Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would Ireland be like if we'd stayed in the Union?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Heh! I'd probably be a total nationalist if we were in the Union! (As would many others in what is now the Republic).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

simu wrote:
    Heh! I'd probably be a total nationalist if we were in the Union! (As would many others in what is now the Republic).

You might be - hey I might even be. Difficult to know for sure really how things would have panned out if history was different. There's a reason why we all have our beliefs about things and that's presumably shaped by events.

luckat wrote:
    Forget that one, dear.
    And you can forget posting rights in politics if you're not carefull.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

Some points: Roads are worse in the north, cross from Monaghan into Tyrone the roads worsen.
    Most Irish soldiers on the Somme were Catholic.
    Scotland's econmy may be 'recovering' but it is still ****ed and that is in large part because of the Anglo centric nature of British life.

Ireland's actions in WW2 were hardly comparable to Switzerland we didn't steal billions in Jewish gold. Frankly I think the swiss should have been 'dealt with' after the war and I would hope that they will be the first to experience nuclear terrorism (except for the possible consequences environmentally).

Without Independence you have a maximum Irish population of 2.5 million. We can expect a pattern of famine and murder to last until the present day, as in every generation the Irish people would rise up and be crushed by the British jackboot. Probably the establishmnet would have resorted to mass sterilisation and/or extermination to control the situation, in the same way that they did in Bengal during the 1940s.

As British culture fell into its long decline durieng the 1960s; the establishment would have resented our ability to keep ourselves decent and we could have seen rape camps established in Ireland. Probably the establishment would used white slavery in a big way to break our will. This would have failed. There would be no Polish girls in Dublin and average salaries would be about STG 85 per week. Hundreds of thousands would be political prisoners.

On the upside property prices would be much lower and the IRA (equivalent) campaign might have included nuclear terrorism in London.

Nuclear terrorism is bad, but I don't like London and irrespective of the human cost (which at any rate is borne by other people) tht sort of movie style attack is pretty cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

You know, I just never know when people are serious on this site.

And what is a 'rape camp'?

• Advertisement

Rape is often used as weapon of war and this sort of evil seems especially suited to the modern English character. The most famous example in the past 60 years is the behaviour of the Russian Armyin eastern germany and western poland.

http://www.haverford.edu/relg/sells/rape2.html

What I mean is that since one can't imagine an Irishwoman behaving like a Jordan or that other one who's even worse, the establishment would force Irish women to adopt that sort of role.

What I mean is that since one can't imagine an Irishwoman behaving like a Jordan or that other one who's even worse, the establishment would force Irish women to adopt that sort of role.

WTF? What about Amanda Brunker, for a start?

You have some rather odd views on Irish women - pray tell more...

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

As British culture fell into its long decline durieng the 1960s; the establishment would have resented our ability to keep ourselves decent and we could have seen rape camps established in Ireland.
    I swear, there isn't a :rolleyes: big enough...
    Nuclear terrorism is bad, but I don't like London and irrespective of the human cost (which at any rate is borne by other people) tht sort of movie style attack is pretty cool.
    ...pretty cool...?

Jesus. Wept.

Is Amanda Brunker as bad as Jordan or Jodie Marsh?
    Of course nuclear terrorism could never be cool. But if Ireland was subjugated and starving because we were still in the Union..

But maybe a nuke in London would kill so many people that one wouldn't think that. Nah London sucks and since Londoners are the reason it sucks

If Ireland was still in the Union he establishment would retaliate with a virus targeted to kill people of Irish Ancestry, but that would kill alot of their own 'English' people. The government would fall in England and a fascist government led by Michael Heseltine would come to power.

They would implement a Malaya style solution to the crisis, putting the whole population of Ireland in camps.

Britain would now be an international pariah and the USA led by president de Valera would invade and liberate ireland; we would become the 67th state of the USA.:)

Britain would now be an international pariah and the USA led by president de Valera would invade and liberate ireland; we would become the 67th state of the USA.:)

All hail the Zombie President! He'd be about 120 by now, you know...

• Advertisement

As I've already pointed out if Ireland had stayed in the union the establishment would have biological weapons that target specific ethnicities. Obviously lifespans could be far longer.

But the presient de Valera who would invade the UK would be Sile de Valera.

Of course now we're really for it as Irish conscripts are sent to Mars to try and control the colonial uprising there. Sile de Valera insists that Mars is and always will be American soil.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

After all be honest when the world trade centre fell over was your first thought 'oh those poor people' or was it 'cool'.
    I can vividly remember that day, and one of the things I remember most clearly was the sick feeling in the pit of my stomach.

Of all the things I ever consider "cool", I sincerely hope mass murder never figures among them. If it does, I'll have to consider myself a sick, twisted, despicable waste of skin.

That's me being honest.

Shortly thereafter, Queen Elizabeth and her henchthing Darth Thatcher begin work on a that's-no-moon, no doubt.

(I must clarify that this concerns Mountainy's little alternate history experiment, and not the World Trade Center. Obviously).

The value of shares in tin foil hat companies would rise...

If Ireland had stayed in the Union the establishment would probably have reached the moon first and claimed it in the name of the queen. After the Invasion the Royal family would flee to new london the lunar capital; the British would be funding the martian colonists. Meanwhile Ireland is a centre of the anti war movement as the bodybags come back from space.

The no moon is actually being built by the Belgians, if Ireland had stayed in the Union Belgium would have large mining perations in the asterid belt.

Oscar Bravo, if Ireland had stayed in the Union your point of view might be very different.
    Thank you for your honesty it is a sterling quality and one of the most important for a gentleman.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

This thread has decended into farce, closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement