Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RE: Back/Shoulders waxing.

• 07-10-2005 9:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering if any of the lads here have had their back/shoulders waxed at any stage? Is it a painfull process? How long did it take the hairs to grow back?

I'm thinking of getting it done and had heard if you get it done right, in a professional establishment there is little pain involved. In fact the place I'm thinking of getting it done in advertises that it is relatively painless.

Any comments or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Of course they say its relatively painless.

But they're lying of course. Unless they use anathestic its going to hurt, they're ripping the hair out of your skin.

So yeah, it'll hurt, but be a big boy and you'll survive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

eh, compared with getting a bikini wax, I'd say back and shoulders would be a doddle. Go to a recommended beautican though. The better they are, the less pain. Some can be brutal!! :o

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

don't know why you'd bother tbh
    also
    you do know once you start, there's no going back, as hair will grow back thicker and longer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

electolosis tbh, but as ruthie says, i dont know why youd bother.
    but if it makes you feel better about yourself, go for it, and let us know how it turns out.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭s10

only problem is u may end up with spots where the hair was for a week , this happens if u sweat , or wear a new starched shirt etc.
    so if ur doing it to go on holiday id do i a week before hand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Larianne wrote:
    eh, compared with getting a bikini wax, I'd say back and shoulders would be a doddle. Go to a recommended beautican though. The better they are, the less pain. Some can be brutal!! :o
    I've been told by a beautician that a back/shoulder wax for a guy is the equivalent of a bikini wax for a girl! Pain-wise

OP: It should only hurt the first time.

There really is no going back though... And it will be costly.

As for hair growing back thicker and longer, this is untrue - if that was the case baldness would be cured by a wax!
    It will however feel stronger as short hair always does.
    Body hair grows to a certain length and then stays like that, it may get thicker or appear to get longer but it generally doesn't. It will slowly, very slowly, increase in length as you get older, but will also thin out too. So the difference isn't really noticable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

umm no, waxing weakens the hair follicle, its much better than shaving because the hair comes back weaker, and repeated waxing can even kill some follicles (although it wont get rid of the hair completely forever like)

there are places that do a progressive permanent method of waxing, supposed to kill it all after a certain number of treatments, but for permanent removal electrolysis or laser treatment is really the only definite answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭~Leanne~

Waxing makes the hair grow back thinner and finer, you will notice how sparse the hairs are as they grow back. All types of waxing are sore, we all know that, but the back is very supple (skin wise - not like the bikini area which is very tender!) so i shouldnt think it should be too painfull!

Id would highly reccommend you to get it done, i know speaking on behave of my friends and myself, women really do hate hair back hair on a guy!!! Your lovely new smooth back will be gorgoeus!!!!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭~Leanne~

pdunno wrote:
    ??
    Its gross!!!!! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭savoyard

Take a panadol or two before going in :D It will help numb you a bit.

Lasts up to six weeks (probably more like 3-4) and it doesn't grow back stronger: if anything it feels lighter and if you do it often enough, it does get a bit balder. The more you do it, the easier it gets. It's not pleasant but you won't be screaming in agony, unless you're a total wuss.... I actually do my man's back and although there's a bit of gritted teeth, he's quite brave about it and it really makes a bit difference to him, especially during the summer. 5 mins of pain for a smooth back is well worth it.

You do have to exfoliate to stop ingrowing hairs and spots(buy one of those loofah things), and some teatree moisturiser applied to the back for the first week or so does help a lot.

Go to a decent salon and they'll whip it off before you know what is going out. Think of us girls making small talk with the beautician as she rips our pubic hair off - though come to think of it, the embarrassment helps with the pain a bit...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

How much is electrolisis likely to be roughly for a guys shoulders/back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Panadol??!? Jesus... :D

I did it a few months ago and thought it was harmless enough. First 'rip' was a bit of a shock (not sore, though... like taking a plaster off). It was fine after that.

I was more worried about the stigma of getting a back wax, to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭s10

the hairs on my back grew back a little longer n wirey & i couldn't pull a bunch of them out at the same time anymore after the first time.
    The second time there were alot less of them growing back.

But then in another 10-15 years i wont have any hair on my legs chest back or head

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

I had mines done a few times, its not that sore...its kind of a "nice" pain if anything I thought. the sorest is the pulling out of single hairs :eek: . The big strips aren't that bad.

Also yes about the spots after it, I thought I had shingles last time I got it done. They disappeared after a few days. Women also seem to take great pride in doing this for you, all I have to do now is find another one to do it for me! Nice smooth back/shoulders is the biz and the ladies love it.

Where did people get it done and how much was it?

THANKS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭Drazhar

Back + Shoulder Waxing: Sore, no two ways about it bud it hurts, especially around the side of you armpit or the side of your back, sore sore sore. But if your feel you want it done, then suck it up guy, grab a beer, cook some steak, cut some wood, then get your back waxed.

My advice, get some female friends to do it, their evil streak will come out (Driect Quote from my own experience: "Now you know how we feel, ya b4strd") but at least they went really fast, and i was drinking whisky!!!

Be aware of the following: If you really hairy, it will bleed some, will tingle for a bit, shirts will feel weird for a day or two, but its not unbearable

Cost: 1 tub of wax. Result: Justification of drinking session!!

Original poster here. Thanks for all the posts so far. Well no doubt about it but there have been some varying reports. Drazhar I think you have almost put me off. I presume if it is done professionally (ie not at home) the pain is not as bad. I remember hearing a piece on the Gerry Ryan show about Brazilian Waxing for women. A professional was over from the states (who was on the show) and said that if the treatment is done properly it shouldn't hurt. Something to do with the ointment they use or something like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

They do Brazilian waxing in the hair salon on Baggot street, beside Eddie Rockets and opposite Tescos. Ironically there are two very well pruned bushes positioned each side of the entrance.

Advertisement