Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Consumer Rights adivice needed please!

• 07-10-2005 8:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭

I bought a SE K750i on 5/8/05. The camera stopped working, brought it back to shop on 16/9/05 and they told me 7-10 days for it to be fixed. Rang 10 days later, they told me another week, another week later they said another 3 days. I've rang the people who are fixing it for the shop directly and they are waiting for parts that are going to take a week to get in, then i can imagine at least a week for them to fix it, and thats going on they're already bad estimates.

What I want to know is, what rights do I have with regards to this? I know I can accept repair, replacement or refund but its all a bit shady. They have sent it off for repair but are not obliged under law to have it fixed within a reasonable time by the looks of things. Whats stopping them from making me wait another month, or even a year?

Does anyone know for sure what the deal with this is?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

have you tried contacting the Office of the Director of Consumer Affairs to seek advice or see if they can do anything for you:
    http://www.odca.ie/

p.s. always take names and try to get things in writing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

Thanks Dub. Was already on the site consumerassociation.ie and it says pretty much the same thing

"Where goods have been used for a time and subsequently prove faulty the right to reject them may be lost. In such circumstances a repair or reject them may be the proper solution. A repair should be permanent. The circumstances of each case point to the appropriate remedy. For example, one cannot expect second-hand or 'shop soiled' goods to be of the same standard as new goods. "

There is no hard and fast as to what your rights are. They use terms likel "shortly after purchase" and "used for a time" etc. None of them tell me what my rights are when the phone is being repaired and taking ages also. I've tried ringing them but nobody answers, or returns calls left on the vm. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Complain to the customer care line of the shop if they have one.
    Have you tried that yet?

Pythia wrote:
    Complain to the customer care line of the shop if they have one.
    Have you tried that yet?

Its Pan TV on Camden street. They're only small. The manager is meant to ring me this morning (which he hasn't done yet) to sort something out for me. I want to be able to back him into a corner by quoting my rights (he's a real asshole), only he has my money and my phone, and i seem to have no come have no rights with regards to this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I suppose that's a problem when you don't choose a shoop from big chain of stores to buy from...?

• Advertisement

Yeh, its the price you pay alright. None of the big ones had them available when I bought it.

The update. I rang the ODCA, the girl told me that there is no reasonable time, but to her it is unreasonable. The manager rang me and I was able to quote her and mention the small claims court. He acted like a real asshole, I dont want to even repeat the crap that he was saying. I finally got him to give in to a refund (which he said he can only give me on Tuesday because the person who signs the cheques wont be in until then :confused: LIE!) Now he is reluctant to put that in a fax or email to me and still hasn't done so.

Thanks for your Help Dubw btw :)

Advertisement