Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Another attempt to nick my Octavia vRS

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I was approached by some guy in North Strand who told me where I lived and worked and what times I worked but that they couldn't nick the car without the steering wheel on...

You mean a knacker car thief? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Bond-007 wrote:
    You mean a knacker car thief? :eek:

Yeah..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Why would a removable steering wheel be any more of a deterrent than an exterior wheel clamp ?? (As in a parking clamp)

MercMad wrote:
    Why would a removable steering wheel be any more of a deterrent than an exterior wheel clamp ?? (As in a parking clamp)
    Try steering a car with no steering wheel. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Bond-007 wrote:

speaking of which..

one of my brothers new 3 Series was broken into a couple of months ago. they were there for the sole purpose of taking the car with them - which thankfully they were unsuccessful in doing

BUT...

instead, the ripped the dash apart, took the BMW Business headunit - broke the mock carbon fibre dash trim and stole the steering wheel!! they left a vice grips on the steering rod that the wheel attaches to - i presume if they got it started they'd attempt to drive and steer using this :D

we came to the conclusion that the steering wheel was taken out of spite-to be a bast@rd so to speak OR for the purpose of using/selling the airbag/leather multifunction steering wheel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Bond-007 wrote:

Its very very possible to do with a vice grips,The ****s have a way around everything

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

eireal wrote:
    Its very very possible to do with a vice grips,The ****s have a way around everything

With the removable one what is left where the steering wheel is would be quite difficult to put vice grips on and even if they did maybe by some fluke they might has a nasty accident involving themselves. Anyway in all the years that I had the Civic it was never touched even parking in a mates house fairly regular in Civic city!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Why not get one of these bad boys?

7400500A62UC94675M.jpg
    Highly visable, Thatcham level 3 approved, they won't even bother breaking into the house for keys if they see it (whether they realise what Thatcham cat 3 defence means is another matter though ..) given the hassle getting it off the steering wheel.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

Longfield wrote:
    Why not get one of these bad boys?

7400500A62UC94675M.jpg
    .....QUOTE]
    i found my in the garden when local dudes tried to nick my CRX

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Jaysus! Am suprised!! they must REALLY have been determined !! this is cat 3 approved afterall!!..ok thats off the shopping list then .

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement

Cat 1 is yer only man!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

i say they where at it for a while . right outside the house too f3ckers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

I've had two Golf GTIs - a MKIV and now a MKV and never (touch wood) have had a problem.

I have two Rottweilers too though and one of them has a head as big as most humans :D

I have the full disc lock which is Thatcham approved which I use from time to time if leaving the car on the drive for more than a few hours.

Where I live (a decent part of Dublin) I have heard of 3 GTIs going in the night in the last few months so it's not the nicest feeling in the world knowing your hard earned car is a target. I try to avoid having to stop for petrol at night now too since I got the new GTI as they just attract too much attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

I had the full disk lock on my old CRX. A car that you could rob with a spoon. Had the car for three years and it was never touched. The one night I forgot to put it on, they tried to take it badly damaging the car in the process. Still have the lock in the shed somewhere.

Advertisement