Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Failure of Tech Journalism (From another forum)

• 12-09-2001 6:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,562 ✭✭✭

author=steve_gilliard date=08/26/01 at 00:54:47

As I write this, I'm watching a documentary called Breaking the News, commissioned by the Museum of Radio and Television. It's about the exploits of the big TV anchors, who, for some reason, seem to always wind up close to combat. I.e., Ed Bradley asking a Klansman whether black people should vote. The general question seems to be: "how close can you get to combat and not get killed"?

Journalism is serious business. It may not seem that way some days, but it is. Too bad the online journalists, with their big parties and their fancy offices, never got it. In the real world of journalism, people report from their homes, from foxholes, from hotels without water. No one needs $60 million in leases to be a good reporter.

In theory, there is no reason that a publication can't cover IT, make money and still function. The only reason that they didn't (Red Herring is about to chop half their staff) is that they forgot what business they were in.

Click here for more!

>
    >
    >

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Biting the hand that feeds IT

http://www.theregister.co.uk

Good tech site if a little over bitchy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Originally posted by yellum
    Biting the hand that feeds IT

http://www.theregister.co.uk

Good tech site if a little over bitchy.

"The tabloid of the online news industry" :)

Al.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,567 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

The Reg always provides some light entertainment midst sedate reports of profit warnings, falling demand etc.

Yesterday's piece about the sex cheat vicar was inspired.

Advertisement