Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Tactics

Options
  • 06-10-2005 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭

Maybe its just me, or maybe Ive just been unlucky but there seem to a load of people playing who dont use basic common sense...
    i.e.
    - dont sit in the AA guns, wait beside them until someone flys right up to you, then hop in and blast them, otherwise you give them SO much warning that you have locked on.
    - If Im standing in the gunner position of a vehicle its because I want to shoot something, its not so you can come over and jump in and drive off.
    Those mounted machine guns will take down a chopper before they overheat, a handy "quiet" weapon, unless some idiot drives away with it.
    - If you are driving up on an enemy base or esp a ship DONT fire into the air like an idiot, you might as well phone ahead to let them know you are coming.

anyone else got some basic sensible advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Don't forget your shovel if you wanna go to work.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

- join a squad ... makes respawning in the thick of combat a lot easier ...
    - if you're squad leader ... don't play chicken with the enemy bullets part of your job is to stay alive for squad members to spawn ...
    - if you suddenly become squad leader and don't want to be ... leave the squad and join it again ...
    - don't be a muppet and punish I only punish for actual intentional tk's ... also if you punish me and I'm a medic ... chances are you won't be getting a revive from me ...

AnAccident on BF2 btw :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Subliminal

Yup some sensible advice there....

My 2 cents - If you are a gunner in a helo, make the pilots job as easy as possible to save him manuvreing to avoid/hit an enemy. Keep your eyes open, and when there is a lot of the enemy grouped together, go camera mode ( Right Click ) and launch a missile. Gunners seem to never get tired of firing that gun into water...as you say, may as well go up to the enemy and introduce yourself. Only fire when you have DEFINITE targets. And 1 last thing..... Dont jump out of the chopper at the first lock on...the pilot needs a gunner, and he will prob be able to avoid lock ons ( If he's a half decent pilot anywho ) chances are you wont get hit until your 6th/7th lock on, so dont ditch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

dont eat yellow snow.......

if you are the pilot of a bomber, work with your gunner, dont hog the kills by returning to base after ever bomb load.

- tap the trigger ... 3 is your friend ... use it ... automatic a lot of the time is only good close ish range ...
    - medics are your friend ... rush in first and if they are any good they'll have a revive ready for you ... medics should rarely go first ...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

GreeBo wrote:
    - dont sit in the AA guns, wait beside them until someone flys right up to you, then hop in and blast them, otherwise you give them SO much warning that you have locked on.

Emm just locking on is sometimes enough to kill the chopper, i love watching them panic spin and chuck all their flares. Odds are you will miss with the rocket but they dont seem to know that :D

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

GreeBo wrote:
    - If Im standing in the gunner position of a vehicle its because I want to shoot something, its not so you can come over and jump in and drive off.

Yeah and If I just spawned and need to get half a mile away theres no way in hell im gonna go for a jog so you can have your little machine gun post.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

always wear sunscreen, in the likes of mashtuur city you can easily get burned standing around in the sun all day.

Also if someone close enough shoots at you then ducks for cover run straight for their position, chances are they are reloading.

If a sniper starts shooting at you, don't go prone. They'll just get a nice still target. Sprint for cover immediately

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

I think the best one is below

Dont get shot!!!! or actually don't get killed at all.....always a good start!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭c0y0te

Here are some *slightly obvious* suggestions...

1) When playing support, act like support.

MEdics are there to keep the team alive, so do your job. No grandstanding, no rushing in first. Never stop throwing those medic packs for your team mates and always hang back. When you see a downed team mate, check the area first (you have 15 secs after all) and then revive him. No sense in walking into a bullet for nothing.

Ammo support; same as medic. Keep throwing that ammo and hang back. Provide cover for your troops as they rush ahead. You have a large clip requiring less reloads, so you can cover your front line troops while they reload and you also have a larger field of fire from a distance...so use it.

2) If you are a squad leader, lead the squad.

