Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government Annoying You? How to Annoy Them Back

Options
  • 06-10-2005 8:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

All the waste of public money, with e-voting, consultants etc, the M50 toll bridge, traffic gridlock, scandals, rip offs etc, the contempt they treat us with - they deserve a bloody nose in the next election.

In the mean time... DON'T PLAY THE LOTTO!!!

It's just another source of revenue for them to squander. It's a tax on the poorest and most needy. You can donate to good causes directly if you wish, just don't let those incompetent clowns in Leinster House near any more of your hard earned cash than necessary.

At least try it for a month.

Who is with me?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭black_jack

maisto wrote:
    All the waste of public money, with e-voting, consultants etc, the M50 toll bridge, traffic gridlock, scandals, rip offs etc, the contempt they treat us with - they deserve a bloody nose in the next election.

It's just another source of revenue for them to squander. It's a tax on the poorest and most needy. You can donate to good causes directly if you wish, just don't let those incompetent clowns in Leinster House near any more of your hard earned cash than necessary.

Who is with me?

We called it the stupid tax, the stupidier you are the more you pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 maisto

black_jack wrote:

Exactly, but it's the one tax, they CAN'T MAKE YOU PAY

maisto wrote:
    Exactly, but it's the one tax, they CAN'T MAKE YOU PAY

I can avoid road tax by not owning a car.

I'd suggest trying to organise a campaign among people who actually play it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Gambling. It is a persons own choice.

Some have indeed addictions such as compulsive gambling.

But the Lotto does raise money for good causes in sports facititys.

It is thru sport that better fittness and health can be achieved.

So - the Lotto is not all bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I've always refused to play the Lotto because, and I hope this doesn't sound too snobbish, personally I think it's the last refuge of the unambitious.

I've always found it hypocritical that slot-machines are banned in Dublin, yet a couple of times I've been in several newsagents I've seen people (mostly women) buy scratchcards by the dozen and complusively scratch them right there in the shop and buy more.

A better way to annoy the Government (i.e. the current FF/PD junta) is simply not to vote for them.

But the funny thing is, no matter who you vote for, the Government always gets in. I see FG/LB as being potentially as useless as the current bunch of donkeys (apologies to all donkeys reading this).

• Advertisement

I've always refused to play the Lotto because, and I hope this doesn't sound too snobbish, personally I think it's the last refuge of the unambitious.

I've always found it hypocritical that slot-machines are banned in Dublin, yet a couple of times I've been in several newsagents I've seen people (mostly women) buy scratchcards by the dozen and complusively scratch them right there in the shop and buy more.

A better way to annoy the Government (i.e. the current FF/PD junta) is simply not to vote for them.

But the funny thing is, no matter who you vote for, the Government always gets in. I see FG/LB as being potentially as useless as the current bunch of donkeys (apologies to all donkeys reading this).

I saw a woman with two Children in Mullinghar spend 30euro on quid pix, 30 quid she and her children looked like they could ill afford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

black_jack wrote:

But I haven't won yet, so I must win in the next little while ... right? ... guys ... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 maisto

Cork wrote:
    Gambling. It is a persons own choice.

Some have indeed addictions such as compulsive gambling.

But the Lotto does raise money for good causes in sports facititys.

It is thru sport that better fittness and health can be achieved.

So - the Lotto is not all bad.

Want to support sports? Take part, volunteer or donate to a club. Very little of the Lotto money actually goes to sports facilities anyway. The Lotto has been around for quite a while now, so where are all the facilities? One leaky swimming pool in Blanchardstown does not make a sports infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

maisto wrote:

Who is with me?

Lotto : A tax on people who are bad at maths..

maisto wrote:
    One leaky swimming pool in Blanchardstown does not make a sports infrastructure.

Are you serious?

I take it you're not involved in sports. I could name at least 50 projects that have benefitted, including the club I'm involved in where we went from hgaving nothing to two state of the art pitches. Would have been a long time collecting the 200k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

I'm still trying to understand the logic.

The Lotto isn't controlled by the government in the first place.

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

And how is it squandered? According to their 2004 Annual Report, 85% of their revenue goes back to the community as prizes or grants. Maybe that could be improved slightly, but the operating costs are pretty substantial. So, [strike] squandered [/strike]

I agree with the "tax on being bad at maths" judgement - but it's a separate issue. And it's a free will thing. Another issue might be the way the grants are given out - I've no knowledge of the system, is it considered fair?

But, the big question to you is 'how would a Lotto boycott affect the government at all?' What's the connection?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,418 ✭✭✭✭Victor

bonkey wrote:
    The Lotto isn't controlled by the government in the first place.
    Spending the proceeds is.

Advertisement