Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ban History?

Options
  • 06-10-2005 5:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭

There have been a few times when I've come across a user who I had my doubts about and wanted to know if what they posted was to be taken seriously or if they were just making crap up to be a nuisance. This brings me to my suggestion....

A "Ban History" box in everyone's profile.

It's pretty self-explanatory. It would be a box (or perhaps just another heading in the Additional Information box) which would give a list of the user's past bans (if any) from whatever forums along with a bit of detail (e.g. date of ban, length). Something like this:....

Interests:
    Stuff.
    Life form.
    Bans:
    6/10/2003 - After Hours - 3 Weeks
    4/3/2004 - Feedback - 2 Weeks
    7/7/2005 - Personal Issues - Permanent
    10/10/2005 - Site Ban - 3 Weeks

You get the idea.

The date is useful because you can tell if the person is still acting the muppet or if they haven't sinned in a while (and so are probably on the straight and narrow now); the specific forum is useful for obvious reasons; the length is useful because you can gauge how bad the offence was.
    I thought perhaps the name of the mod/Smod/Cmod/Admin who banned the person might be good also (so that you could put the ban in context of how you yourself view that mod's workings) but maybe it's not necessary. Also it's good to keep things simple.

Aside from being a gauge of character it could have 3 other uses (that I can think of right now):...

1. In the case of divilment, to help mods in deciding whether a user is a repeat offender or is a first timer (and so should perhaps only be given a slap on the wrist and a stern warning).

2. To discourage rule breaking as nobody would want a "black spot", so to speak, on their user profile.

3. To lower the amount of, "Why was I banned from the ________ forum?!" threads by letting people know how long their ban is and who to contact for information (i.e. the mod who did the banning).

As an extra feature the info. could hyperlink to the post/thread which caused the user to receive the ban in question. Like how the list of a mods controlled forums all hyperlink to those forums.

It's all a bit like putting tax evaders' names in the paper, only with more practical uses than punitive ones. Opinions?

Will you support Ban Histories? 39 votes

Yes, I think it's a practical idea.
    0%
    No, I don't like the idea.
    100%
    MiCr0StephenampDaveLemmingnesfmike65AnimaFarlsGoneShootinseamusbilly the squidOur man in HavanaChongRabiesSilverfishGuy:IncognitoeirebhoyWizZardrobo 39 votes
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

I think it's actually quite a good idea.

Although there are arguments in opposition to it that i can see too.
    Such as the "second chance" thing.

Should I hold something against you that you have done in the past but never intend to do again? eg. honest mistakes

It might be better to limit this functionality to Mods, or even SMods? Those to whom it may make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Kinda sounds like Nazi type Jew Branding to me.

As such, its perfect for Boards and should be monitored by Ecksor!

Seriously, I think its a bad idea. Why would it matter if someone acts the maggot now and again. Its only a discussion forum so relax. If the muppetry is enough to get a site ban then fair enough, they are gone. Otherwise once the ban is over, the banned person is the same as every user again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

WizZard wrote:
    Should I hold something against you that you have done in the past but never intend to do again? eg. honest mistakes
    Well, if it was an honest mistake then after a while it'll have been a fair time ago and so people won't think you're still a muppet. Also it would of course be up to the individual user whether or not to put any importance on the user's record. Also the hyperlinking function would be good for that e.g. you see someone with a permanent ban from the Games forum and when you click to see what happened you find that the guy didn't realise you couldn't ask about warezzzzzzz, so you disregard the honest mistake.

It might be better to limit this functionality to Mods, or even SMods? Those to whom it may make a difference.
    Well if that's what's necessary to make it happen then fair enough but I think the more the merrier, heh.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

WizZard wrote:

what makes you think we don't already have this function....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

Why don't you write the code for it and then ask if it's a great idea?

• Advertisement

Well, I'll try, but if my code somehow EXPLODES THE INTERNET it's not my fault.

I was thinking of a kind of system where when a mod bans a user they have to enter in the appropriate details (i.e. date, duration) which would then be put in the user's profile and would automatically hyperlink to the post that the mod clicked on in order to ban the user.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

I think it's a good idea. It's a nice combination of two things I've wanted to do but never really figured out a nice way of doing them. Now that you mention it like that I think we could probably implement it in such a way that doesn't "brand" people in their profile but does keep a decent record for instances where it might be useful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Yup, it could be handy if mods could see it for people who post in their forums. But I really don't like the idea of "branding" - it could lead to ridiculous trends like people boasting about and trying to lengthen their ban lists. (Hey - look how people went crazy with rep)!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Yea it shouldn't be public at all except to the person who owns the profile and the cmods+admins.

If you think someone is a muppet you should ask in the mod forum as people keep track there.

