. Felidae is latin for the race of cats, and this novel is written from a cat’s perspective. The main characters are:
    Francis: A European shorthair and a highly intelligent and sarcastic smart ass, which is the narrator and detective of the story.
    Gustav: Francis’s “tin-opener”. A fat, poor and lonely human being whose only friend is his cat Francis.
    Blaubart: A crippled, taillless, one-eyed tough old Maine-Coon, which becomes Francis’s friend.
    Pascal: “The other smart ass”, a Brown Havanna, which is the only cat that is as clever as Francis. He can use the computer and wrote a computer listing called “Felidae” about all the cats living in their area.

This book is about Francis, who moves to a new home with his owner Gustav.
    Francis soon meets Blaubart in front of a dead cat. Blaubart tells Francis that this is not the first murdered cat, there is a mass murderer in their area. As they find more and more dead cats, they notice what they have in common: all dead cats were either in heat or pregnant when they were killed. With the help of Pascal’s Felidae listing they find another detail they have in common: they are all European shorthairs, the standard race of cats. The way they were killed shows that the murderer must be also a cat.
    Francis also discovers a religious group of cats, the Claudandus-sect, which admires the martyr-cat Claudandus, which is the only cat that could escape from cruel experiments humans did with him and many other cats and he the man who did the experiments.
    Later Francis meets Nhozemphtekh, the most beautiful cat he has ever seen, which belongs to a new but ancient race of cats, and he sleeps with her. But after that he finds out that all the other male cats which were murdered also tried to sleep with her.
    She is part of a breed program. Someone wants to breed the ancient race of cats back and thinks that he can be mightier than the humans with many cats of this race and can rule the world with them.

I really like the book because it is very interesting to see the world from a cat’s point of view. They think that they are the best creatures in the world and that they just use the humans as tin-openers. That’s more or less the way we think about us and animals. I also like the idea of cats having suicidal religious sects or that they learn how to use the computer while we don’t look after them, or that they read the books we are reading although we think they just stare on the paper. When reading the book you can even take pity on humans, because they are so blind and stupid.
    The funny and sarcastical way the story is told is great and the criminal story is also thrilling. Although it was pretty easy to guess who the murderer is the ending was a surprise to me.
    The characters are also great, especially Francis and Pascal, the two smart asses. It’s really fun to read their conversations.
    There are four other books of the Felidae-series, and they are all great criminal novels starring Francis, but I think Felidae is one of the best because the topic (animal experiments, racial purity) is very interesting. After reading the book you see cats in a completely different light.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Hi Feenikusu. Here are a couple of corrections and suggestions.
    Feenikusu wrote:
    Felidae is a crime novel by Akif Pirinçci, who was born in Istanbul 1959, [strike]but[/strike]has lived[strike]lives[/strike] in Germany since he was nine years old and is now resident in Bonn.[strike]lives in Bonn now[/strike]. In 1989 he wrote his first bestseller, Felidae, which is the the first book of the Felidae[strike]-[/strike] series. Felidae is latin for the race of cats, and this novel is written from a cat’s perspective. The main characters are:
    Francis: A European shorthair and a highly intelligent and sarcastic smartass , [strike]which is [/strike]the narrator and detective of the story.
    Gustav: Francis’[strike]s[/strike] “tin-opener”. A fat, poor and lonely human being whose only friend is his cat, Francis. (no real need to mention Francis twice)
    Blaubart: A crippled, taillless, one-eyed tough old Maine-Coon, who[strike]which[/strike] becomes Francis’[strike]s[/strike] friend. (maybe add the English translation of his name?)
    Pascal: “The other smartass”, a Brown Havanna[strike], which is[/strike] and the only cat [strike]that is [/strike]as clever as Francis. He can use the computer and has written[strike]wrote[/strike] a computer listing called “Felidae” about all the cats living in their area.

This book is about Francis, (already mentioned several times) who moves to a new home with his owner Gustav. (try something like "In this book, Francis and his owner, Gustav, move to a new home")
    Francis soon meets Blaubart in front of a dead cat. (at the scene of the murder of a cat?) Blaubart tells Francis that this is not the first murdered cat, there is a mass murderer in their area. As they find more and more dead cats, they notice what they have in common: all the dead cats were either in heat or pregnant when they were killed. With the help of Pascal’s Felidae listing they find another detail they have in common: they are all European shorthairs, the standard race of cats. The way they were killed shows that the murderer must be also a cat.
    Francis also discovers a religious group of cats, the Claudandus-sect, which worships[strike]admires[/strike] the martyr-cat Claudandus, [strike]which is[/strike] the only cat who managed to escape from a vivisection laboratory[strike]that could escape from cruel experiments humans did with him and many other cats and he the man who did the experiments.[/strike]
    Later, Francis meets Nhozemphtekh, the most beautiful cat he has ever seen, [strike]which belongs to[/strike]part of a new yet[strike]but[/strike] ancient race of cats, and [strike]he[/strike] sleeps with her[strike]. But after that[/strike]but afterwards discovers [strike]he finds out[/strike] that all the other male cats which were murdered also tried to sleep with her.
    Nhozemphtekh[strike]She[/strike] is part of a breeding program. Someone wants to breed the ancient race of cats back and thinks that he can be mightier than the humans with an army? legion?[strike]many[/strike] cats of this race and therefore[strike]can[/strike] rule the world[strike] with them[/strike].

I really like the book because it is very interesting to see the world from a cat’s point of view. Cats[strike]They[/strike] think that they are the best creatures in the world and that they just use [strike]the[/strike] humans as tin-openers. That’s more or less the way we think about [strike]us[/strike]ourselves and animals. I also like the idea of cats having suicidal religious sects or that they learn how to use the computer [strike]while we don’t look after them[strike] when we're not looking, or that they read the books we [strike]are reading[/strike] read although we think they just stare at[strike]on[/strike] the paper. When reading the book you can even take pity on humans, because they are so blind and stupid.
    The funny and sarcastic[strike]al[/strike] way the story is told is great and the criminal story is also thrilling. Although it was pretty easy to guess [strike]who the murderer is[strike]the identity of the murderer, the ending was a surprise to me.
    The characters are also great, especially Francis and Pascal, the two smartasses. It’s really fun to read their conversations.
    There are four other books of the Felidae-series, and they are all great criminal novels starring Francis, but I think Felidae is one of the best because the topic (animal experiments, racial purity) is very interesting. After reading the book you see cats in a completely different light.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Feenikusu

Thanks a lot! ^_^

Advertisement