The two above roles are perfect for a squad leader. Leader should always lead from front (in tactical sense) but not the front line. Squad leader always should be concerned with advancing on nme positions and flags, but not being in direct conflict if possible. Therefore I see squad leading as a support role, and as such when leading I always go medic or ammo guy so that I can keep the squad either alive, or armed. Keep in mind, a good squad will respawn on you... so even if the 4 or 5 guys ahead of you get whacked, they will respawn in 15 secs and try again and in the interim you can either a) try to advance using stealth, b) revive nearby team mates or c) keep throwing ammo and keep the nme at bay with long range fire from your gun.

3) Think Strategically, Act Tactically.

Just because you can kill an nme, doesn't mean you should. Sometimes it's better to not give your position away, and to sneak past nmes for the greater good. This really applies if you are squad leading, as it places your team in a stronger position if your lads can respawn behind nme lines. It also applies to stealing nme assets. Think before you act. Don't just shoot everything in sight.

4) Slience those guys!

When playing special ops you get a pistol with a silencer - use it. It's accurate from close to medium distance, it gets the job done without exposing your position.

5) Crates are your nme too

When you come up on an nme crate - destroy it. It's an asset, just like anything else which will only hamper your advance, to take them out every time.

6) Know your landscape

Half the battle is knowing the killing ground. Get used to the maps, understand the various approaches to any base and don't ever just rush in to the flag and stand there. These maps are generally designed with 'options' in mind.. so use 'em. Most flags can be capped from behind objects, buildings or landfills - thus providing you with some protection.

7) Eye in the Sky

IF you are going to make a move on a base, call in a UAV. It's absolutely essential to defending your position effectively. Get that eye in the sky up as soon as possible and set your defences before you worry about whether you are close enough to the flag or not.

8) Watch out for litter!

If it looks like it doesn't belong, it's because it generally doesn't. Mines, C4 and claymores don't look like grass or concrete - so when you see something that looks like it doesn't fit - avoid it or blow it up. It's probably nasty.

9) Listen, Look, React

Listen to the comms traffic; watch the map and react accordingly. Sometimes the team can be in deep ****, about to loose the last flag on the map to the nme and running out of reinforcements. A lone squad leader in that position will generally be calling for reinforcements. Your're dead anyway, so join his team ASAP and spawn to him. You can always change back to your own team later. The key word here is - REACT to the comms traffic. Check it out...duck somewhere for cover, call up the overall tactical map and assess things for the two or three seconds it will take you to figure out that the team needs help too, not just the squad.

10) Stealing is good for the soul

Every single opportunity you get to steal an nme asset...take it. This will greatly reduce their effectiveness. Take that chopper and use it against them. steal that tank and mow them down from behind. Better yet - take the asset of choice and hide it somewhere on the map. It takes a while for the asset to self destruct, and during that period the nme is without it and your team holds the advantage.

11) Take the road less travelled

There are many ways to get to each objective, and there are many objectives. Don't just head for the nearest one each time. It's too predictable that the nme will have their strongest defensive line at the same point. Circumnavigate, avoid, confuse... head for the furthest objective from the front line and try to capture a base behind the nme, thus cutting off their supply line and causing a battle on two fronts instead of a single line.

12) Support your local squad

If you are a squad member - be a useful one. Check the makeup of the squad; see what they need most. Ammo, Medic, Sniper? Figure it out and do it. You will find the game more rewarding and enjoyable when you work as a team. The points and stats will follow - trust me. Team = progress = points.

13) If you can lead, lead

When you join a server, check out the number of squads. If there aren't enough, create one, invite people to join and get moving on the teamwork. More squads = more options = more chances of survival/winning.

14) If you can follow, follow

If you join a squad, listen to the comands and requests and react accordingly. There is no point in joining a squad if all you want to do is lonewolf it. Act like a squad member or bugger off and let someone else take the position. Squads need team members, not ballast.

15) Once more for luck...

Once you capture a base and have killed everything in sight, it's normal to call in for resupply (either support troops or crate from commander). At the same time, before you leave that base call in a UAV for one last check. Generally a smart (and outnumbered) nme will wait in the background for you to move on and then retake the base, cutting you and your sqaud off... so make that call to the commander, get one more UAV in play and just confirm that there are now little red dots hanging around the base before you move on.

