Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

smart problem

• 07-10-2005 10:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭

Before i go any further, i have to say that i'm a complete f*ckwit when it comes to computers... beyomd playing games and writing letters , i know nothing, so...

i got smart bb in. set up went fine, no bother. the system crashes occassionally especially in BF1942, for some reason. i subscribed to an MP3 site, xtreme mp3 and since then it crashes at least every hour. i'm unsure if the two are related, anyone else have similar probs? I have windows xp .

another quick question. when in bf1942 or the mp3 site, i'm asked what is my connection i.e. 56k dial-up etc... what is my connection??

see, told you i knew nowt

any help appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

#Elites wrote:
    go to your modem and look at the back, should be a buton to RESET it. wich will clear its cache.

Er no it wont! This is terrible advice to give someone who quite openly admitsthat he doesnt know much about computers (no offence meant landser!).

All it will do is reset his modem back to defaults, with the wrong details and the wrong username and password - Meaning no internet for landser until he fills them all back in :)

Just say No landser!

(The rest of what he said was fine though - go and run a good ol up do date virus checker and get an anti spyware program or two (The microsoft one isnt bad - go google it))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Snaga wrote:
    Er no it wont! This is terrible advice to give someone

I concur.
    landser wrote:
    another quick question. when in bf1942 or the mp3 site, i'm asked what is my connection i.e. 56k dial-up etc... what is my connection??

You usually have a few DSL options in those lists. Your connection is "2Mb DSL" or "2Mb BroadBand". However, some would recommend that you go an option or 2 below your connection level (because of your slower upload speed), so it depends on the application.

.cg

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Snaga wrote:
    Er no it wont! This is terrible advice to give someone who quite ...........................

(The rest of what he said was fine though - go and run a good ol up do date virus checker and get an anti spyware program or two (The microsoft one isnt bad - go google it))

Microsoft antispyware

AVG free antivirus

Download it run the update and then scan your pc.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭arikv

landser wrote:

see, told you i knew nowt

any help appreciated

Regarding your connection speed, you need to choose DSL when prompted.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 tones_ie

i got smart bb in. set up went fine, no bother. the system crashes occassionally especially in BF1942, for some reason. i subscribed to an MP3 site, xtreme mp3 and since then it crashes at least every hour. i'm unsure if the two are related, anyone else have similar probs? I have windows xp .

When you say "crashes"...does the pc freeze..does it just reboot...do you get an error pop up asking to send the relevant details to microsoft or is it something else altogether? .... if ya get the m/soft error pop up...try going to details on it and copy and paste that info into here....might help the "techies" tell whats going on...

Im no gamer..:) but is ure pc up to running the game u mention...? Although the fact u say its happening all the time now when u visit that website leads me to believe its not the game on its own...

As for virus/spyware....could very well be....
    do u have any antivirus and anti-spyware running (up to date) ??...

Another good free anti spyware is spybot search and destroy...

Spybot
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html
    download install and run the live update to get the latest definitions..

You can also use online scanners if you prefer...trend micro is a good one.
    Anti-Spyware scanner
    http://www.trendmicro.com/spyware-scan/

Anti Virus scanner
    http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

Best of luck.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭landser

thanks. i'll give these a try.

Advertisement