Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems connecting to Smart with Linksys Wireless router.

• 06-10-2005 5:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I am hoping that someone else here has had the same problem as me when trying to connect to smart BB with their own router. I bought myself a linksys wireless wag54gs thinking it is a nice piece of kit, being cisco branded and all, but cant get it to connect to Smart.
    I have the wireless side connected but not the dsl connection to Smart, it wont work.
    Smart say that all I need is the VPI and the VCI values and user and password. I have set those values but the linksys has a lot more, I have played with some of the other settings but cant get it to connect no matter what I try.
    Any help would be much appreciated on this as smart can only help so far with the device as it is not theirs to support and linksys online support is ... well online support, same questions asked again and again despite lucid answers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

Set the Smart router into bridge mode.

I remember reading the instructions posted by Garfield a while ago but since search is down I can't find it.

Something along the lines of WAN setup, change current PPPoE to something crazy, 1, 34 for example.

Create new connection PureBridge and set VCI VPI settings accordingly.

Then plug a cable from the router into the WAN port of your Linksys and should only have to set the username and password.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

TimTim wrote:
    Set the Smart router into bridge mode.

I remember reading the instructions posted by Garfield a while ago but since search is down I can't find it.

Something along the lines of WAN setup, change current PPPoE to something crazy, 1, 34 for example.

Create new connection PureBridge and set VCI VPI settings accordingly.

Then plug a cable from the router into the WAN port of your Linksys and should only have to set the username and password.

If I wanted to do that I could have bought a much cheaper Wireless Acess point. I want to use the cisco firewall etc so would appreciate if anyone has the information on how to use it as a primary router connected directly to the internet, thanks for the try TimTim.

So does anyone have the information on how to do this, not in bridge mode, but in PPPoE mode.

Blub2k4 wrote:
    If I wanted to do that I could have bought a much cheaper Wireless Acess point. I want to use the cisco firewall etc so would appreciate if anyone has the information on how to use it as a primary router connected directly to the internet, thanks for the try TimTim.

So does anyone have the information on how to do this, not in bridge mode, but in PPPoE mode.

What details do you need and I could try give you a dig out.

Edit: I'd throw you a list but I can't find a bloody manual for it anywhere.

Murphys law or whatever but I found one, hehe

Multiplexing: LLC
    QOS Type: Make your own decision
    PCR/SCR Rate: Look in the manual to see what it should be divided on,
    Autodetect: Disable
    VPI: 8 VCI: 35
    Connection type: PPPoE
    Select keep alive.

That should do the basic settings.

Smart seem to have put up a nice little support site with all this kinda info, you should check it out if you need any more info. Smart's Support Site

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

The wag54gv2 doesnt have an ethernet wan port so he cant set it to work via the Smart modem in bridge mode. (I assume its a v2 you have Blub2k4? - If not do not use the firmware below!).

If the smart modem is working correctly, check what modulation its using on its admin page. (Probably g.dmt)

Check what modulation the linksys is using (They often default to t1.413, an older american standard).

According to...
    ftp://ftp.linksys.com/international/firmware/WAG54Gv2releasenotes1.01.txt

You should be able to change this to G.dmt somewhere, at least from the firmware version mentioned in the link (Released in June this year).

See if that makes a difference.

Latest International firmware is...

ftp://ftp.linksys.com/international/firmware/WAG54GV2-AU_AnnexA_ETSI_v1.01.00_000_code.bin

Available from...

ftp://ftp.linksys.com/international/firmware/

<edit> I just noticed that there is a 'wag54gs' model listed on the FTP site, however the only firmware available for it is the one it came with. Its possible that you already have the option to change the modulation on that model already. </edit>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

I think I have the same type of router or very near to it.

I'm attaching a screenshot with the settings I use. Absolutely rock solid compared to the Aolynk router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Sarn

I have the Wag54g as well, the one I got initially was faulty as it wouldn't connect to my ISP (EsatBT) so it had to be exchanged. They replaced it with an older edition with older firmware.

Do yourself a favour and don't google the faults with this product, it has a long history. Fortunately the replacement I have now works pretty solidly.

What I have noticed is that it can often take up to 30 mins to connect to my ISP (which is why I leave it on continuously). Might be worth waiting. I turn it off every few months usually when I update my wireless security settings.

Edit: I'll add the firware version when I get home.

machalla wrote:
    I think I have the same type of router or very near to it.

I'm attaching a screenshot with the settings I use. Absolutely rock solid compared to the Aolynk router.

Looks just like the settings I am using, strange.

Sarn: Do you know what firmware you are using at the moment?
    Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭bbbbb

Blub2k4, I have the same piece of kit (bought about a year and a half ago), and made the switch over to smart about 4-5 months ago, no problems getting it working (probably because the Esat BT settings were very similar).

Unfortunately I'm in the office now, heading to the pub after work, and flying out early tomorrow morning for a weeks holiday. Hopefully Sarn or one of the others can help, but if you're still having problems in a weeks time, PM me & I can let you know my setup.

ok well for now I have it working in bridge mode just to stop the ethernet cable trailing all through the apartment.
    bbbbb, I would really appreciate the help when you get back cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I have the wag54gs working fine with smart. First thing to remember is that it is an all in one so dont go near the Smart router with it - your sign in and password given to you by smart and the ppoe 8 and 35 should be all you need to put in on the basic settings page to connect.

If that does not do it for you there is always a chance that there is fault in it.

Thanks for that Dub45, I am aware that it is an all in one unit but am using bridge mode because it wont connect directly. I flashed it with the 1.00.06 firmware and it still wont connect. You dont by any chance know what firmware your unit is on? I opened a call with Linksys and they have authorised an RMA but I would still be interested in your firmware version for my technical curiosity and also they will test in house, because now I have tried 1.00.02 and the 1.00.06 and both were unsuccessful, the fact that you say the settings are indeed as simple as I thought, I felt I MAY have been missing something there as the linksys has a lot more than the aolynk in terms of settings, but you confirm it is probably a hardware issue. If you had that info I would be grateful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Sarn

I feel your pain. It's the wag54g I have with 1.00.7 firmware, different model unfortunately. I have disabled local DHCP server and assigned it manually.

My client lease time is at max, everything is the same as TimTim.

Service, host and domain name is blank.

Have you done a full reset on the router as well and started from scratch?
    Also check none of your cables are faulty, one I got originally was.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Blub2k4 wrote:
    Thanks for that Dub45, I am aware that it is an all in one unit but am using bridge mode because it wont connect directly. I flashed it with the 1.00.06 firmware and it still wont connect. You dont by any chance know what firmware your unit is on? I opened a call with Linksys and they have authorised an RMA but I would still be interested in your firmware version for my technical curiosity and also they will test in house, because now I have tried 1.00.02 and the 1.00.06 and both were unsuccessful, the fact that you say the settings are indeed as simple as I thought, I felt I MAY have been missing something there as the linksys has a lot more than the aolynk in terms of settings, but you confirm it is probably a hardware issue. If you had that info I would be grateful.

I have the original firmware
    Firmware Version: V1.00.02
    that's it direct from the horse's mouth so to speak? Are you in Dublin?

dub45 wrote:
    I have the original firmware that's it direct from the horse's mouth so to speak? Are you in Dublin?

Version 1.00.02, is what I had on it before I updated to 06, am happy now that there is a case for an RMA and they wont send it back tested and make me look silly, thanks for that.

<edit> forgot to answer the other bit, yes I am in Dublin.

Advertisement