I could go on and on with advice but I guess I should stop here and catch a breath. This game is so good that the depth and breath of options leads to long responses like this... which is a good thing, right? :p

c0y0te

In game, Coyote[IRL]

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Zillah wrote:
    Yeah and If I just spawned and need to get half a mile away theres no way in hell im gonna go for a jog so you can have your little machine gun post.
    Hmm I guess end up on the same server as you alot then :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Zillah wrote:

Or he could just sit there at the steering wheel of the jeep HE picked up and let the guy he should be shooting at , shoot you down , while he goes beep beep beep .

if he is shooting at something , then leave the jeep where it is , or maybe even help instead of heading half a mile away......

- give lifts ... jazus ... how many times do I go sprinting after a truck to get a lift and the buzztards ... just go zooming along ... if you hear a scream need a pick up ... go get them ... unless under heavy fire or whatever ... a lot of the maps take a long time to get places on foot ...

i normally reposition the jeep so the second machinegun can fire also. 2 guns can rip a chopper down in seconds. then just boot off in the jeep.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

@ cOyOte - great post

Tactics that work on isolated flags (- e.g. top left on Oman Beach landing) with good LOS/vantage nearby.

(i) you need a squad of at least 5, synch'ed [not easy on the demo servers :( - (oRnein9, where the f@ck is my game?!?)] - a additional medic would be nice
    (ii) 2 snipers, 2 assault, 1 spec ops, preferably starting from same area/point
    (iii) snipers take out 'dangerous perps' (MG post, missile post, NME scampering for APC ort Tank) and do not move - spec ops can assist with laser sight
    (iv) assault flank in pair while NME under sniper fire
    (v) once assault near the flag, spec ops drop C4 at vehicle access points & safe the area with 1 assault or man MG/Missiles, 1 assault hops into vehicle if available.
    (vi) leave one sniper there for a little while longer after rest of squad have scampered, just in case an NME managed to escape safing and starts reclaiming flag. Pick him up 10 secs later or so.

Should take about 20 to 30 secs if all 5(+) start coordinated. Don't happen often (as no-one knows any other, or rarely, on the demo servers) but when it does...man it feels good :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭c0y0te

@ cOyOte - great post

I must say - one pub server game I had a while ago had me as squad leader moving in on a base. Terriffic firefight ensued, me as medic keeping the team going, we even got a couple of tank/apc kills in the madness that occurs between 'neutral' flag and 'captured' status. Once the dust settled, I called in the UAV, we hunted down the survivors and then relaxed in to a defensive position. All was well - or so you would think :cool:

I do my 'we need supply crate' bit with the commander and call the team in to rearm and get ready for the counter assault. I get the green light from the commander 'supplies in your area'... I'm prone on the ground, hidden behind some pipes and what do you think happens?

Yup - the freaking supply crate landed ON ME.. and squished me like a bug :D ... unfortunately I was the only medic on the team.. so when the jeeps rolled over the hills in the counter offensive, most of my squad died before I could get back in to the fight.

Was a funny moment tho. You get so fired up when the teamwork actually works, and the plan comes together, and then having capped a base ... you get squished by a freak crate drop :eek:

What a game!!!!!

c0y0te

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Not really a tactic, but extremely fun to watch results when you can pull it off: as a SpecOps, snoop & plant 2xC4 on as many OpForce vehicles as you dare w/out getting killed, then (eventually) detonate all at once ;)

Big Reward: wait til OpForce boards their Tanks/APCs in their masses, then watch the points rack up (and the bases wide open for assault) :D

Big Risk: if your side gets hold of a booby-trapped OpForce vehicle in the intervening time, big-time tks :(

i love planting c4 on the blackhawks on FuShe, and waiting in the treeline for them to take off :D

jonski wrote:
    Or he could just sit there at the steering wheel of the jeep HE picked up and let the guy he should be shooting at , shoot you down , while he goes beep beep beep .

if he is shooting at something , then leave the jeep where it is , or maybe even help instead of heading half a mile away......

If he's in the middle of shooting something right then and there, then duh, of course I wont drive off. But if hes just sitting there with no enemies obviously on their way then its just a complete waste of a vehicle and I will take it.

• Advertisement

its people like you that make me put a c4 charge on my jeeps when im setting up to kill incoming choppers.

