Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Broadband

• 07-10-2005 4:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭

Just got a call from NTL to say that their broadband service is eventually available in my area (Glasnevin).

Anyone have it already? Whats your opinions of their service?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

lafors wrote:
    Just got a call from NTL to say that their broadband service is eventually available in my area (Glasnevin).

Probably the best on the market (except in Dungarven). Go for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭s_gr

lafors wrote:

What parts of glasnevin is NTL broadband now active in? I live in Glasnevin so was just wondering?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

As Paulm said, probably the best on the market, I've had it since the start of the year, and it went down once. Called tech support and they said there was a problem with one of their servers - gave me a proxy address and back to full speed. Great service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

NTL is simply the best mate!

low latency and high dl's and ul's

and they a for a reasonable price too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭branners69

bruachain wrote:
    As Paulm said, probably the best on the market, I've had it since the start of the year, and it went down once. Called tech support and they said there was a problem with one of their servers - gave me a proxy address and back to full speed. Great service.

I am also interested in getting NTL in, probs in a couple of weeks in the Clare Hall area, Dublin 13..

Is their €35 per month package any good??

I am thinking of getting the TV around the house with Sky+ in the main TV room, do they offer any discounts by having a number of services with them??

Thanx in advance for any replies!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Marcopolo85

lafors wrote:

Super! See attached screenshot of speed test on 1 Meg circuit. :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

branners69 wrote:
    Is their €35 per month package any good??

Yes it is very good, all three packages have the same excellent low latency and high uptime, the only difference being the speeds.
    branners69 wrote:
    I am thinking of getting the TV around the house with Sky+ in the main TV room, do they offer any discounts by having a number of services with them??
    :eek:
    Well when I signed up a few months ago I got the analogue TV service free for 12 months (worth €20 per month), I don't know if they still offer that, but worth asking.

The Digital TV service costs an extra €10 and each extra Digital TV box after that costs only €5.

I can understand why you want to keep Sky+, PVR's are excellent, I use a hacked Tivo with NTL Digital, however it isn't for most people, BTW NTL is supposed to be working on their own PVR service :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭branners69

bk wrote:
    Yes it is very good, all three packages have the same excellent low latency and high uptime, the only difference being the speeds.

:eek:
    Well when I signed up a few months ago I got the analogue TV service free for 12 months (worth €20 per month), I don't know if they still offer that, but worth asking.

The Digital TV service costs an extra €10 and each extra Digital TV box after that costs only €5.

I can understand why you want to keep Sky+, PVR's are excellent, I use a hacked Tivo with NTL Digital, however it isn't for most people, BTW NTL is supposed to be working on their own PVR service :)

@BK many thanx for the reply.. I have pm'd you a couple of NTL Digital questions if you dont mind!!

I dont want to rob the OP's thread..

One final NTL Broadband question:

Can you go over your 30gb cap with out getting stung by a charge?? Not that I would probably need to, but just in case!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

s_gr wrote:
    What parts of glasnevin is NTL broadband now active in? I live in Glasnevin so was just wondering?

Well I'm in addsion park just beside the met centre. They haven't got an updated list on the site. Just give them a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭brian_ire

branners69 wrote:
    Can you go over your 30gb cap with out getting stung by a charge?? Not that I would probably need to, but just in case!!

NTL do not charge for going over the limit. At most they'll get in touch and tell you to take it easy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

I find when I let downloads run over night that I lose the internet connection at some stage during the night.
    All the lights stay working on the modem, but no pages will load. Have to turn off the modem for a while get reconnect. It's very annoying.

But other than that NTL is great. Very fast and good value.

I find when I let downloads run over night that I lose the internet connection at some stage during the night.
    All the lights stay working on the modem, but no pages will load. Have to turn off the modem for a while get reconnect. It's very annoying.

That's never happened to me. I wouldn't download over night often though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Dara Robinson

had a friend that had that problem... it could be something to do with the quality of your phone line of the exchange that when there is a constant flow of 2 much info it overloads and your dsl modem dissconnects or something like that.
    We used to find that we would go to his PC, start a download through a download program (I asume that this only happend withdl programs cause he could set a few and max out his line) and come back after a movie or food and the connection seemed to be live but could not get anything.
    But when we simply turned off the modem and re-started it it was fine.

He has moved since and this has not happend even one, and when I has my DSL modem it never happend to me. very odd

had a friend that had that problem... it could be something to do with the quality of your phone line of the exchange that when there is a constant flow of 2 much info it overloads and your dsl modem dissconnects or something like that.
    We used to find that we would go to his PC, start a download through a download program (I asume that this only happend withdl programs cause he could set a few and max out his line) and come back after a movie or food and the connection seemed to be live but could not get anything.
    But when we simply turned off the modem and re-started it it was fine.

He has moved since and this has not happend even one, and when I has my DSL modem it never happend to me. very odd

NTL isn't DSL, it's cable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

i had that problem too. changed from usb to ethernet and it was gone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

I use ethernet, so it's not that. I'll try throttling the download speed a bit and see how that goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Dara Robinson

paulm17781 wrote:
    NTL isn't DSL, it's cable.
    DSL, Cable, 56k Modem, what ever, I think its do to with the exchanges and the other hard-wired equipment that problably have not been upgraded properly, I used to get something very simular to what he was discribing when I was using my 56k modem. Redailing always fixed it but it only seemed to happen when I maxed out my like constant for a long time

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

DSL, Cable, 56k Modem, what ever, I think its do to with the exchanges and the other hard-wired equipment that problably have not been upgraded properly

Given that all the above mentioned use completely different technology, which simply have nothing in common, you can't just pile them all in the same basket.

Cable uses hybrid fibre coaxial (HFC) infrastructure, that means fibre optic cable to the Cable Modem Termination System (CMTS) in your local area and then it uses shielded coaxial cable to the customers premise. Broadband is delivered over this infrastructure using the DOCSIS standard.

DSL on the other hand uses fibre optic to the local telphone exchange, where it connects using a DSLAM to the unshielded twisted pair cable that runs to your home. Broadband is delivered over this infrastructure using one of the xDSL standards.

So it is very unlikely you are seeing the same problem.

BTW I have had both 2m DSL in the past and 3m NTL now and I have never experienced this problem.

Advertisement