Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Website templates - Advice needed

Options
  • 07-10-2005 9:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I'm a part time web designer and relatively well versed with HTML, Using Dreamweaver MX / Flash 8 and Photoshop CSV to produce my work.

I found a template site Template Monster and wondered if anyone had used any?

A mate gave me a few but I'm at a slight loss how to edit them to add my own content. The faq is a little heavy on the site itself,

I just want to know if it's a simple question of opening files in Flash and edit away...

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Cr8or

Most Template Monster templates need to be recut, mainly because they lack usability and are norm too bulky .. Cut the image up yourself and redo the html. Its more hassle than its worth trying to fix them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭tom-thebox

Our own site came from TM, it had to be recut and coded fully, and as Jay said the load time is pretty **** on a lot of them. Our flash was redone with our own voice over, we added our own drop down menus, added a few more title buttons, our own company mascot, few extra images etc..

I am pretty happy with it now and it gets good feedback all the time. It feels like we put as much work into changing it as we would have done getting a custom site. It was handy for me at the time as I was taken too long at creating a concept.

Never the less you still cant beat a custom built design.

Link in sig.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

tom-thebox wrote:
    Our own site came from TM, it had to be recut and coded fully, and as Jay said the load time is pretty **** on a lot of them. Our flash was redone with our own voice over, we added our own drop down menus, added a few more title buttons, our own company mascot, few extra images etc..

I am pretty happy with it now and it gets good feedback all the time. It feels like we put as much work into changing it as we would have done getting a custom site. It was handy for me at the time as I was taken too long at creating a concept.

Never the less you still cant beat a custom built design.

Link in sig.

Nice job - looks well... Where do I start though? - It's a flash template I have #6415 containing the following folders: PSD, html, fonts & flash...

I've uploaded the fonts directory, but just need to add my own text - Did you amend text in Flash timeline?! or do I use Dreamweaver?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

If you read the template monster documentation they'll tell you how to do the editing.

Personally I don't like TM sites as they all look so similar and cliched, but that's just my opinion.

sticker wrote:
    Nice job - looks well... Where do I start though? - It's a flash template I have #6415 containing the following folders: PSD, html, fonts & flash...

Hey Sticker

The link below is a good place to start

http://www.templatemonster.com/help/7

• Advertisement

tom-thebox wrote:
    Hey Sticker

The link below is a good place to start

http://www.templatemonster.com/help/7

Cheers... I've got the hang of it after a healthy session of editing the timeline in flash... not a whole lot of creative control though working in the timeline.

Think I'll go with the non-flash ones for quick sites.

Best of luck with your new project. :)

tom-thebox wrote:
    Best of luck with your new project. :)

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

this is/was a template monstor. I always use em :)

Advertisement