[QUOTE=Zillah But if hes just sitting there with no enemies obviously on their way then its just a complete waste of a vehicle and I will take it.[/QUOTE]

Just cause it ain't obvious to you doesn't mean they are not about , plus flags have to be defended as well as captured .

jonski wrote:
    plus flags have to be defended as well as captured .

Yes they have to be defended. Not all the time, and not with mobile vehicles. You have your own weapons and most flags have mounted machine guns and/or rocket launchers. Thats why they're there.
    its people like you that make me put a c4 charge on my jeeps when im setting up to kill incoming choppers.

Yes. Because teamkilling someone is much better than taking a jeep.

And if there is a chopper coming in then I'll stay and help you fight it. But im sticking to my position on this. If theres no one around, and I have a long distance to run and you're sitting on the only available vehicle putting it to no use then I will use it to get to where the action is.

Each to their own I guess , I would never take a vehicle if someone else is in it , i'd probably sit in the other gun position and give the old "go go go" shout and see what happens . If he responds with a "negative" then you know he has something in mind , if he doesn't respond at all then you know he is away in lala land and off you go with him in tow , he might wake up and shoot something when you get there .

But there is nothing(almost) more maddening than someone driving off in a jeep while you are awaiting an attack that you know is comming but he hasn't a clue about .

static defenses have very very limited arcs of fire, jeeps and apcs dont BECAUSE they are mobile
    and that makes them better in defense.

and yes id rather teamkill you than let you run off with something i was using.

jaggeh wrote:
    and yes id rather teamkill you

Well then you havn't a leg to stand on when it comes to the gaming etiqutte question then do you?
    than let you run off with something i was using

Thats part of the issue. I'd only take it if you obviously weren't putting it to any good.

Zillah wrote:
    I'd only take it if you obviously weren't putting it to any good.

But you are relying on your opinion of it "being put to any good" , when the person sitting there might have more info than you .

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Zillah wrote:
    Thats part of the issue. I'd only take it if you obviously weren't putting it to any good.
    in your opinion, the rest of us call it defense.
    A mounted machine gun has 360 degree coverage and also much better inclination range than the mounted guns. Also you can move it to a less exposed place (behind a building, in trees) and shoot down choppers or approaching inf.

You sound very much like an immature solo player just trying to build your own score/rank.
    Good luck to you, but stay the hell our of my way or Im TK-ing your ass.

GreeBo wrote:
    You sound very much like an immature solo player just trying to build your own score/rank.
    Good luck to you, but stay the hell our of my way or Im TK-ing your ass.

Does that not strike you as being very ironic?

Im not a solo player, I dont give a sh1te about rank and you have absolutely no basis on which to judge my maturity.

You however, have just informed me that you'll teamkill if I interfere with how you want to play.

Lets not turn this into a childish flaming match.
    But you are relying on your opinion of it "being put to any good"

So are you...Its all anyone can do. You're assuming that you guarding this flag with a jeep is serving more good than me being on the front where flags are being actively fought over.
    when the person sitting there might have more info than you .

And then again they might be some confused noob who wants to spend the next ten minutes hanging around hoping to get 4+ kills from a fully loaded blackhawk just to get the points.

Its very easy to demonise me after you've had people steal vehicles out from under you, and it must feel great to be able to finally insult "that guy", but I've already made it quite clear that if there is a any reason to believe that a chopper is incoming then I'll stay and help fight it. But I believe you're some ass whos just wasting my time, his time and a jeep, then I'll take it.

Please don't assume that because im willing to take a jeep someone is sitting in that it was me that fcked you over last time.

And I wouldn't do it on small maps like Mashtuur. I'm talking about the motherckers of Operation Clean Sweep and the like.

Do you think its fair to make someone go trudging off on a three mile hike so you can have a gun post?

• Advertisement

I'm pretty much done with this conversation , and if you take a jeep out from under me you won't have to worry about being Tk'ed , I only do that with my stupidly place nades or arty . You were pretty quick with your statement to take jeeps in your first post and I think thats what annoyed most ppl .
    I do find that the more ppl get into the game and the teamwork the less they care about the points and the ranks , and with this in mind you will find more and more ppl willing to stay behind and guard flags and not be worried about their end score as long as they are on the winning team .

Advertisement