Btw there is a history log in each forum. When you unban someone they stay visible in the forum mask.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I heartly give this product and/or service the amp seal of approval. Congratulations!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

I think its a silly idea, I've been banned from 2 forums, Games cause amp didn't like me, but i was acting like a twat so fair enough :) and Feedback for replying to a thread "reply here and get banned" heh. So in some instances yes it might be useful but i'm very much against branding people, a lot of people are muppets when they first join but calm down after a while.

Soggy cabbage of approval, withheld.

//edit
    Hobbes wrote:
    Yea it shouldn't be public at all except to the person who owns the profile and the cmods+admins.

If you think someone is a muppet you should ask in the mod forum as people keep track there.

Btw there is a history log in each forum. When you unban someone they stay visible in the forum mask.

yeah thats fair enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

crap i meant to say yes, :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

The more negative aspects of it could be dealt with with a sort of statute of limitiations, if bans more than a year old got wiped then someone who's copped on a bit wouldn't be unfairly labelled.

azezil wrote:
    I think its a silly idea, I've been banned from 2 forums, Games cause amp didn't like me, but i was acting like a twat so fair enough :) and Feedback for replying to a thread "reply here and get banned" heh . So in some instances yes it might be useful but i'm very much against branding people, a lot of people are muppets when they first join but calm down after a while.
    Well first off I don't think it would be made retro-active so at the beginning all would have a clean slate (though I'm not the one who would be setting it up so...).

I'm honestly not sure what people mean by "branding." The profile would only be a true representation of the user's past actions. You make a good point though in that one of your bans was, "for replying to a thread "reply here and get banned" heh." This would be the reason for the hotlinking, so that people could get a clear picture of your offences. In your case that ban is forgettable.

Talliesin wrote:
    The more negative aspects of it could be dealt with with a sort of statute of limitiations, if bans more than a year old got wiped then someone who's copped on a bit wouldn't be unfairly labelled.
    I like the way you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

OT: Who broke amp?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

I agree gets my seal of approval.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

It's a solid idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Could be useful.

I don't see how it's branding though. Getting a temp ban happens to most people tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭AndyWarhol

It's kinda like having a criminal record.

Could we have a probation of offenders act so that persons who may have slipped in the heat of the moment aren't branded for the rest of their boards.ie lives?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

AndyWarhol wrote:
    It's kinda like having a criminal record.

Could we have a probation of offenders act so that persons who may have slipped in the heat of the moment aren't branded for the rest of their boards.ie lives?
    Heh...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Diarmsquid

I think it's a great idea, if you add in Talliesin's bit.
    I got banned for a week from the JC forum a while back, but I'm a good boy now, so if it was cleared regularly it be good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭AndyWarhol

Ok, for the record I'm banned from:

- Politics (for calling hairyheretic a heretic)
    - TCD (for being vehemently opposed to the TCDSU's liberal agenda [mods are directly involved with this plague of an organisation that purports to being representative of the views of TCD students when in fact most students have more important things to be worrying about than Coca-Cola bans and 'shag week'])

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

AndyWarhol wrote:
    'shag week'

*perks up*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

CuLT wrote:
    *perks up*
    Sexual health something something...

We have that in DCU too CuLT...

steveland? wrote:
    Sexual health something something...

We have that in DCU too CuLT...
    Oh yes, I forgot :/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

AndyWarhol wrote:
    Ok, for the record I'm banned from:

- Politics (for calling hairyheretic a heretic)
    - TCD (for being vehemently opposed to the TCDSU's liberal agenda [mods are directly involved with this plague of an organisation that purports to being representative of the views of TCD students when in fact most students have more important things to be worrying about than Coca-Cola bans and 'shag week'])

the students voted for the ban on coca cola i thought. TCD is not the only college doing it so the majority of students do care about it.

coca cola is rank anyway.

anyway back on topic

I approve of the idea if it can be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I think this is a bad idea.

Boards.ie is already very serious/strict.

Making it more "ooooh he was banned previously" will just totally stifle (sp?) people being themselves. It'll just make it more conformist (not a good thing.)

dublindude wrote:
    I think this is a bad idea.

Boards.ie is already very serious/strict.

Making it more "ooooh he was banned previously" will just totally stifle (sp?) people being themselves. It'll just make it more conformist (not a good thing.)
    Yes, because conforming is always a bad thing rolleyes.gif

thumbsup9sp.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

CuLT wrote:
    Yes, because conforming is always a bad thing rolleyes.gif

thumbsup9sp.jpg

Yes, it is when it starts getting out of hand. A ban history will turn an already strict website into a totally strict website. This is not how "conversations" flow.

I like Boards.ie, but making it stricter is not the way to go.

And stop trying to be a smartass. What was your point anyway?

• Advertisement

dublindude wrote:
    What was your point anyway?

That your "conformism is bad" point was either arrogant or just stupid.

Advertisement